FokkerVII
Topic Author

Does BA Club World Check-in Have More 'power'?

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:32 am

I travel with BA on a fairly frequent basis and have Silver status. This allows me to check-in at the club World/Europe desks. I do not always travel club and for leisure I am always at the back. However, I seem to get many more upgrades when checking in at the Club desks. Once my wife and I even got bumped from World Traveller (economy) to Club World (business) on a flight LHR-JFK after checking in with the business guys.

The question I have is: Do the Check-in staff at the business class desks have more leeway in handing out upgrades? No need to focus on BA that was just where I had my experience.

Thanks

Gofly

RE: Does BA Club World Check-in Have More 'power'?

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:42 am

Quoting FokkerVII (Thread starter):
The question I have is: Do the Check-in staff at the business class desks have more leeway in handing out upgrades? No need to focus on BA that was just where I had my experience.

Doubt it.

The reason you got your upgrade was probably because you checked in with your FF status. I believe FF are the first to be offered upgrades. Correct me if I'm wrong though.  Smile

-Gofly  Smile
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

MarshalN

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:45 am

Quoting Gofly (Reply 1):
The reason you got your upgrade was probably because you checked in with your FF status. I believe FF are the first to be offered upgrades. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sounds like the answer to me.

There's a reason you're allowed to check in at the business counter, and not the regular one. The same reason gives you priority for upgrades and what not.

BAxMAN

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:19 am

The decision to upgrade individual passengers is usually made long before you arrive at the airport.

During the flight editing stage, it will be worked out whether the flight is overbooked or possibly look at other SSR comments for check-in. When making the decision, they will usually look at fare paid or FF status and then it is just up to the check-in agent to give you the good news.

Those pax who travel on full fare tickets or have decent status will probably choose to check-in at dedicated desks rather than with a scrum of the unwashed at the normal check-in area which is why the probability of getting upgraded at business class check-in desks seems higher. But regardless of where you choose to check-in, the decision to upgrade you is rarely a spontaneous decision of the check-in agent.
I need to get laid

BA0284

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:40 am

Well this summer, I got upgraded from Club World to First on a ticket redeemed from BA points!! Oh..and I'm a Blue executive club member!! I did check in online, and I think I was sequence number 1, don't know if this has any input on it?!

I was only told that I had been upgraded whilst at the gate before getting on?!

I think there are many reasons why they upgrade certain people.

BA0284  Smile

Richard28

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:46 am

Although this is not always true. I had a double bump from economy to Upper class on VS (LAX-LHR) when I wasn't even a member of their flying club (I am now!) - the check in supervisor explained at the gate that I looked suitable (weird as I had just come from a 48 hour drink/gambling binge in Vegas - and was in Jeans/t-shirt and un-shaven!)

(I had used the economy check-in for this flight)

I can only assume I was very lucky, and there was a shortage of "status" down the back of the plane on that particular day.

I know from staff at v-flyer that most VS upgrades are decided in advance of the flight however it would seem that there is sometimes the need to be flexible on the day - as I experienced.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos