Cadet57
Topic Author

LCC Alliance?

Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:59 am

Hello folks, new here to a.net and a friend and I were discussing this recently, now that the US/HP merger is creating a international LCC, this got me to thinking, what about a lcc alliance? For example pax fly to LGW on US, then connect to other euopean destinations on U2, FR, or other lcc's out there, or even domestic LCC'S working together. Then US alliance would seem to me like it would drasticly lower fares for american pax connecting though to europe. What is everyones idea of this?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Byrdluvs747

RE: LCC Alliance?

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:18 am

That won't happen for the same reason HP had to end the BA partnership. It simply wouldn't go over well with LH and the other European partners.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

Tango-Bravo

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:43 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Thread starter):
Then US alliance would seem to me like it would drasticly lower fares for american pax connecting though to europe. What is everyones idea of this?

Given the current state of yields, lowering fares is exactly what airlines, including LCCs, don't need. For the same reason, what airlines need even less is the combination of lower fares and the revenue-diluting effect of codeshares that go hand-in-hand with alliances. When it comes to the latter, it seems for the most part that LCCs "get it."

petazulu

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:52 am

I always thought JetBlue and Frontier should form an alliance. Nothing fancy- but maybe they could coordinate things for greater connections in Denver and JFK? Similar product, similar competitors, and they don't compete against each other....

CO737800

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:42 pm

I don't see why Westjet and Southwest or Jetblue don't offer code share. I think Jetblue would be a better mix for Westjet but I think they could do good business

Aleksandar

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:34 pm

Hmm, alliance between LCCs in Europe seems like science-fiction to me. They all have extremely agressive advertisement campaign and often those campaigns are more against LCC rivals than against major airlines.

As for alliance between, for example some US major airline and European LCC or European major airline and US LCC, well, that sounds interesting. Who knows, if some of them find financial interests in doing something like that, they will definitely go for it. For the time being, there is no need for it. The biggest airlines in Europe are in one of the global alliances.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos