viasa

Nationwide Search 747/767

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:19 am

Nationwide Airlines of South Africa would phase in two Boeing 747-400 and one B767-200 or B767-300 (dry-lease).

Source: SpeedNews

Where would CE flies with this three aircraft?

At the moment CE flies with this fleet: http://www.ch-aviation.ch/aircraft.p...tor=AND&airline=CE&al_op=1&start=0

The only long-range aircraft is now at ZRH for maintenance.

dogfighter2111

RE: Nationwide Search 747/767

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:24 am

Maybe this will be the start of EU ops for them?

http://www.flynationwide.co.za/ (Website offline at the moment. Check later)

Thanks
Mike

viasa

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:33 am

Is I know they fly three times from Johannesburg to London (LGW) - but I'm not sure.

ZSOFN

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:24 am

Quoting Dogfighter2111 (Reply 1):
Maybe this will be the start of EU ops for them?

They already fly LGW but there's been talk of expanding a lot in Europe. Clearly things have gone well so far with their 763 (although I'm just guessing - never been on the route), and with LON-JNB being generally so busy with something like 5 daily 744s already serving JNB from LHR (VS seasonal), perhaps CE acquiring a 744 isn't quite as over-optimistic as it initially sounds.

dogfighter2111

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:27 am

Quoting ZSOFN (Reply 3):

Soz, that's what I meant. I meant expansion in EU.

It would be great to see them expand in the EU more.

Thanks
Mike

B742

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:33 am

I would love to see Nationwide receive two 747's and see them at LGW!

Would Nationwide ever make the switch to LHR, or are they happy enough at LGW?

I wonder where they would use the other additional a/c, maybe a new service to the US or Asia as well as Europe?

Rob!  wave 

SA006

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:42 am

I think CE , with the new aircraft , would expand into Germany (probably MUC as they originally intended with the second 763 they were to receive ages ago , but cancelled) and most likely JNB-LOS which they were planning to serve with a 757 they intended to purchase.

Those seem the routes most likely to happen for now.

-SA006
Proudly South African

BBJII

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:42 am

Nationwide are happy at LGW.

They serve the same market as LHR (Southern UK) and have great fares with good yeilds.

The also pick up alot of freight out of LGW from the US routes. This freight was previously roaded from LGW to LHR for BA/VS/SA.

Close working with DAS AirCargo, CE has seen alot of Entebbe freight moved to CE from DAS.
Remember: The Bird Hit You, You Didn't Hit The Bird.....

ZSOFN

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:54 am

Quoting BBJII (Reply 7):
Nationwide are happy at LGW.

They serve the same market as LHR (Southern UK) and have great fares with good yeilds.

The also pick up alot of freight out of LGW from the US routes. This freight was previously roaded from LGW to LHR for BA/VS/SA.

Close working with DAS AirCargo, CE has seen alot of Entebbe freight moved to CE from DAS.

Despite the fact LGW is seen as inferior to LHR in pretty much every way, there is undeniably a great market for CE there. There's a large SA population around South London so getting to LGW isn't a problem for many people.

BBJII, I wasn't aware of the cargo agreements but it sounds like a real winner. I guess if a 744 was introduced on this route this would be a great benefit in terms of cargo (we all know about the 763's cargo capabilities).

So I don't see them moving to LHR - the cost and likelihood of acquiring slots is a big barrier to entry before any other considerations, and fares could only increase, with direct competition from BA, SA & VS. What CE already has to a certain extent is a niche market.

About increasing EU ops - would AMS be a consideration? I'm surprised JNB-AMS isn't a bigger market than it is with Dutch/Afrikaans links etc.

georgiabill

Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:58 am

Would a 777-200er be a viable alternative for a 744? I know finding one may be problematic! I think if Nationwide was to expand assuming they could find available aircraft(maybe Delta and their somewhat orphan 7 strong fleet) would be a suitable aircraft for their immediate needs. The 767-300er's would be great if they wanted to do flights within Africa.

A342

Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:45 pm

Quoting SA006 (Reply 6):
I think CE , with the new aircraft , would expand into Germany (probably MUC as they originally intended with the second 763 they were to receive ages ago

They wanted to serve MUC ?  eyepopping  You completely surprised me ! Thx for the info ! By flying to MUC they would kick SA´s and LH´s ass who don´t !  dopey 
Exceptions confirm the rule.

ZSOFN

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:27 pm

Quoting Georgiabill (Reply 9):
Would a 777-200er be a viable alternative for a 744? I know finding one may be problematic! I think if Nationwide was to expand assuming they could find available aircraft(maybe Delta and their somewhat orphan 7 strong fleet) would be a suitable aircraft for their immediate needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if CE are finding that particularly on their LGW route they need some serious capacity, and moreover 744s may be easier and cheaper to acquire at this point in time. If they were to step up to a daily LGW service they'd still only be offering half the capacity of SA or BA to LHR.

If VS can regularly use its 744s on the route whilst up against direct competition from BA and SA in LHR, I would think CE could do the same at LGW with cheaper fares. Incidentally if the LGW route has been so successful for CE then VS might get interested in starting services from LGW...

ETStar

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:42 pm

Quoting BBJII (Reply 7):

CE does not serve Entebbe. Is it just me who finds something wrong with this statement? Also, if freight going to EBB, why go down to JNB before flying back up?

Quoting A342 (Reply 10):
They wanted to serve MUC ? eyepopping You completely surprised me ! Thx for the info ! By flying to MUC they would kick SA´s and LH´s ass who don´t ! dopey

Was the MUC service announced by that never-flew airline, African Star?

ETStar

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:47 pm

Also, doubt JNB-LOS for CE, with VK now being in the scene... and it appears that South African will be reducing its flights to just 4x per week as of November, from the current daily.

miaskies

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:51 pm

Some months ago their were talks about Nationwide possibly serving CPT-MIA could this hint at that?

or w/ SA leaving ATL will they return to MIA?
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

SA006

Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:24 am

Quoting ETStar (Reply 13):

Yes , I beleive the Nigerian goverment has a limit for the number of flights SAA can operate into LOS since their interest lies in their own airlines so it seems CE won't be able to get LOS. But I am pretty sure another destination into Africa would be a very good possibility.

Quoting MIASkies (Reply 14):
Some months ago their were talks about Nationwide possibly serving CPT-MIA could this hint at that?

That is a possibility. But its all a guessing game at the moment.

Quoting A342 (Reply 10):
They wanted to serve MUC ? You completely surprised me ! Thx for the info ! By flying to MUC they would kick SA´s and LH´s ass who don´t !

Yes. It was even rumoured when SAA announced they were to join Star , they would serve MUC but , has never happened.

Quoting ZSOFN (Reply 8):
About increasing EU ops - would AMS be a consideration? I'm surprised JNB-AMS isn't a bigger market than it is with Dutch/Afrikaans links etc.

I see more of a market available in Germany than in Holland. KLM would be direct and stiff competition for CE.

-SA006
Proudly South African

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos