OOer
Topic Author

Delta To Fly International From SLC

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:05 pm

Under the news tab it says "Delta to fly international from SLC" can anyone who has access to that share and tell everyone what its all about, or someone who knows what its about can share their information with all of us. Thanx.

syncmaster

RE: Delta To Fly International From SLC

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:06 pm

They fly to Mexico and I would assume Canada from SLC, maybe they'll be going somewhere else?

deltaguy767

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:09 pm

Quoting Syncmaster (Reply 1):
maybe they'll be going somewhere else?

Maybe, but where? It doesn't seem that they would be able to make demand for a flight to the Carribean or Latin America with decent loads. Just my thoughts.

From BDL  wave  (finally getting coast to coast service with Song, eat that WN)
DeltaGuy767
A Good Landing is one you walk away from!

sw733

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:12 pm

I've seen this a long time coming. I am curious maybe if they started a flight to London or Frankfurt, some high demand city like that, if their west coast customers would prefer to change there as opposed to a city like New York, which can be a hastle, or Atlanta, which is kind of out of the way between places like Seattle and even LA to Europe.

IADLHR

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:14 pm

Any chance it would be SLC-CDG?

FlyPNS1

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:23 pm

Only Canada/Mexico for now....and probably for a long time.

OOer
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:26 pm

I was thinking more of SLC-FRA, SLC-CDG, SLC-FCO, SLC-LHR....
Those seem to be the busy international destinations for DL right now. Maybe a SLC-MXP?

LGAtoIND

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:28 pm

I would think that CDG would make the most sense, due to the many connection opportunities with AF. Plus, there will be many tourists from the West.

LambertMan

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:30 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 3):
I've seen this a long time coming. I am curious maybe if they started a flight to London or Frankfurt, some high demand city like that, if their west coast customers would prefer to change there as opposed to a city like New York, which can be a hastle, or Atlanta, which is kind of out of the way between places like Seattle and even LA to Europe.

They aren't flying to Europe out of SLC, I can assure you. Cincinnati is there for a reason and as an alternative to Atlanta and New York(mainly o/d traffic, less feed). Add in the fact that CVG's flights to Europe are probably almost purely feed, you'd more than likely see some real adverse effects on CVG-LGW etc.

rdwootty

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:36 pm

Sorry but Delta cannot fly to LHR because of Bermuda 3, they can fly to LGW/STN if they want also now any nonlondon airport with fifth freedom to other places. How about you guys in US allowing fifth freedom over there in the land of the free!! Can you imagine flying BA ORD-LAS

LongbowPilot

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:52 pm

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 9):
Can you imagine flying BA ORD-LAS

That is why there are codeshares. Essentially you are flying BA ORD-LAS just not on their equipment.

deltaguy767

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:54 pm

Can you imagine flying BA ORD-LAS

Well didn't Brainff have some cockamamey contract with BA about some whacky codesharing flights? I rememeber that it had something to do with the Concorde.

Form BDL,
DeltaGuy767
A Good Landing is one you walk away from!

DAL767400ER

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:37 pm

Sorry but Delta cannot fly to LHR because of Bermuda 3

Actually, it's Bermuda 2.

Quoting OOer (Reply 6):
I was thinking more of SLC-FRA, SLC-CDG, SLC-FCO, SLC-LHR....
Those seem to be the busy international destinations for DL right now. Maybe a SLC-MXP?

Dream on.

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 4):

The only somewhat realistic chance of Euro service SLC has, thanks to the AF hub.

Quoting OOer (Thread starter):
Under the news tab it says "Delta to fly international from SLC" can anyone who has access to that share and tell everyone what its all about, or someone who knows what its about can share their information with all of us. Thanx.

As stated in another thread, DL will (re-)start service to YEG, and is considering both MEX and GDL service.

TS-IOR

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:10 pm

...and why not SLC-China or Japan  Wink

NetworkDoc

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:13 pm

Surprised they are starting SLC up again for internationals after dismantling SLC completely in 1996/1997 (when the still had 24 international destinations from SLC). From past data (seats/frequency in OAG), DL have sporadically tried to run different sets/individual routes from SLC since dismantling, but since it has obviously not worked in the past (i.e. destinations varied completely from year to year), I wonder what the rationale is for re-starting...

Does anyone know if the intention is to run a few select routes for O-D traffic or whether the intention is to use SLC as a Western US (mini) hub for international flights?
Flown: AB/BA/BD/BI/CX/DI/DL/KE/KL/LH/LT/LX/MH/NW/OZ/PR/QF/SN/SQ/TW/UA/VS/5J.

ltbewr

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:18 pm

Why not bia DL to someplace like the LGW/LHR or FRA or even an Asian destination? SLC is the home of the Church of Latter-day-Saints (Mormons) who travel all over the world. The SLC area also has an increasing number of high-tech businesses, you have world class skiing nearby (don't forget the 2002 Winter Olympics was there) as well as a lot of tourism in the region at other parts of the year. Perhaps they could start a flight there, then continue to a 2nd city then onward to those international destinations. SLC probably isn't as crazy as many other airports as to weather, traffic so if miminal delays, could be a good place for some intercontinental services

loisencroach

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:30 pm

Quoting NetworkDoc (Reply 14):
(when the still had 24 international destinations from SLC)

When was this, and what destinations were these? Unless it was a charter, I don't remember anything ever leaving SLC to another continent, and 24 destinations can't just be Canada and Mexico. Maybe I am wrong...can someone give me more insight into this?

Thanks....

NetworkDoc

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:48 pm

Quoting Loisencroach (Reply 16):
When was this, and what destinations were these? Unless it was a charter, I don't remember anything ever leaving SLC to another continent, and 24 destinations can't just be Canada and Mexico. Maybe I am wrong...can someone give me more insight into this?

For the time period 1994-2003, OAG/BACK comes up with the following destinations served by DL from SLC, excluding North America:

AMS
ATH
BCN
BKK
BOM
BRU
CPH
CUN
FCO
FRA
GDL
HKG
HMO
LGW
MAD
MAN
MEX
MUC
MXP
MZT
NCE
NGO
NRT
ORY
PVR
SEL
STR
SVO
TPE
TXL
ZRH

For the same period, 1994-2003, the following three Canadian destinations are listed:

YEG
YVR
YYC

Most of the above were served up until 1996. The OAG search was on seats and frequencies and excludes flights with equipment changes. As they are in OAG, they must have been scheduled flights.

From today's standpoint this data seems rather incredible. Is it accurate? Does anyone from DL out there know what happened at SLC in the past? I personally find the breadth of destinations listed in OAG quite amazing...
Flown: AB/BA/BD/BI/CX/DI/DL/KE/KL/LH/LT/LX/MH/NW/OZ/PR/QF/SN/SQ/TW/UA/VS/5J.

DAL767400ER

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:56 pm

That list doesn't really depict the actual number of international destinations, as except for a few Mexican destinations, all of of those destinations were NOT NONSTOP. They were just mere connection possibilities. You wouldn't actually believe that DL would operate SLC-SVO nonstop.

loisencroach

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:15 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 18):
all of of those destinations were NOT NONSTOP

That's what I thought.

Did DL even have equipment that could have flown half of these routes if they WERE nonstop? I don't think the MD-11 can even make SLC-HKG nonstop.

And, FYI, Mexico is in North America. Common mistake for people on other continents.

laca773

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:26 pm

It would be nice to see DL offer at least one trans-atlantic crossing, perhaps as someone mentioned, SLC-CDG with a AF codeshare would work? I think it would do well in terms of convience for West Coast Travelers as well as those from Europe who want to travel to Hawaii [if there's a decent enough market for passengers transiting to HNL, OGG, KOA....].

LACA773

Kahala777

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:32 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 8):
Add in the fact that CVG's flights to Europe are probably almost purely feed, you'd more than likely see some real adverse effects on CVG-LGW etc.

Perhaps you havent been reading, as of late Cincinnati has been dropping flights left and right. Add to the fact that Cincinnati has to rely almost solely on connectng traffic, compared to Salt Lake with a hearty O.D market. It is possible to see Salt Lake City connected to Amsterdam, Paris, Gatwick, and Frankfurt. If Delta brings each of those cities online from Salt Lake, look for the 767-300, or 767-400. You will not be seeing a 777-200 from Salt Lake to anywhere for a very, very long time. For the meantime Delta is not going to get overly zealous with Long Haul international routes.

KAHALA777

DAL767400ER

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:36 pm

Quoting Loisencroach (Reply 19):
Did DL even have equipment that could have flown half of these routes if they WERE nonstop?

Only if those routes were either operate once weekly, or by doing a Southwest, ala SLC-LGW-SVO-ATH-MAD-SLC  Silly .

DCAYOW

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:44 pm

Sorry but Delta cannot fly to LHR because of Bermuda 3, they can fly to LGW/STN if they want also now any nonlondon airport with fifth freedom to other places. How about you guys in US allowing fifth freedom over there in the land of the free!! Can you imagine flying BA ORD-LAS

Although Nevadan's might consider themselves foreign from those from Illinois, there is no getting aruond the fact that ORD-LAS is not 5th freedom - It is cabotage, which the UK has never allowed as well.
Retorne ao céu...

DeltaMIA

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:54 pm

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 21):
For the meantime Delta is not going to get overly zealous with Long Haul international routes.

You mean from SLC right?
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

Kahala777

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:05 pm

Quoting DeltaMIA (Reply 24):
You mean from SLC right?

Yes both Salt Lake and Cincinnati. Delta Airlines, is focusing on building the strongest O.D. and business driven markets. In Delta Airlines system that is New York and Atlanta. Dont look for any kind of exotic flights to be added to Cincinnati. I dont feel the future is to bright for Cincinnati. In Delta Airlines new business model, one of the hubs needs to be taken out. Salt Lake is much to valuable. Most of what is flown from Cincinnati is already served from Atlanta, and New York.

KAHALA777

BigGSFO

Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:20 pm

SLC simply doesn't have the O&D to sustain a non-stop intercontinental flight. Yes SLC does have a lot of feed from the West Coast/Rocky Mountain areas but I do not think that would be enough. In addition the higher yielding traffic isn't in SLC either. Yes, the arguements can made about the growing Utah economy and of course the Mormon Church, but seriously I do not think it would be enough to fill even a 767 to an alliance hub like CDG.

With that being said, I could be proven wrong and a surprise success (ala AMS-MEM) could be inaugurated, but it is highly unlikely in my opinion.

Speaking of CDG it seems that US based airlines are having a hard time making CDG non-stops West of Texas work. In the past we had AA CDG-LAX, CDG-SJC and UA CDG-LAX and soon-to-be-shelved CDG-SFO.

2travel2know

Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:59 pm

I can imagine SLC-NRT 3-4 weekly and SLC-SJO/LIR + SLC-CUN 1-2 weekly.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

Kahala777

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:06 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 26):
Speaking of CDG it seems that US based airlines are having a hard time making CDG non-stops West of Texas work. In the past we had AA CDG-LAX, CDG-SJC and UA CDG-LAX and soon-to-be-shelved CDG-SFO.

None of the above mentioned airlines are in bed with another airline, the way that Air France and Delta are tied at the hip. Delta Airlines, could surely fill SLC-CDG with connecting traffic April-October. There is no doubt that would not work. Year-Round is a bit of a stretch for such a routing. If anything else the 767-300, -400 could operate SLC-CDG spring/summer, and SLC-HNL (additional) fall/winter. It is possible. Look at how shocked everyone was when DL added CVG-FCO, CVG-AMS, and the new talk of JFK-KBP.

KAHALA777

MAH4546

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:35 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 27):
I can imagine SLC-NRT 3-4 weekly and SLC-SJO/LIR + SLC-CUN 1-2 weekly.

They already fly SLC-CUN daily.
a.

Avianca

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:44 am

Quoting IADLHR (Reply 4):

I think it would be the only destination in Europe for the moment as they could offer many conections to India, Europe, MiddleEast and Africa from CDG with AF in code-share.

regards
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Whataboutme

Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:00 am

Well drop the bermuda 2 and let more US carriers in LHR and maybe we over here in the "Land Of the Free", will let BA pick up people in ORD and carry them to LAS, but why would they. That route is already competative and over crowded.
Living in SLC for 3 years in the early 90's, I don't recall DL having international flights. Hell they finally fly to Hawaii from SLC non-stop instead of going through LAX like they did for many many years. I flew to LAX on the L10 that went on the HNL.
I think a few int'l flights to LGW or CDG or even FRA would work for them from SLC, because DL is a large carrier on the west, that they could do well feeding those flights. Plus DL has their loyal customers that would fly them for the miles.

LambertMan

Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:11 am

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 21):
Perhaps you havent been reading, as of late Cincinnati has been dropping flights left and right. Add to the fact that Cincinnati has to rely almost solely on connectng traffic, compared to Salt Lake with a hearty O.D market

They are cutting the fat in Cincinnati. The routes they are cutting are simply extra frequencies that are just not needed. But you make my point saying that Cincinnati has to rely solely on connecting traffic. If flights from SLC were started, passengers from say PDX could be routed through SLC and CVG. Then you have a half full 767 leaving from SLC and CVG, neither of which makes a profit since neither one could fill the flights on their own.

Kahala777

Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:55 am

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 32):
Then you have a half full 767 leaving from SLC and CVG, neither of which makes a profit since neither one could fill the flights on their own.

You made my day with that one! I have thought for years that Delta Airlines needed to focus on money makers of Atlanta and New York. It boggles my mind why they go for CVG-FCO, CVG-AMS, when they can route the flights through existing money-making O/D markets.

Now that Northwest Airlines has pulled the plug on JFK-NRT, is it at all possible for Delta Airlines to move a 772 to JFK for service to NRT? It would make sense, since there definitely is demand in the market. Premium traffic on JFK-NRT, is much heavier than that of a 772 ATL-LGW, ATL-CDG.

KAHALA777

OOer
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:44 am

If DL added a SLC-CDG flight it wouldnt go out 1/2 full. It would go out 80-90% full everytime I guarantee it. Skywest has over 200 flights going into SLC...I bet SLC could fill 2 763s to Europe daily!!! Many people from the rocky mountain region go to Denver to take the direct flight to FRA and LHR because they hate the extra stop in already crowded ATL and JFK. If DL added some transatlantic flights out of SLC they would make money even if the flight was 1/2 full just from the amount of cargo they would take!!!

richierich

Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:33 am

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 33):
Now that Northwest Airlines has pulled the plug on JFK-NRT, is it at all possible for Delta Airlines to move a 772 to JFK for service to NRT? It would make sense, since there definitely is demand in the market. Premium traffic on JFK-NRT, is much heavier than that of a 772 ATL-LGW, ATL-CDG.

Finally somebody on this thread makes some sense! I was actually laughing out loud thinking of SLC-MXP and SLC-FRA. Come on... this is a company in bad financial health and the last thing they need is poor use of their equipment. JFK-NRT might have competition for sure but at least it is a viable market and one they could enter relatively painlessly. The biggest drawback to this route is acquiring a 777 or two from elsewhere in their schedule, as well as the necessary costs for marketing and promoting the new route.
None shall pass!!!!

jetboy319

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:42 am

Quoting OOer (Reply 34):
I bet SLC could fill 2 763s to Europe daily!!!

That's funny!  Smile I needed a good laugh today, "Get Fuzzy" and "Dilbert" just didn't do enough for me today.... hehehe

N1120A

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:44 am

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 28):
-400 could operate SLC-CDG spring/summer,

It can't make the route reliably when full

Quoting Whataboutme (Reply 31):
because DL is a large carrier on the west

No it isn't. United is a large carrier in the West. Alaska is a large carrier in the west. Southwest is a large carrier in the west. Delta is not a large carrier in the west
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BigGSFO

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:14 am

Quoting OOer (Reply 34):
It would go out 80-90% full everytime I guarantee it.

Really? I doubt it. SLC-Europe is a thin market at best. The major population centers west of SLC (LAX, SFO, SEA, LAS, PHX) already have non-stops to Europe themselves (except SAN). Do you honestly think high yield passengers will fly LAX-SLC-LGW when they could jump on AA/BA/VS/UA non-stop to Heathrow? The cities that don't have European non-stops, such as Boise, Pasco and Fresno, can't provide enough feed to fill a 767 non-stop SLC-Europe.

The other Rocky Mountain hub, Denver, which surpasses SLC in population, yield, feed and O&D only has 2 non-stops to Europe, none of which are operated by DEN's largest carrier, UA. In addition, there are no non-stops to Asia even with UA's NRT hub. So if it isn't feasible from DEN, it definitely won't be feasible from SLC.

Last if you think DL is committed to bringing transatlantic service to SLC, they would have done so by now. In fact in today's announcement of 11 new transatlantic flights, not a single one was slated for SLC.

Maybe in 10 years, but for now, I honesty do not think SLC can support any transoceanic flight aside from Hawaii.

Mason

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:05 am

BigGSFO, I agree with your logic. Interesting, however, that the SLC-Hawaii market can support a daily 764. This is not a high-yield market, and who connects in Hawaii? Does UA operate a DEN-Hawaii flight? If not, then there goes your argument, which is again, very good.

FlyIAD1

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:05 am

To answer DeltaGuy767 -- yes BA and AF had a code sharing agreement with Braniff during 1979. The BA and AF crews would fly Concorde to Dulles from Europe, a U.S. 'N' number registration was physically taped to the fuselage, and a Braniff crew flew the Concorde on to DFW at less than supersonic speed to avoid sonic booms, about Mach.96. I flew a round trip on a BA Concorde in Oct 1979 but it was actually a Braniff flight. The fare was equivalent to first class IAD-DFW. It lasted about a year and became economically unfeasible but it was exciting while it lasted!

Skip17

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:07 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 15):

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 15):
Why not bia DL to someplace like the LGW/LHR or FRA or even an Asian destination? SLC is the home of the Church of Latter-day-Saints (Mormons) who travel all over the world. The SLC area also has an increasing number of high-tech businesses, you have world class skiing nearby (don't forget the 2002 Winter Olympics was there) as well as a lot of tourism in the region at other parts of the year

I don't see an Asian route in the next decade for SLC...or never for that matter. But like you said the skiing, mormon church, and a strong connecting load from the West could push SLC to be a good
market for DL at CDG or LGW. I can't see any other places that would SLC could hold up.

Kahala777

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:13 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
No it isn't. United is a large carrier in the West. Alaska is a large carrier in the west. Southwest is a large carrier in the west. Delta is not a large carrier in the west

Just so that you know, Delta Airlines traffic at Salt Lake City, is the near combined amount of American Airlines at Honolulu, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle, Sacramento, Orange County, San Diego, Ontario, Burbank, Long Beach, Portland, Phoenix, and Salt Lake combined. So I would refrain from saying that Delta Airlines is not a large carrier on the West Coast.

KAHALA777

malaysia

SLC-HNL-BKK with 764 hehe I wish

SLC-HNL-MNL might work?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

dia77

Quoting Mason (Reply 39):
Does UA operate a DEN-Hawaii flight?

UA flies DEN-HNL daily and DEN-KOA weekly.

dia77

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:17 am

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 42):
Just so that you know, Delta Airlines traffic at Salt Lake City, is the near combined amount of American Airlines at Honolulu, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle, Sacramento, Orange County, San Diego, Ontario, Burbank, Long Beach, Portland, Phoenix, and Salt Lake combined. So I would refrain from saying that Delta Airlines is not a large carrier on the West Coast.

It's more than the combined amount of Continental, ATA and Midwest too, but American isn't exactly a major player in the West either. Delta is nowhere near UA or WN out west.

Kahala777

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:24 am

Quoting DIA77 (Reply 45):
Delta is nowhere near UA or WN out west

Point is taken, I understand the logic.

KAHALA777

Skip17

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:25 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 43):
SLC-HNL-BKK with 764 hehe I wish

SLC-HNL-MNL might work?

Could never work! It would be interesting to see happen, but such a route could not be profitable. Sweet dreams, but I dont' see DL coming to the Phillipeans any time soon from any airport. cheers

OOer
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:50 pm

So you compare Den to SLC? Ok DEN gets more traffic etc than SLC and DEN has 2 non-stop flights to Europe, however those 2 flights are very full and operated by a 744 and a 772. From SLC 2X763 would equal to about the capacity of that 744, also DEN only has 1 daily service to Hawaii, and thats HNL with a 763, however SLC has 3X764 service to Hawaii...OGG - HNL - KOA (Starting in Dec). So in longhaul flights SLC has the edge over DEN. 750 seats compared to 200. So there are valid points in regards to both airports, however I hear the reason there are not more trans-atlantic flight from DEN because of the weight restriction the planes taking off would have due to the air density. So it wouldnt make sense for UA to start anything from DEN it they cant take a full load of pax and cargo, on the other hand SLC is about 2k feet lower than DEN therefore they would not have nearly as much of a problem. Someone from LAX probably would not go to SLC and catch a flight to Europe but out of the 8k passengers that skywest ALONE flies into SLC, I bet that at least 200(2.5%) would catch a plane to Europe. Add ASA pax and o/d pax to that number, and I am pretty sure you can fill 2X763 to separate destinations in Europe.

Skip17

Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:54 am

Quoting OOer (Reply 48):
So you compare Den to SLC? Ok DEN gets more traffic etc than SLC and DEN has 2 non-stop flights to Europe, however those 2 flights are very full and operated by a 744 and a 772. From SLC 2X763 would equal to about the capacity of that 744, also DEN only has 1 daily service to Hawaii, and thats HNL with a 763, however SLC has 3X764 service to Hawaii...OGG - HNL - KOA (Starting in Dec). So in longhaul flights SLC has the edge over DEN. 750 seats compared to 200. So there are valid points in regards to both airports, however I hear the reason there are not more trans-atlantic flight from DEN because of the weight restriction the planes taking off would have due to the air density. So it wouldnt make sense for UA to start anything from DEN it they cant take a full load of pax and cargo, on the other hand SLC is about 2k feet lower than DEN therefore they would not have nearly as much of a problem. Someone from LAX probably would not go to SLC and catch a flight to Europe but out of the 8k passengers that skywest ALONE flies into SLC, I bet that at least 200(2.5%) would catch a plane to Europe. Add ASA pax and o/d pax to that number, and I am pretty sure you can fill 2X763 to separate destinations in Europe.

Wow well done...completely agree. Cheers