djmatthews

Is It The End For Britannia?

Mon May 15, 2000 9:39 pm

Having just seen the news, there are serious thoughts about Thomson Holidays (which own Britannia) being bought out by a German tour operator whos inhouse airline is Condor I beleive. Could we see the two airlines merging?

DJ Matthews

nimbus

Is It The End For Britannia?

Tue May 16, 2000 4:38 am

Isn't Condor owned by Lufthansa?
Britannia's german subsidiary Britannia GmbH would probably disappear in any take-over from Germany, but I think the name is too strong in the U.K. to be discarded.

RE: Is It The End For Britannia?

Tue May 16, 2000 5:11 am

I dont think Britannia Disapear.
No.I hope Britannia won't Disapear.
I would Hate too see the Market Shared by Airlines that have no History and where service is a joke.

Anyway,If thomsons was bought out by Gemans, they wouldn't change the name because no one would book a holiday with them and what is the point of Merging Britannia with a German Airline.
BTW..Condor is owned By Lufthansa so maybe you mean the bid from the Company which own Hagpag Lloyd and jmc. then Maybe jmc would merge with Britannia. But why would Thomsons want to be bought out when the are the largest Holiday Company in the World?

So many Questions but is there an answer.
Jet Setter!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

Click for large version

Photo © Juha Portti

Click for large version

Photo © Alexander Schwarz

Click for large version

Photo © Niklaus Brügger

One of the most easily reconisable Tails in the world!

UK FLY

RE: Is It The End For Britannia?

Tue May 16, 2000 6:16 am

Don't worry - Britannia is safe. Although Preussag will not be allowed to own Britannia and JMC - it is JMC that will be sold. As for a merger;
Britannia and Condor are too well established in their own markets - plus there are some differences which appear unsummountable;
Britannia operate in a much lower cost environment than Condor, so Britannia's 757s seat 235 while Condor's seat 201 etc... If the airline were merged on the UK model, Germans wouldn't tolerate the cramped conditions because they pay much higher fares, if they merged on the German model, their fares would be too high for the UK market and they wouldn't be able to fill the aircraft. To make money in the UK charter market you need load factors of 90%+...
Queen Bodessea will be staying where she is sitting for some time to come....It is the future of JMC that is in doubt (I don't mean the airline will go bust - just who the new owner will be - rumoured is Kuoni as a possible)