rootsair

Do You Think This Is Possible?

Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:59 pm

This project has been going on for at least 2years. Bertrand Piccard, first man to have achieved circumnavigating the world in a balloon with Brian Jones wants to circumnavigate the earth with a solar plane...here are more info

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/aviation/1701581.html
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

oly720man

RE: Do You Think This Is Possible?

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:08 pm

Anything is possible. I think that it will all depend on having enough battery charge during the day to give enough power in the dark to keep the motors running.

If he has to fly around the equator then he'll have 12 hours of dark and 12 hours of light, or thereabouts. Further north or south.... is that really flying round the world?
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

HAJFlyer

RE: Do You Think This Is Possible?

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:15 pm

"Another drawback of the airplane's low speed is that a trip around the world could take as long as 15 days. More time aloft means more food, water and supplies are needed"

"By the time each day dawns, Solar Impulse will have sunk to just 10,000 to 15,000 ft.--below the altitude at which clouds commonly form. If sunrise finds Solar Impulse struggling along beneath heavy cloud cover, it will be Game Over."

Let me get this straight:

- 40 hp
- 30 mph
- 15 days
- need for constant good weather
- massive payload restrictions
- today's battery technology

I don't think it will happen any time soon in spite of the massive advances in solar cell technology that have occurred recently. If we ever get light weight high capacity batteries he might stand a chance, but until then I am somewhat sceptical.

Nevertheless it would be great if Switzerland did mange to write aviation history one again.