BigGSFO
Topic Author

Coex Applies For LAX-SJD

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:37 pm

flyboyaz

RE: Coex Applies For LAX-SJD

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:42 pm

I think some of the routes they fly out of LAX warrant a 50 seater. But SJD is a big leisure market...can they make money with only 50 seats??
Catch a ride on a smile!

FCYTravis

Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:10 am

Moreover, would they be approved offering only a 50-seat RJ when other carriers want to bring mainline equipment to the route?
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

as739x

Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:11 am

Shouldn't take Alaska long to snuff this out. I just don't see taking a ERJ/CRJ vs. a 737/MD80. Specially if it comes down to the same price.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

drerx7

Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:19 am

This will come down to Continental brand loyalty. CO carries alot of people from S. Cal to Mexico/Latin America via Houston--I think they are aiming at the OnePassers that are local to L.A. Even still--they can get miles on AS with CO too right? I don't know the game plan on this one--a 733 makes more sense.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

N1120A

Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:28 am

Quoting Flyboyaz (Reply 1):
But SJD is a big leisure market...can they make money with only 50 seats??

Sure they can make money, but they cannot offer the same fares as the other carriers on the route that use larger aircraft. Additionally, SJD is a high yield leisure market that actually sells the forward cabin and CO would not be offering that. Price sensitive consumers, on the other hand, would not be able to get as good a price from CO as they can from AA or AS simply on CASM and economies of scale. I really don't see how they can give this to CO, given that LAX's hub carrier is applying to operate the route with mainline aircraft and even HP/US is planning on running an A320 if they get the route

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 4):
I don't know the game plan on this one--a 733 makes more sense.

The issue is that CO can't do with a 733 what they do with the ERJ's on the other Mexico routes. They would have to base a 733 in LAX, which would raise the costs of the route, as opposed to just turning an ERJ off of an IAH flight

Even still--they can get miles on AS with CO too right?

Sure, but why not just get them on Alaska, particularly when they fly aircraft with more seats, first class and can offer a cheaper price on CASM

This will come down to Continental brand loyalty. CO carries alot of people from S. Cal to Mexico/Latin America via Houston--I think they are aiming at the OnePassers that are local to L.A.

OnePass is weak in the L.A. area as compares to MileagePlus, AAdvantage and even World Perks and BA Executive Club from what I have seen.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

juventus

Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:08 pm

I just don't see COEX getting this route. UAL will probably snatch it up...

EA CO AS

Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:13 pm

I love CO - but if HP couldn't make this route work with regional jets, I doubt they can. Besides, as others have mentioned CO would have no feed and would rely on this market solely on O&D numbers alone.

UA will get the route authority, hands-down.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ikramerica

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:18 pm

Well, this will be a "midnight" flight I assume, which is what I understand Mexicans prefer. While other carriers will be doing daytime leisure flights, this flight will be for Mexican/LAX residents like the other 5 they run, all ERJ145s leaving after midnight. Those other flights do well, even with the larger competition. At least that's what I've been told.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

MAH4546

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 7):
but if HP couldn't make this route work with regional jets

HP hasn't flown this market. AA and AS have had the two designations for a while now, IIRC.
a.

A330323X

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:22 pm

I love CO - but if HP couldn't make this route work with regional jets, I doubt they can.

When exactly did HP fly this route with regional jets?  Confused

UA will get the route authority, hands-down.

I don't think it's that obvious. CO is offering the only daily year-round service. I do UA will get it, but it'll be close.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.