FATFlyer
Topic Author

Allegiant Announces ABE To SFB

Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:47 pm

As rumored, Allegiant announced service from Lehigh Valley International Airport to Orlando today.

Flights will operate Mon, Thurs, Fri and Sun. Leaves ABE at 12:40 pm. Arrives back at ABE at 12:05 pm.

http://www.allegiantair.com/pr/101805.htm
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Tornado82

RE: Allegiant Announces ABE To SFB

Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:02 am

Wow, a "real" airline running it, instead of a charter. (No offense to my Pace/Hooters friends though!)

Any chance of Allegiant hooking us back up with Vegas since Hooters quietly pulled their 757 out of town? I'm sure it would need a stop somewhere though, wouldn't it?

Anyone know whos doing ground ops? 35 minute turns will be a little quick with all that Florida luggage, considering anyone doing ground ops at ABE now is used to just stuffing 50 seat RJ's primarily.

MFEFlyer

Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:53 am

This is great for Allegiant, wow, what a great airline expanding rapidly.
Just a question, would G4 ever aquire other aircraft aside from the MD aircraft, such as a 752 or 738?
Valley Approach.....

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:00 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 1):
35 minute turns will be a little quick with all that Florida luggage

Interestingly the 35 minute turns seem to be the norm for nearly all the SFB flights. But the LAS runs are normally scheduled at 40 minute turns.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:07 am

Quoting MFEFlyer (Reply 2):
Just a question, would G4 ever aquire other aircraft aside from the MD aircraft, such as a 752 or 738?

I can only guess since they seem to surprise me more and more these days. But my feeling is that Allegiant will probably follow the example of Southwest and stay with 1 aircraft series for the near future.

[Edited 2005-10-18 18:08:45]

MFEFlyer

Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:10 am

Is the MD series capable of doing long haul flights, and would G4 ever consider doing LAS-SFB?
Valley Approach.....

iowaman

Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:57 am

Quoting MFEFlyer (Reply 5):
Is the MD series capable of doing long haul flights, and would G4 ever consider doing LAS-SFB?

Unless there was a stop, no. I don't see it happening in the near future in my opinion

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 1):
Any chance of Allegiant hooking us back up with Vegas since Hooters quietly pulled their 757 out of town? I'm sure it would need a stop somewhere though, wouldn't it?

Doubt it, since a stop would be required. TOL and LAN are already stretching the range of the MD-83 to LAS.

B757capt

Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:58 am

Good luck to G4. Our ABE-MCO flights have been running great.

As far as the quietly pulling the 757 out of town. Well hey if you cant make money somewhere you need to put it somewhere you can.

I doubt ABE-LAS especially if G4 wants to look at the piss poor loads we had out of there.
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

Tornado82

Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:09 am

Quoting B757capt (Reply 7):
As far as the quietly pulling the 757 out of town. Well hey if you cant make money somewhere you need to put it somewhere you can.

I'm not denying that, but a 757 was a pretty big bird for any run from ABE. Someone needs to talk to Mr. Doughty though, as of Sunday evening there was still a sign for LAS flights on Hooters at ABE.

One stormy night, I do remember seeing that thing landing here damn near full. The poor economy parking lot shuttle driver wasn't able to drop off all the customers at their trunks like normal, because he had a few bus loads still waiting at the terminal. In general though, too many people had WN on their brain here and were driving to PHL.

atcrick

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:50 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 4):
I can only guess since they seem to surprise me more and more these days

Oh my goodness!!! FATFlyer, sir, how could anything happening at G4 surprise you? You are the all knowing omnipotent one here!!!!

I think ABE will be a good market. I have good vibes about this one.

Cheers,

Atc Rick
natch!!

flyinryan99

Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:53 am

Another destination for Allegiant. Absolutely great! Glad to see they will be filling in the voids left by the other carriers that used to fly these routes. I know it's too late this season, but maybe in 2007 could Allegiant open up either MIA or FLL for cruise season and open up cruise packages? I was just wondering if they were thinking of that option as long term thinking. Thanks in advance if anyone has any info  Smile

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:02 am

Quoting ATCRick (Reply 9):
Oh my goodness!!! FATFlyer, sir, how could anything happening at G4 surprise you? You are the all knowing omnipotent one here!!!!

LOL oh yeah it still does. Like the announcement today of the new in-flight retail system to process credit cards. I thought it would be a while before we saw G4 adopt anything like that.
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...&newsId=20051018005239&newsLang=en

B757capt

Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:53 am

Well ABE does have LAS service via hooters but,......... Its a very very long day to get there. Only on Thursdays (outbound Sunday Return.) ABE-MYR 737-200 then 737-300 MYR-RFd-LAS. Return is the same just flipped routing.
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

Tornado82

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:28 am

That's a lonnnnnng day B757. How bad were the loads? Although a 733 doesn't have the legs to go ABE-LAS does it?

kcrwflyer

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:43 am

Rick, how many more ex TMA cities are left?

Tornado82

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:47 am

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 10):
but maybe in 2007 could Allegiant open up either MIA or FLL for cruise season and open up cruise packages?

I don't know if you know, but Hooters already runs ABE-FLL. I think it's 2x weekly. I'm sure B757 could help us with that.

IMHO, it would be prudent for Allegiant to advertise down 476 towards PHL more (say near Mid-County, for us locals), and out 78 into NJ a bit, as well.

atcrick

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:50 am

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 14):
Rick, how many more ex TMA cities are left?

Hi Kcrwflyer,

I don't know. We are about to rap up 2 weeks of flying for Funjet, who had TMA doing LAS-CLE and LAS-SAT service. Who knows whats next? Goodness knows where the next turn will take us. We are already starting SFB-PSM, SFB-SWF, SFB-ORH, LAS-TOL, and TOL-SFB service. FATFlyer, did I miss anything?????
natch!!

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:22 am

Quoting ATCRick (Reply 16):
FATFlyer, did I miss anything?????

I lose track too. Plus I'm told there is a strong possibility of another route announcement this week. Lots of rumored cities these days so I'm not even going to speculate.

kcrwflyer

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:24 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 17):
I lose track too. Plus I'm told there is a strong possibility of another route announcement this week. Lots of rumored cities these days so I'm not even going to speculate.

Come on. Just toss em all out there so that we allegiant fans can let our imaginations run wild.

loisencroach

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:37 am

I like both Hooters and Allegiant. Have from day 1. But if Hooters doesn't get their act together and start running their airline like an airline instead of a restaurant, Allegiant is going to eat Hooters (no pun intended).

Wait...I just thought of it....how about Hooters Girls on Allegiant as a severance? Maybe G4 can come up with their own brand of chiken wings, less greasy? Oh man....the brain cells are turnin' today!!!

[Edited 2005-10-18 23:39:06]

[Edited 2005-10-18 23:42:30]  box 

[Edited 2005-10-18 23:51:53]

B757capt

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:37 am

As of November 11th ALL of our Florida service of ABE and AVP will go to FLL, MCO and PIE 6 days a week, no Tuesday flights. BIG AIRCRAFT UTILIZATION. almost 14 hour block days.

NO the 733 CANNOT fly ABE-LAS nonstop and the AVERAGE loads wouldn't of filed a CRJ.

loisencroach

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:40 am

Quoting B757capt (Reply 20):

Can Gary take a fully loaded 757? I heard Hooters tried once but had to divert to RFD in the summer.

MFEFlyer

Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:40 am

Will G4 ever fly into larger cities (as an airline of course), such as LAX or IAH?
Valley Approach.....

loisencroach

Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:00 am

So, if Allegiant is going to keep it under 1,000,000 (with the exception of OKC), then this leaves Harrisburg and Syracuse in terms of covering TMA's service......

atcrick

Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:10 am

Quoting MFEFlyer (Reply 22):
Will G4 ever fly into larger cities (as an airline of course), such as LAX or IAH?

Hi Miguel,

Not if there is any direct competition in that market. The G4 market is underserviced markets and that niche seems to work. But, again, the guys making those decisions are very good at what they do and they have all the numbers. I have to support them as they have proven time and time again that they know what they are doing. I still think FATFlyer is a consultant here or something!!!
natch!!

loisencroach

Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:25 am

Quoting ATCRick (Reply 24):
I still think FATFlyer is a consultant here or something!!!

Both of you guys know all the insider stuff. I'm up here in Alaska, scraping up info second hand, thinking I'm so lucky because I got to see a fish on a 737 before California did, and you guys just keep coming out with the correct forecasts on the most innovative carrier in the U.S. fleet.

I'm moving to Rockford when I get my degree....I gotta get back into the Lower 48 loop.

Tornado82

Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:22 am

Here's the only problem for Allegiant... and I surely hope they can overcome it here in the Lehigh Valley. After Southeast, and TMA, perception of these smaller, less-heard of airlines is very low here in the Valley now. Hooters has the rep of being a well known name before they got into the airline business... which probably helps them. Unfortunately, even "water-cooler talk" at work today was people mumbling "Yeah, they'll go out of business with the rest of them" or something of that sort. Also there are the public comments in the newspaper's online edition's comment section, (Click "View Comments" here for the window to pop up)
http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,0,2098293.story?coll=all-news-hed

Good luck to Allegiant, but you might need some kind of PR campaign to undo the undeserved bad rep that those that have gone before you have done.

a/c dxer

Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:12 am

Let me say first I wish Allegiant good luck on their expansion plans. I'm just wondering if Allegiant is not overexpanding just a little bit to quick. I mean look at what they are doing at SFB. TMA tried the same thing when Southeast went under and look at where they are. From everything I read about TMA and Southeast was the loads on these routes were full but the yields were not. I would hate to see Allegiant make the same mistake as TMA.

Quoting Loisencroach (Reply 21):
Can Gary take a fully loaded 757? I heard Hooters tried once but had to divert to RFD in the summer.

Happened one time on the 757 due to high winds and temperatures. But we have ran full loads out of GYY with no problems.

Let me just say again that I wish good luck too Allegiant.

Tornado82

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:19 am

I just can't feasibly see how much demand can be to SFB from ABE, when Hooters is already running to MCO. I said that when TMA went under a couple weeks ago too. I wish everyone good luck, but I just can't see who's choosing SFB over MCO when the prices are equivalent.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:23 am

Quoting A/c dxer (Reply 27):
TMA tried the same thing when Southeast went under and look at where they are. From everything I read about TMA and Southeast was the loads on these routes were full but the yields were not.

I honestly did not pay much attention to Southeast and TMA's operations. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understood they mainly just sold seats.

One thing in Allegiant's favor is they sell the entire vacation package which lets them collect commission on hotel and car. I've been told a very high % (up around 80-85%) of the passengers booked a package through Allegiant Vacations, adding to the ticket revenue.

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 18):
Just toss em all out there so that we allegiant fans can let our imaginations run wild.

Oh its a lot of the usual suspects. BLV-SFB, one of the upstate NY airports, etc. Nothing I can pin down better right now. TMA and PanAM have changed the timelines on some cities Allegiant was looking at.

Quoting ATCRick (Reply 24):
I still think FATFlyer is a consultant here or something!!!

I wish. It would be nice to be adding some Allegiant checks to my company revenue but no I just speculate as an outsider.

tcttx

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:43 am

I don't recall the specific version, but in the 80s, AA flew IAD-LAX-IAD w/ MD80s on the red-eyes, so it's possible some long G4 flights aren't out of the question.

Also, back then in the early 80s, CO flew some IAD-LAX-IAD red-eyes with 733s.

N908AW

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:51 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 28):

Oh its a lot of the usual suspects. BLV-SFB, one of the upstate NY airports, etc. Nothing I can pin down better right now. TMA and PanAM have changed the timelines on some cities Allegiant was looking at.

SYR....

BLV-SFB would also be nice.
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:38 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 28):
I just can't feasibly see how much demand can be to SFB from ABE, when Hooters is already running to MCO. I said that when TMA went under a couple weeks ago too. I wish everyone good luck, but I just can't see who's choosing SFB over MCO when the prices are equivalent.

Looking at schedules I can see one advantage that Allegiant has. G4 will operate 4 days a week to start, Mon, Thurs, Fri and Sun. Hooters is flying to MCO only 3 days a week Thurs, Sat, and Sun. I'll find it interesting to see how much ABE travellers like to fly south on Mon and Fri.