lufthansi

Icao Airline Codes

Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:29 pm

I just found a list with all ICAO Airline Codes. But the code that are mentioned in there are only 3-letter-codes. Can anybody tell me where I can find more infos about 2-letter-codes? For example many VIP-jets have VP-xxx as registration. What does it mean? Is it a code for a country or of the company? Just have a look at the jets of Volkswagen Air Services. And what about all these Number-Letter-Codes? 5V-xxx for example? Any help is welcome!
Life starts at take-off!

HAJFlyer

RE: Icao Airline Codes

Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:35 pm

This might help:

http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/

Regards
HAJ

jorge1812

Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:16 am

Hi.
the three letter code of an airline is ICAO - DLH
the two letter code of an airline is IATA - LH
The VP-xxx stands for Cayman islands I think and is the Reg for the country where the plane is registered, as your car should have NL. The Country doesn't have to do anything with the letter code of the airline. Every two letter code airline has even a three letter code but not every three letter airline has a two letter code also. VP-xxx is mostly used to cut txws for airlines or companies. All Aeroflot western built planes are registered VP-
Hope that helped you and wasn't too confusing.
Georg.

lufthansi

Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:24 am

Ah! I see. I found it out by myself on the page mentioned above! Thank you for your help!!! But somehow it is sad to see that rich companies as Volkswagen need to register their aircrafts (VIP-Jets!!!) in those countries just to safe money. That's the same thing as with the huge container-ships which are using flags of the poorest countries too?!
Life starts at take-off!

bond007

Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:26 am

Quoting Lufthansi (Reply 3):
That's the same thing as with the huge container-ships which are using flags of the poorest countries too?!

Except Bermuda and the Cayman Islands are hardly the 'poorest countries' !

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!