Real-time Flight Tracking Outside The USA

Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:28 pm

I have just spent a few very entertaining hours experimenting with the possibilities of the live flight-tracker on I've been having a bit of a search, but I cannot find an equivalent that monitors the skies outside of US/Canadian airspace. Specifically, I'd love to be able to watch the progress of flights to/from HKG.

Does anyone know of such a service?

RE: Real-time Flight Tracking Outside The USA

Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:42 pm

There is very limited flight trackling outside of US airspace. You can get Europe/UK if you are approved and pay ATC fees (airline operator etc.). There is also some data available for Australia/New Zealand.

One possibility is the PC based Mode-S/ADS-B systems, but that relies on the aircraft having ADS-B installed and running. Also relies on some kind of database look-up of mode-s codes to get registration. This is great in the UK since most aircraft must have ADS-B.

Some of the ACARS products might be OK, but again relying on ACARS equipped aircraft sending real-time position data.

But...web based, there is little outside USA and limited in UK/Europe.

I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!