LongbowPilot
Topic Author

PTV's What Is The Big Deal

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:35 pm

I remember as a kid flying all over the world with my family. The rare and unique opportunity being a child in the Armed Forces system. I have had the opportunity to live in Germany and Japan. So I have traveled immensly. I have traveled both civilian, military charter, and straight military. I have flown on flights as long as 13 hours, and all the fore mentioned before the advent of PTV's. How did one keep their sanity in those days was not too hard. You simply packed a book bag with food, magazines, comics, books, and the all important game boy with about 20 batteries.

I can understand that some companies have gone deliberately out of their way to get factory stocked aircraft with PTV's and on board IFE that would blow the minds out of the people used to flying without it. I can understand that having a mind flushing screen 2 feet infront of you can make the journey a little more bearable and less boring.

I do have to wonder why you people have to sit there and complain like 3 year olds. WAH, i do not have my PTV, no IFE, OMG my brain is going to explode! Do you people bring books anymore? Do you buy magazines anymore?

Witht he mobile device boom you can bring just about any entertainment with you, you want. You can bring your entire stereo library on an iPOD. You can bring a portable DVD player and 2 batteries. You could bring your game boy or the likes.

People seem to think oh good PTV's now I can "veg" out on the plane. So people don't bring any entertainment. WHOOPS your PTV doesn't work, I'm terribly sorry. Oh crap no entertainment period.

I truely think IFE is going to become the "standard" on aircraft. It is still VERY new in the aviation industry, and for airlines with aircraft already in the fleet you have to give them a little bit of what people call "PATIENCE" to implement these systems. Remember when "Air Phones" first came out. They were at flight attendant stations and you placed your credit card in the slot and there were only 2 available on the aircraft. Now wide or narrow body it doesn't matter cause every seat has a phone or phone easily accessible. That took a long time for airlines to implement, and I'm sure had A.net been around we would have seen this very same type discussion about it..

GIVE THE AIRLINES TIME. I'm sure it is on their "TO DO" list. So please lets cut this, airline inferiority due to the lack of IFE, crap out. It does nothing but fill the post with useless banter and retort.

Just my  twocents  and I'm sure people will offer there  twocents 

JetMaster

RE: PTV's What Is The Big Deal

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:47 pm

What a useless post. If you don't like PTV threads, don't read them. And if you don't need PTVs, fly airlines which don't offer any. Easy as that.  tired 

Regards,
JM
The Journey is my Destination

A360

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:53 pm

Having IFE is better than not having them... No doubt about it is it?!

If you don't like it... just don't look at it.

But for the majority of people it makes a diference... and it's better, so...

LongbowPilot
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:54 pm

Quoting JetMaster (Reply 1):
What a useless post

It isn't useless, it is trying to make people aware that PTV's are new and airlines are going to go this way, just need time to implement.

TriStar500

Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:05 pm

What a useful post!   LongBowPilot, don't mind Jetmaster's (Udo's) whining, he is a staunch fighter for PTV's on each and every airplane in the world (and it is his right to voice this opinion, even if I disagree with him).

I guess it comes down to personal preferences. Ordinary people, if they have to pay for their tickets themselves, will go for the best deal according to

ticket price,
schedule,
safety,
reliability
and travel time.

A PTV might be the "icing on the cake" when two offers are otherwise similar, but only a very small minority will be willing to pay more than maybe 10 or 20 Euro extra on alonghaul flight for PTV's.

Myself, I am happy if a PTV is around, but would not pay more extra than the price for a movie theatre ticket to get one on my flight. Otherwise, I don't care. It is actually nice to read a book (I hardly find any time for that otherwise), talk to my seat neighbor or just relax.

[Edited 2005-10-21 08:21:37]
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

mariner

Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:14 pm

What's the deal with in-flight movies?

Gee, when I first started flying we didn't have them. We could be stuck on a plane for seven hours with no movie to watch, and we survived.

And what's the deal with pressurization? Gee, when I first started flying, we didn't have that!

Your ears used to pop a lot when the aircraft was descending, and sometimes it was quite painful, but they gave you candy to suck, which helped a bit.

And what's the deal with aircraft toilets? When I first strted flying, a lot of planes didn't have them, and we just got used to holding it.

Which reminds me, what's the deal with jets? When I first started flying, we didn;t have those, and we still got there. It just took a bit longer, that's all.

Smile

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Skydrol

Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:31 pm

This is to cater to the new generation with the attention span of a housefly. Of course, the systems have been known to crash due to pax being bored with the 82 movies and 156 live TV channels available and starting/stopping/forwarding/stopping/starting every damn movie. Can you say ADD ?

I personally have no use for PTVs.

I don't mind a common screen at the front of the cabin, or in various locations overhead, but why right in your face? I find three or four PTVs within close range flickering different images to be very annoying. People should have the right not to deal with this, and this hasn't been considered.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

Mr AirNZ

Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:43 pm

Longbowpilot you raise some very valid points. If I think back to reading assignments early on in my high school years, often less than 1/2 the class ever bothered to read the books.

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 6):
This is to cater to the new generation with the attention span of a housefly

Spot on! I think PTV's are as brillant as the next person but they aren't the be all and end all. Read books, play a card game or do some puzzles, the likes of which can be found in just about any newspaper. People are homeless at the moment in central asia and some people are worried about weather they will have a PTV on thier next three hour flight! Get your priorities right people!

irelayer

Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:40 pm

Quoting LongbowPilot (Thread starter):
GIVE THE AIRLINES TIME. I'm sure it is on their "TO DO" list. So please lets cut this, airline inferiority due to the lack of IFE, crap out. It does nothing but fill the post with useless banter and retort.

And complaining about it is equally useless. Just ignore people who say this if you don't like it. But remember this is a discussion board and more often than not it is filled with less-than-useful posts. On a side note...imagine the first days of long-haul air travel a-la Imperial Airways when trips took days! I would take that over a PTV anyday...

-IR

PM

Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:11 pm

Just to add my €0.0167, whether or not a long-haul plane has a PTV or not is a matter of indifference to me. I seldom even take the headphones out of the wee plastic bag. At least I don't have to endure a big movie screen at the front of the cabin but then I do have all around me tiny flickering screens. It's a lost cause, I know, but I wish we could go back to a good book rather than endless and mostly meretricious electronic entertainment. What I also find exasperating are all the tedious threads on A.Net about whether or not airline X have PTVs in their planes or not. That seems a step too far away from the one thing we all (I assume) have in common on this site: a love of aviation and flying. What have PTVs in Y class got to do with that?!

Humbug!

LongbowPilot
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:06 pm

Mariner, you are a pain in the ass most of the time, but at least we agree on something. Thanks.

I'm glad that there are people that don't subject themselves to the PTVs. Someday someone is going to get eye cancer and blam the PTVs because he flies a lot.

AirbusA6

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:15 pm

I like to read a book, or chat to my neighbour, but there's only so much reading and chatting you can do on a 7-12 hour flight (especially a day flight) and I find being able to watch a movie or two, and listen to some music (the latest systems have a lot of cds available) helps the journey go by. And as the airlines with this as standard generally cost the same as those that don't offer it in Y, I'm happy to go with them.

I'm sorry, but once the journey goes past a couple hours, any love of aviation is bypassed by a desire to get there as quickly as possible with as much to do as possible!
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

ZKSUJ

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:18 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 5):
And what's the deal with aircraft toilets? When I first strted flying, a lot of planes didn't have them, and we just got used to holding it.

Yea when you travel on small planes you don't have them too. Eother hold it in, piss in a bottle or use the 'storm window' wisely. Big grin

jwenting

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:18 pm

Quoting A360 (Reply 2):

Wrong.
I prefer not having a flashing screen less than half a meter from my face when I want to sleep or read.
I prefer to have that extra 5cm of legroom instead of an extra-thick seatback in front of me because someone decided to put that flashing screen I don't want there.
I prefer my ticket to be a bit cheaper because the aircraft was a ton lighter for not having all those flashing screens in every seatback.
I prefer to make my own entertainment with a portable CD player and a book rather than having to watch to some B-rated (or worse) movie that's been cut specially to remove any hint of things going wrong with aircraft.
I wish I were flying

DavidT

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:40 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 13):
Wrong.
I prefer not having a flashing screen less than half a meter from my face when I want to sleep or read.
I prefer to have that extra 5cm of legroom instead of an extra-thick seatback in front of me because someone decided to put that flashing screen I don't want there.
I prefer my ticket to be a bit cheaper because the aircraft was a ton lighter for not having all those flashing screens in every seatback.
I prefer to make my own entertainment with a portable CD player and a book rather than having to watch to some B-rated (or worse) movie that's been cut specially to remove any hint of things going wrong with aircraft.

Nobody is forcing you to watch it?

I find IFE a godsend... on a long flight it can really help alleviate the first 4 or so hours. Then I read for 1.5 hours or so, then sleep  Smile

goingboeing

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:42 pm

I can imagine how great a red-ey flight must be watching Ron Popiel saying "Set it and forget it" or listening to Carleton Sheets tell you how much you can make in real estate with "no money down".

FlyingTexan

Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:47 pm

I read. Some don't. And some like to watch their landing gear problems on live TV.  Wink

books

checkmark 
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

LN-MOW

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:01 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 5):
What's the deal with in-flight movies?

Yeah - and after being forced to watch Bewitched for the 3rd time in two weeks, I wanted to flush the IFE down the toilet .....

With my Nomad, a book and a couple of magazines, I can easily ride out an 8 hour flight.
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

4xRuv

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:11 pm

Quoting LongbowPilot (Reply 3):
It isn't useless, it is trying to make people aware that PTV's are new and airlines are going to go this way, just need time to implement.

Come on, PTV in Y is there for more than 10 years, how much time do they need?
I think the reason for not installing PTV is cost. Rather than the immediate cost of installation, think of the weight those airliners who don't install the PTVs save. When the technology for wireless IFE will be developed enough even Lufthansa will adopt it.

DavidT

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:16 pm

Quoting LN-MOW (Reply 17):
Yeah - and after being forced to watch Bewitched for the 3rd time in two weeks, I wanted to flush the IFE down the toilet .....

You were forced to watch a PTV?  Wow!

noelg

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:18 pm

Quoting LN-MOW (Reply 17):

With my Nomad, a book and a couple of magazines, I can easily ride out an 8 hour flight.

Yeah - and you're obviously a frequent flier used to this. You have to remember the vast majority of passengers aren't like that - just regular joes off on holiday or something. They have families with kids - can you really imagine a modern child being given a book and told "here you go here's your IFE"?

PTVs make a huge difference then, it makes the journey enjoyable for everyone. Most people don't fly more than a couple of times a year tops, so it doesn't matter if Bewitched is all they play on those flights as they'll only have to see it once!

Noel.

Boeing757/767

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:18 pm

To me, PTVs don't mean a thing. Like the original poster, I flew all over the world as a child and was engrossed in books, coloring, etc.

Today, PTVs still don't hold allure for me. This year I flew NW World Business Class to Asia. PTV with all the bells and whistles. Did I watch a single movie? Nope. I was more interested in the seat -- sleeping -- and catching up on reading.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

bond007

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:24 pm

Presumably all the people here who don't like PTV's also don't have IPODs, CD players, TVs in every room, entertainment centers, PCs, Games Consoles, oh and a cellphone .... after all you could 'just read a book' couldn't you  Yeah sure

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

PM

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:32 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 22):
Presumably all the people here who don't like PTV's also don't have IPODs, CD players, TVs in every room, entertainment centers, PCs, Games Consoles, oh and a cellphone .... after all you could 'just read a book' couldn't you

You're almost right (in spite of trying to be wrong). I don't like PTVs. I don't have an iPod, I certainly don't have a game console, I don't even know what an "entertainment center" is, I don't have a cellphone (though I used to) and I have a television but it is in a little-used room and it is more than three months since I watched it. I do have a PC ( obviously) and I enjoy playing CDs as much as I enjoyed my LPs thirty years ago. (It's OK to enjoy music.) Oh, and I have rooms full of books... So you're starting to understand. Keep it up, Bond!

halls120

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:33 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 4):
A PTV might be the "icing on the cake" when two offers are otherwise similar, but only a very small minority will be willing to pay more than maybe 10 or 20 Euro extra on alonghaul flight for PTV's.

As part of the group that will pay more for a seat with PTV's, I suspect our group is larger than you might imagine.

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 7):
People are homeless at the moment in central asia and some people are worried about weather they will have a PTV on thier next three hour flight!

Based on this rationale, none of us should be posting on Anet - we should all be out raising money for the homeless.

That is your choice, and you should be able to exercise it. I recommend Delta for all your cross Atlantic travel....
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

bond007

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:35 pm

Quoting PM (Reply 23):
I don't like PTVs. I don't have an iPod, I certainly don't have a game console, I don't even know what an "entertainment center" is, I don't have a cellphone (though I used to) and I have a television but it is in a little-used room and it is more than three months since I watched it.

Well all very good, but you not representative of the majority of airline passengers. THAT'S why they have PTVs  Smile

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

PM

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:42 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 25):
Well all very good, but you not representative of the majority of airline passengers. THAT'S why they have PTVs

But I don't have to be "representative of the majority of airline passengers" (and I'm sure that in this regard I'm not); I only have to be representative of those who have posted here against PTVs as you observed in Reply 22. You seemed to imply a certain hypocrisy or double standards. I was happy to disabuse you of that notion.

bond007

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:47 pm

Well, as opposed to simply complaining about PTV's or saying how great they are ... which could go on for 500 posts since everyone has an opinion ... I was simply providing the answer to the subject of the thread "PTV's What Is The Big Deal".

Most passengers do have all these electronic entertainment devices on their person and around their house, and now they'll expect them on airplanes .... and that's why we have PTVs.

Jimbo

PM

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 27):
Most passengers do have all these electronic entertainment devices on their person and around their house...

I know. Sad, isn't it?

...and now they'll expect them on airplanes.

Even worse.  Sad

Ryan h

Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:58 pm

Personally I don't mind having the PTV there, although on my last flights to and from England I did not play with them much.

During the day the camera was out and I was taking pics from the plane, having a wander around the cabin etc. Night flights I slept.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

aircanada014

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:35 pm

Hello all

PTV are for entertaining people if they have nothing else to do. Besides I can't wait to use one on AC's flight. Don't forget AC will be the first major legacy airline to install PTV on most widebodies and narrowbodies including regional jets on CRJ 705 and EMB 175 / 190.

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:47 pm

Quoting Boeing757/767 (Reply 21):
To me, PTVs don't mean a thing. Like the original poster, I flew all over the world as a child and was engrossed in books, coloring, etc.

Today, PTVs still don't hold allure for me. This year I flew NW World Business Class to Asia. PTV with all the bells and whistles. Did I watch a single movie? Nope. I was more interested in the seat -- sleeping -- and catching up on reading.

I'll give a second opinion.

I also flew all over the world as a child (parent's early postings were in SIN and HKG).
At the time we would fly either UTA via Muscat or Singapore Airlines/Thai via Dubai on 747-200's and 300's.
No PTV, wafer-thin seats and about a quarter of today's amenities.

Come the mid-90's PTV's were the best thing since sliced bread for me.
All of a sudden these long flights (airlines had moved on to 744/343/772 by then) were less boring and seemed shorter.

Today I fly around 65 to 75K miles per annum (Sky Team Elite+, all the bells and whistles) and I certainly am quite happy of the existence of PTV's.

They give me time to catch up on movies I hadn't had the time to see, play some games I don't usually play, etc...

When flying transat from Eire to the US it's a good bet not to sleep if you don't want to be jetlagged, without PTV's it would be veeeeeery boring.

Earlier this year I flew J on a aircraft that happened to have the IFE down. Lucky for me I had a couple of DivX's on my laptop  Smile

In the end, yes, even as a seasoned flyer, the PTV-equipped airliner will ALWAYS have my choice.

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

goingboeing

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:52 pm

Most passengers do have all these electronic entertainment devices on their person and around their house, and now they'll expect them on airplanes .... and that's why we have PTVs.

Hmmm...with the advent of the video I-pod, how soon do you think it will be before passengers bring their OWN entertainment, and the PTV becomes little more than added weight and increase fuel costs to carry it?

bond007

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:54 pm

Quoting Goingboeing (Reply 32):
Hmmm...with the advent of the video I-pod, how soon do you think it will be before passengers bring their OWN entertainment, and the PTV becomes little more than added weight and increase fuel costs to carry it?

Not too long  Smile

Jimbo

JetMaster

Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:38 pm

I don't mind a common screen at the front of the cabin, or in various locations overhead, but why right in your face?

Oh - which airline's pitch is so bad that you have a PTV "right in your face"?  eyebrow 

Btw - why don't you just turn it off if you don't like it?  idea 

I find three or four PTVs within close range flickering different images to be very annoying.

Hm, must have been a strange seating arrangement which you were in...I have never been disturbed by other screens around me.

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 7):
People are homeless at the moment in central asia and some people are worried about weather they will have a PTV on thier next three hour flight!

Ok, should we stop talking about aviation and all other trivial things until every single human being in the world is fine? Sorry, the latter will never happen, unfortunately.

Quoting LongbowPilot (Reply 10):
Someday someone is going to get eye cancer and blam the PTVs because he flies a lot.

That won't happen outside the US, most likely...  Wink

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 12):
Yea when you travel on small planes you don't have them too.

And you also don't have to fly 14 hours nonstop on a small plane...

Ever tried the "switch off" button?

Excuse me - but PTVs are usually located on a level with one's face, not with one's knees...  scratchchin 

Can you name us exactly that airline which offers cheaper tickets due to a lack of PTVs? Strange that all the cheap deals I got recently where on carriers which do offer advanced IFE...

Well, probably you simply fly the wrong airlines...  Smile

Presumably all the people here who don't like PTV's also don't have IPODs, CD players, TVs in every room, entertainment centers, PCs, Games Consoles, oh and a cellphone .... after all you could 'just read a book' couldn't you

Well said...

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 24):
As part of the group that will pay more for a seat with PTV's, I suspect our group is larger than you might imagine.

Exactly my thoughts.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 24):
Based on this rationale, none of us should be posting on Anet - we should all be out raising money for the homeless.

Can't agree more.

Advanced IFE is much more than just movies, I can tell. And you can be sure future generations of IFE will be lighter and more advanced than today's.

Regards,
JM
The Journey is my Destination

planesarecool

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:20 am

Wow! I can't believe so many people can actually live without PTV's. My family would personally book to fly Virgin to have a PTV (when they were one of the only airlines to have them). I can do without for a short flight, but for an 8hrs+ flight across the pond, i need some sort of entertainment (which isn't a bloody boring book). I barely watch any TV at home, but i have other things to amuse myself with on the ground.

Quoting PM (Reply 9):
I do have all around me tiny flickering screens.

Actually, most PTV screens are tinted so that you can only see it if you're sitting near enough straight in front of it. On my last flight, i couldn't make out what my sister was watching from my seat, and she was right next to me.

I'll always choose an airline with PTV's if there's one available.

StevenG

Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:05 am

Sometimes, the complaints from travellers that there was no IFE on their 50 minutes flight on a LCC are really laughable.
It is nice if it is on board but to me it's certainly not the end of the world if it isn't. Beside that, several times I have noticed that the system is (partially) down during the flight. Indeed take a book, magazine, IPOD, discman or whatever with you.
I wonder what Kurt Cobain would have meant if he was still alive and singing "Here we are now, entertain us!" ('Smells like teen spirit')

geoffm

Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:06 am

You simply packed [...] all important game boy with about 20 batteries.

You moan about PTVs yet take a Gameboy. Hmm. Methinks you're talking out of your backside.

Geoff M.

ManchesterMAN

Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:52 am

I'm a big fan of the movies but I simply don't get enough chance to go to the cinema these days so the majority of movies I watch are on aircraft and I have seen some great ones that I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise. Cinema is art and like all art its beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't want to be forced to watch Bewitched over and over again flying the likes of Delta back and forth over the pond when I could fly an airline with a "gallery" of art from which I can choose myself. The problem with airlines showing big screen movies is that they have to be family films for the kids onboard so you don't get to see some of the better films without PTVs. Cinema is not for people with short attention spans but for lovers of art. Anyway, I've forgotten what else I was going to say  Wink
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

Sabena332

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:07 am

For all those who don't like PTV's:

There is still the "Off" button on planes with PTV's, unfortunately there is no "On" button on planes without PTV's.

Simply turn it off when you don't like it! Nothing easier than this!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Richard28

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:15 am

Simple, it's a question of choice.

You choose what you want to wach (and in the case of AVOD, when), or what to read, or to sleep. PTV's give you ultimate choice and flexibility

I don't mind a common screen at the front of the cabin, or in various locations overhead, but why right in your face?

So you can watch individual (and AVOD) programming, and not what everybody else is watching

and the all important game boy with about 20 batteries

The battery argument sums it up for me - if you have a decent IFE then you have games as well - and no need for 300 pax to bring 6000 (300x20) batteries with them (unless you are a shareholder in Duracell?  Wink )

You can bring a portable DVD player and 2 batteries.

or extra batteries for this.

(plus the airline supply you with up-to-date movies, which otherwise you will have to purchase)

ContnlEliteCMH

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:26 am

Quoting A360 (Reply 2):

I think there's plenty of doubt. I fly four segments per week, and none of those planes have video screens, let alone IFE. My most important criteria for flying are "safe" and "on time." Honestly, IFE is so far down on the list that you'd need a nuclear sub to find it. I guess that's why there's doubt: in the greater scheme, it's neither better nor worse.

I have *always* found it supremely ironic that a group of people obsessed with aviation demand video diversion during the very act of their obsession.

Weird.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

planesarecool

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:00 am

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 41):
I have *always* found it supremely ironic that a group of people obsessed with aviation demand video diversion during the very act of their obsession.

Speaking for myself here, i am not "obsessed" with aviation, and i don't fly just for no reason at all. So when i do fly it's for a purpose and if its a long flight then i want some sort of entertainment. What, so you expect aviation enthusiasts to just stare out the window for 8 hours doing nothing else?

ContnlEliteCMH

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:10 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 42):
Speaking for myself here, i am not "obsessed" with aviation, and i don't fly just for no reason at all. So when i do fly it's for a purpose and if its a long flight then i want some sort of entertainment. What, so you expect aviation enthusiasts to just stare out the window for 8 hours doing nothing else?

Hardly. Why, today I spent about 4.5 combined hours on two of Continental's 735's. I too want entertainment, so I read about 100 pages of a Tom Clancy novel and chewed through a couple Winger albums. (Love Winger!) And chatted with my seatmate who was also flying to his home in my town.

And I enjoyed my big comfy seat. And I made sure to watch some condensation as the engine throttled up for takeoff. And I liked my chicken Caesar salad. And we both admired the view of our fair city's downtown as we broke through cloud cover on approach.

I'd say I was severely entertained the whole time. I'm severely entertained *anytime* I'm flying, because I'm obsessed with aviation. Have been since I was a kid. I suppose that's why PTV isn't very high on my list. First, I love to fly; it's entertainment all by itself, especially when sitting next to a window. Second, when I want something else to do, my eyes, ears, and brain have no trouble cooperating with tunes or a book to keep me thoroughly engrossed. I'm sure I could do the same thing with PTV, but I don't find it necessary. I may watch a lot of television, but books are still better in just about every way.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

planesarecool

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:32 pm

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 43):
Why, today I spent about 4.5 combined hours on two of Continental's 735's

Ok, on two shorter flights its fine, i have no problems without a PTV, i'm just talking about 11 hour flights from London to California or 9 hours to Florida. The films, tv shows, games and of course the map are good to keep me occupied. Sure on from the moment i sit down (next to the window) to the moment we've levelled off at 35k feet my head will be glued to the window and the same for landing, but between then, unless we pass over Greenland or New York or something, there isn't really much to see out the window.

Also thinking about long haul night flights. I'm not a very good sleeper on planes, and theres nothing to see out the window, so the IFE becomes very handy. I can't play a game with the person next to me (usually my sister) because she'll be asleep, if i read or do anything which requires the light, i'm going to annoy people (even more so than "flickering screens") who are trying to sleep.

Sure i'd rather fly without a PTV than not fly at all, and on a short flight i don't really see the need for one, but on a long flight, i and probably most other people on the flight from what i've seen, make great use of the IFE. Even if its looking down and seeing something interesting on the ground, you can just switch the map on and see where/what it is.

LongbowPilot
Topic Author

Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:59 pm

Quoting 4xRuv (Reply 18):
I think the reason for not installing PTV is cost.

Exactly, and consumers should give airlines, in these ailing time, a break on install and availability.

On the contrary, I enjoy my laptop and MP3 player immensly, but PTV's doesn't governm my desire to buy that ticket, the service of the airline I fly is what I choose, and again my taste isn't yours so there for is of no consequence.

Quoting PM (Reply 28):
Most passengers do have all these electronic entertainment devices on their person and around their house...

concur, that is sad

Quoting AirCanada014 (Reply 30):
regional jets on CRJ 705 and EMB 175 / 190.

Quoting StevenG (Reply 36):
Sometimes, the complaints from travellers that there was no IFE on their 50 minutes flight on a LCC are really laughable.

WTF over? I mean a 1 hour RJ/LCC flight and you need IFE? You need a hole in your head where your gray brain matter once was to "NEED" IFE.

Wooo, than we would hear from the poor folk about how the airlines are screwing them out of IFE because they can't afford iPOD VIDEO.

Quoting JetMaster (Reply 34):
Quoting LongbowPilot (Reply 10):
Someday someone is going to get eye cancer and blam the PTVs because he flies a lot.

That won't happen outside the US, most likely...

TRUE THAT!! LMFAO!

Quoting Geoffm (Reply 37):
You moan about PTVs yet take a Gameboy. Hmm. Methinks you're talking out of your backside.

Geoff M.

I was a kid, and am saying that I can think of other ways of to entertain myself, like flirting with F/A's in the galley (female ones), than asking for a tour of the crew quarters Big grin

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 39):
There is still the "Off" button on planes with PTV's, unfortunately there is no "On" button on planes without PTV's.

This thread was not intended for the ON vs OFF button debate. It was to just see what the big deal is. you are right here is an On and Off button. It is just do you need it? The real reason for flying is the next comment

My most important criteria for flying are "safe" and "on time." Honestly, IFE is so far down on the list that you'd need a nuclear sub to find it

RIGHT SAID BROTHER!

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 42):
long flight then i want some sort of entertainment.

I give up! Use your imagination and think of something and don't rely on a TV screen to drill your mind out from the flight.

jacobin777

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:35 pm

Besides the obvious (i.e safety, service), I prefer no PTV's but a laptop port so I can watch my movies, videos, tunes, read magazines and get work done, all on a laptop. So in exchange of PTV's, I'll take more seat pitch and width...

Hopefully, with more carriers getting internet access, the flight will more productive and enjoyable.
"Up the Irons!"

GEnxPower

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:36 pm

I have just bought a ticket last week, a long haul CVG-ORD-NRT, and I paid more for AA because of their PTV in their 772's as compared to CVG-DTW-NRT on NW because their 744's don't have the PTV's on the cross-pacific long haul leg.

If the flight is less than 4 or 5 hours, I don't really mind flights with no PTV but those around 10+ to 12 hours really need PTV.

I enjoy reading a lot and I always go everywhere with books and magazines handy. Even then, when you are not that good a sleeper on Y-Class seats, PTV's are a great distraction to help pass time, if not entertainment. Especially if you are stuck in the middle seat of the center row and you have no windows to look out and not much chances to walk around the cabin without disturbing everyone seated with you.

PTV's are an important consideration for me, and I would, and I have paid more for it on these long haul routes that I fly very often.

ContnlEliteCMH

Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:46 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 44):
Even if its looking down and seeing something interesting on the ground, you can just switch the map on and see where/what it is

THAT is the only thing I wish I had on every flight I take -- some sort of GPS. I always want to know where I am, where I'm heading, what my altitude is, what my airspeed is, and how fast the ground is flying by.

In 1999, my wife and I took our honeymoon in the UK. We flew NW there and back on a sweetheart (pun!) deal that got us there and back for $732.50 *total.* The venerable DC-10 was very comfy, but I was glued to the map on the big screen, especially on landing. That was oh-so-cool.

bond007

Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:01 pm

Quoting LongbowPilot (Reply 45):
The real reason for flying is the next comment

My most important criteria for flying are "safe" and "on time." Honestly, IFE is so far down on the list that you'd need a nuclear sub to find it

Like I said earlier - we can have 500 posts about who here likes PTVs and who doesn't.

Your 'real reason for flying' is exactly that ... your reason. Whether you like or not, people do make decisions on their airline based on level of service - and that might include whether the airline has PTVs. The airlines think that, and that's why they install PTVs. That's the answer to the initial question.

If you take Jet Blue .... it's more that just their safety and on-time performance that explains their success. It is all the small extras that add up, and people take that into consideration when choosing them.

As for 'just read a book'...it's just as valid to say 'just watch a movie' .... it's a personal opinion whether one is 'better' than the other.

Jimbo