Are the graveyards open to the public?
New airliners.net web site sucks.

jetmatt777
Crew

RE: Airplane Graveyards

Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:31 am

Quoting DeltaL1011man (Thread starter):
Are the graveyards open to the public?

hey, do you see that edit post button in the bottom right corner.click on it and i suggest you change your title to " Are airplane graveyards open to the public." the topic you have is misleading right now

dont take this personal,
Cheers,

Matt
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

AlitaliaMD11

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:07 am

I know Mojave is.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Martin - AirTeamImages

No Vueling No Party

smokescreen

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:36 am

The AMARC facility at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson runs bus tours in conjunction with the Pima Air and Space Museum.

jetmatt777
Crew

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 1):
hey, do you see that edit post button in the bottom right corner.click on it and i suggest you change your title to " Are airplane graveyards open to the public." the topic you have is misleading right now

nevermind
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

airfoilsguy

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:01 am

I have wondered this for years. If they are open to the public can I just walk in, pull a piece of something off a plane, pay for it, and make a table out of it? Or even better, cut the cockpit off of a plane and make a children's play structure out of it?
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

litz

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:09 am

If it's a scapper then yes - if they're planning on scrapping a plane and you're offering fair dollar for a part or a chunk of plane, yeah, they'll sell it to you.

Most likely they will remove said part or chunk, however ... and you're then responsible for transport.

In some cases, transportation of a chunk of airplane may well exceed the cost of the chunk in the first place. They may look graceful in the sky, but they're very heavy on the ground.

The piece of DL 727 used in the Monster House "Airplane House" was over 10,000 pounds.

- litz

arffguy

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:39 am

I would like more details from people who have actually been there. I understand that some are very heavy handed about visitors while others will let you look but have restrictive rules. Anybody have some details of their own visits?
Time to spare, go by air.

EMBQA

Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:18 am

Try a search.. This one is well-well covered. Here's a link to a thread for just a few days ago. The overall answer is No, aircraft graveyards as a whole are not open to the general public. There is one that offers tours, but even then you are not allowed off the van.
Aircraft Graveyard Tours In Arizona (by BristolFlyer Oct 17 2005 in Civil Aviation)
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

smokescreen

Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:24 am

Check out this thread for more details about the D-M AMARC tour:
Aircraft Graveyard Tours In Arizona (by BristolFlyer Oct 17 2005 in Civil Aviation)

Regarding scrapped aircraft parts, the Pima Air Museum's giftshop has a small selection of instruments (altimeters etc.) for sale. The D-M AFB is surrounded by commercial aircraft scrappers, who I am sure you could deal with. Also, I am told that the Air Force will occasionally donate/sell complete aircraft (which are stripped of reusable parts and on their way to becoming beer cans) to worthwhile organisations, such as Veteran's groups etc., for use as gate guardian-type displays. Maybe you can talk them into giving you an F-4 for your front yard!