HS748
Topic Author

Monarch Scheduled Seating

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:33 am

Earlier this year Monarch announced that it would be removing a row of seats from each aircraft to provide 34" pitch in up to 48 seats per aircraft. Does anyone know whether this has happened yet?

mhodgson

RE: Monarch Scheduled Seating

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:46 am

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it will happen at the end of this month, when winter schedules come into effect and aircraft can be taken out of service without impacting schedules.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

MANmatt

Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:31 am

Well it hadn't happened this week when i flew with them to and from malaga from manchester. Had a 757 (g-monj) on the way out, which was still configured as 235, and a 320 (g-mpcd) on the way back, which was still configured as 180.

The advantage of having them configured this way is that if they operating a charter flight at a similar time to a scheduled flight and an aircraft goes tech, they can just move them over, but if they are going to reconfigure them, then this could cause delays as they might not have enought seats to move them between flights. Mind you, not going to complain about a bit more leg room, even if i am only 5ft7!

matt Big grin

Orion737

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:24 am

Sure the scrapping of a row of seats wasnt just for long haul fleet? I cant see Monarch getting rid of 6 seats in a 757 or 320! They scrapped all the frills so it would seem a sill step to now remove seats if they are trying to keep fares as low as possible.

jmc757

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:34 am

No, it was on short haul as well. They had a press release on their website, but can't seem to find it now. Will be interesting to see if its fleetwide. It would be ok if you were having to sub a Schedueld with a Charter aircraft (which is most likely, as I guess the ZBs take priority over the MONs). Just give a letter, a refund of upgrade money and some onboard drinks vouchers or something. People will be dissapointed but they'd get over it if its that or a delay. The other way round would be trickier as you may not have enough seats! I guess they could do it fleetwide, would enough people book extra leg room through the tour operators to make it viable for charters as well?

HS748
Topic Author

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:44 am

Well I've just had a go at booking MAN/BCN in November and sure enough the online seatmap shows an A321 operating the flight with the first six rows being sold as extra legroom seats at a supplemet of £15 each way. So, looks like it's started already!

Capital146

Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:16 am

It must still be in the process of being phased in as when I flew MAN-MAD on Monarch Scheduled two weeks ago, both the 320's I got were still in a standard charter config (one was G-MPCD, which MANmatt said he's also just flown on, the other being G-OZBB).
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.