BigGSFO
Topic Author

Spirit Withdraws ORD-CUN Appication

Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:22 am

Keeps DFW-CUN application. No reason given in the docket as to why they are no longer interested in ORD-CUN.

http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.c...m?documentid=359093&docketid=22589

Along with Airtran's withdrawl of their MCO-CUN application, is there a pattern emerging with some of these airlines who aggressively applied for Mexican authority only to now pull themselves out of the running? Is this common?

7e72004

RE: Spirit Withdraws ORD-CUN Appication

Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:55 am

Probably with the rise in fuel they have to readjust their priorities.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

mariner

Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Thread starter):
Is this common?

Not common, but it does happen.

In the case of Cancun, it really isn't surprising. For a while, CUN was the goose laying golden eggs for the airlines.

So everyone wanted to fly there, from everywhere, and it (almost) killed the goose.

NWA's IND/CUN didn't work, nor did MKE/CUN. There were a number of Frontier flights AUS/CUN that went out with less than a dozen people on them.

I could never work out why so many airlines wanted MCO/CUN (one resort to another) and in the case of ORD/CUN, I would guess Spirit has seen the writing on the wall.

Chicago (ORD and MDW) to CUN is a contested route - more applications that authority available.

The DOT always takes their sweet time with contested applications - the decision on STL/CUN took about eight months.

The competition is tough - United wants ORD/CUN (as does USA 3000) and Frontier wants MDW/CUN, which they're already flying as a charter.

So I would guess - just a guess - that Spirit decided to take their ball and go play somewhere else.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

commavia

Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:17 am

DFW-CUN is a huge market. They should do well in it -- more than enough demand for both AA and NK to share.