premobrimo

JAL To Join Oneworld Alliance

Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:15 pm

Now You're Flying Smart.

centrair

RE: JAL To Join Oneworld Alliance

Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:46 pm

This is not a surprise but sure did take them long enough.

They have agreements with NW, AA, AF, and BA for connecting passengers to domestic in Japan. Their NGO-CDG flight is codeshared with AF. They could have gone OneWorld or Skyteam. I would have put my money on OneWorld.

I wonder what will happen to those agreements?
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

Sydscott

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:05 pm

Quoting Centrair (Reply 1):
Their NGO-CDG flight is codeshared with AF.

Quoting Centrair (Reply 1):
I wonder what will happen to those agreements?

Nothing probably they will continue on. Qantas also codeshares with AF to Paris so I can't see any reason for JAL not to continue to do so.

UpperDeck79

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:30 pm

If this is in fact true, it's awesome news!

AY will start HEL-NGO in June, I hope they will do some code-sharing for domestic flights in Japan as well the other way around for intra-European flights! Unlike NRT in Tokyo and KIX in Osaka, NGO is also Nagoya's domestic airport, which makes this much more convenient.
AY and ANA rock!

ZK-NBT

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:34 pm

I guess they will continue to codeshare on NZ between AKL-NRT/KIX/NGO even though they are in Star!?

Be nice to see JL back at AKL though with their own metal on a scheduled basis.

KKMolokai

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:39 pm

From the oneworld employee website:

Japan Airlines announces decision to seek oneworld membership

oneworld has warmly welcomed an announcement by Japan Airlines (JAL) today that wants to join the alliance.

JAL is the biggest carrier in the Asia-Pacific region. In terms of group revenues, it would become the largest member of oneworld. Using virtually all other measures, it would be in the alliance's biggest three, alongside American Airlines and British Airways.

Until today, Japan Airlines was the only one among the 20 biggest international airlines in the world (IATA members) not to have joined or sought membership of one of the three key airline groupings.

oneworld Managing Partner John McCulloch said: "Japan Airlines would be an ideal fit with oneworld, as we have said often in the past. It is a high class carrier, with an excellent reputation for its customer service and management and an enviable network that complements those of our existing members.

"We are very pleased that it has recognised the value that membership of oneworld offers and look forward to working with Japan Airlines to complete the agreements, procedures and processes that are necessary before we can issue a formal invitation to join."

American Airlines will be supporting JAL through these tasks, as its prime oneworld sponsor, assisted by Cathay Pacific.

JAL would expand oneworld's existing network by around 10 per cent, adding add 68 destinations - 56 of them in Japan and five in China. It would add one territory - Guam. oneworld's existing members currently serve 134 countries and 599 destinations. With JAL, Royal Jordanian and Malév, the oneworld map would extend to 686 destinations in 140 countries and territories.

JAL currently has extensive bilateral agreements with oneworld partners American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, LAN and Qantas.

Five of oneworld's existing partners operate to and from Japan - American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair and Qantas - carrying some four million passengers last year on a combined schedule of almost 200 round trips a week. These link Tokyo Narita, Osaka Kansai, Nagoya Centrair, Fukuoka and Sapporo Chitose with direct flights to 13 destinations, including oneworld hubs Chicago O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Helsinki, Hong Kong, London Heathrow, Los Angeles, Melbourne, New York JFK and Sydney.

Japan Airlines serves oneworld hubs Chicago O'Hare, Hong Kong, London Heathrow, Los Angeles, New York JFK, Singapore and Sydney.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

kiwiandrew

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:39 pm

Quoting Premobrimo (Thread starter):
Here is the press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051025/japan...?.v=1

Great news if true , and I am sure it will be in a few hours - but that is not actually a press release , just a report that an announcement is expected

TOKYO (AP) -- Japan Airlines, the nation's top carrier, is joining the OneWorld alliance, which includes American Airlines and British Airways, Kyodo News reported Tuesday.
JAL spokesman Stephen Pearlman refused to confirm the report but said Chief Executive Toshiyuki Shinmachi would announce an important alliance later in the day at Tokyo headquarters.

anyway , I would not be surprised if there is a press release within the next few hours for someone to post - a long , long overdue decision - OW has certainly been very under-represented in Asia - CX is great but on it's own it is not enough .

ooops - looks like I have been gazumped while I was typing - should learn to be more concise !

http://www.jal.com/en/press/0000318/318.html

[Edited 2005-10-25 09:40:49]

[Edited 2005-10-25 09:46:48]

ba319-131

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:51 pm

Long overdue, this is very good news for Oneworld.
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

Carpethead

Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:39 pm

Surprise, surprise.
JL has been expanding codeshares with KE of late, so this came as a little surprise.
Finally, JL has chosen not to go at it alone.

Could we seen IB metal back at NRT or JL metal at MAD?
LA taking up the slots to be abandoned by RG?

NetworkDoc

Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:46 pm

At last! To be honest, I have been waiting for this for years. It felt that it was always going to happen as the signs felt right. Now JAL has finally 'taken the plunge'! Way to go.

Bit of a scoop lately for good old OW.  thumbsup 
Flown: AB/BA/BD/BI/CX/DI/DL/KE/KL/LH/LT/LX/MH/NW/OZ/PR/QF/SN/SQ/TW/UA/VS/5J.

jumboforever

Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:46 pm

Humm,

Even though it's not a big surprise when considering the code share agreement already existing with QF or AA, I'm wondering if Skyteam tried hard to convince them or not to join.

And with all the respect I have for KE, I really think Skyteam lost its last chance to get a major Asian carrier in the alliance. Some might argue that NW is one with their NRT hub, but still not enough. Let's wait and see what happens with Chinese carrier...

Regards,

JumboForever

OHLBU

Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:50 pm

Great and looooooooong expected announcement! I doubt Finnair will give any seats to JL on it's HEL-NRT/KIX/NGO flights, as those are making such good money for AY. Any news when will the official joining date be? Nothing about it on Finnair's website, only the same press release.

airxliban

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:00 pm

That is great news now that it is official. In my mind it embodies a filling in one of the important gaps in Oneworld's network, a north asian carrier.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

LordHowe

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:13 pm

Quoting UpperDeck79 (Reply 3):
I hope they will do some code-sharing for domestic flights in Japan as well the other way around for intra-European flights![

Finnairs press release:

"Finnair President and CEO Keijo Suila said: ... We are also planning to start code-sharing with Japan Airlines on some of its domestic routes and Finnair’s European routes."

Regards,
LordHowe
Lord Howe Island - The Last Paradise

kappel

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:20 pm

Quoting JumboForever (Reply 10):
And with all the respect I have for KE, I really think Skyteam lost its last chance to get a major Asian carrier in the alliance. Some might argue that NW is one with their NRT hub, but still not enough. Let's wait and see what happens with Chinese carrier...

Of course they still have Malaysian. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in Skyteam, sseing their relationship with KLM and Flying Blue.
L1011,733,734,73G,738,743,744,752,763,772,77W,DC855,DC863,DC930,DC950,MD11,MD88,306,319,320,321,343,346,ARJ85,CR7,E195

kiwiandrew

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:23 pm

Humm,

Even though it's not a big surprise when considering the code share agreement already existing with QF or AA, I'm wondering if Skyteam tried hard to convince them or not to join.

And with all the respect I have for KE, I really think Skyteam lost its last chance to get a major Asian carrier in the alliance

What about MH ? They always seem to be on the verge of Skyteam without ever quite getting there - they have strong links with KL and to a lesser extent with NW - have an up-to-date and uncongested hub in SE Asia - top class inflight service - an extensive network - the only problem is that for some reason AF don't seem to like them , does anyone know why ?

ACDC8

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:24 pm

About time! For me, it was always a question of "when" and not "if" JL joined Oneworld.

Is this finally a sign that Oneworld will be picking up speed and catching up to Star and Skyteam?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

nethkt

Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:35 pm

Thanks god, finally JAL is oneworld member.

Is there something political hehind that keeping JAL not being an "official" oneworld member?

More airlines for oneworld.  Wink Though I prefer star alliance!
Let's just blame it on yields.

Flying Belgian

Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:55 pm

Smart but expected move (for years...).

It was one of my favourite topic: Which alliance for JAL, and almost everyone replied JAL  Wink

I was beginning to think they'd act as stand alone like EK.

It's also an important move regarding OneWorld's gateways to China.

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

9v-svc

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:18 pm

I am very happy that one of my favourite airlines is joining this alliance. It's was just a matter of time this happened, I am very glad.
Airliners is the wings of my life.

AIR MALTA

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:34 pm

Now also announced at www.ba.com! Great news for OneWorld.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

JAL

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:18 pm

Great news!!!!!!! Finally, JAL decides to join OneWorld!!!!

Wow!!! 3 new members within the past couple of months!
Work Hard But Play Harder

whitehatter

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:24 pm

It certainly helps join up the dots for Northern Asia.

Now all OneWorld needs is a Middle Eastern carrier to cover the area MEA doesn't, and onwards into other markets like Africa. Maybe EK will finally jump in bed with OneWorld!
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

NHstaralliance

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:35 pm

Do you believe that JAL continues codesharing with Thai Airways,when JAL will be joined.But,Thai Airways is a Star Alliance member now,and the its fellow in Japan is ANA.I strongly objected to this codesharing!

wedgetail737

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:38 pm

I wonder if JL will re-enter the DFW market, in light of this.

DLPMMM

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:46 pm

Let's wait and see what happens with Chinese carrier...

From what I understand, the sides in China have already been chosen:

CZ = ST

MU = OW

CA = *A

kiwiandrew

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:52 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 25):
Let's wait and see what happens with Chinese carrier...

From what I understand, the sides in China have already been chosen:

CZ = ST

MU = OW

CA = *A

up to a few months ago I would have agreed - however , CZ's admission to Skyteam seems to be on hold - and Oneworld member CX now owns around 9% of CA and they have just announced a mileage programme tie-up - so perhaps CA is heading to OW instead - then again CA were an observer at the last Star meeting in June - which was held a few months after the CX stake became effective - hard to tell which way it will go .

BigGSFO

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:54 pm

This is great news! Just in time to code-share with AA's ORD-NGO....for a few weeks!  Yeah sure

commavia

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:20 pm

All I have to say is ...

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!  Smile

I am thrilled by this move, which I have expected and predicted for years, as it strengthens both JAL and oneworld. Great news!

Now I'm hoping for ... TAM, Mexicana, Alaska, and an airline in China and India!

BigGSFO

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:28 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 28):
TAM, Mexicana, Alaska,

I would bet one of these three would be next. I know the a.net wisdom is that AS won't join an alliance, but if they do, I can see them in oneworld.

commavia

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:31 pm

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 29):
I know the a.net wisdom is that AS won't join an alliance, but if they do, I can see them in oneworld.

I threw Alaska/Horizon in there as my hope. Realistically, I don't think it will happen anytime soon. Alaska enjoys being the codesharing slut of the airline kingdom, and it has been amazingly successul for them. They now codeshare with four of the seven largest airlines in America (AA, CO, DL and NW) plus HA, Eagle, and a few others.

That all being said, I would love to see them in oneworld, and I think they would fit quite well in the alliance.

airxliban

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:46 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 22):
ow all OneWorld needs is a Middle Eastern carrier to cover the area MEA doesn't,

Are you referring to my namesake? They're not in OW, in fact they codeshare with Air France.

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 25):
MU = OW

How is MU anyway? That one filthy AB6 belonged to them didn't it?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

MAH4546

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:54 am

Quoting Wedgetail737 (Reply 24):
I wonder if JL will re-enter the DFW market, in light of this.

Not as long as AA is flying double-daily on DFW-NRT. Though with JAL getting some 787s in the future, maybe a third daily flight with a 787 would make sense. Also with the 787s, we could be seeing JAL going to some strong oneWorld hubs/focus cities - Miami, Boston, Dublin, Madrid - that could support 787 service to Tokyo.
a.

YULWinterSkies

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:10 am

Quoting Carpethead (Reply 8):

That would be somewhat against the purpose of such global alliances: IB is in a as unfavorable geographical position to fly to Japan as Finnair is to fly to South America... O&D would be OK, but for connecting traffic you would get only pax searching for the lowest fares...

About LA, would there be enough demand to justify a SCL-(LAX ?)-NRT flight? Since SCL-LAX is currently operated with a stop in LIM, that would be a 2-stop flight, although a Peru-Japan link might make some sense due to the Japanese minorities in Peru (I'm just speculating, I don't know how strong the ties are!). I would rather expect that only JL/AA fly LAX-NRT and codeshare with LA if needed.
When I doubt... go running!

Aleksandar

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:14 am

OneWorld is growing really fast.  eyepopping  First, it was announced that Malev will join, then Royal Jordanian and now JAL. When all three airlines would actually become members of the alliance?
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

commavia

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:16 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 34):
When all three airlines would actually become members of the alliance?

MALEV and Royal Jordanian will probably begin offering oneworld member benefits sometime around 2006-2007. JAL probably won't begin offering member benefits until well into 2007.

BigGSFO

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:28 am

Oneworld is doing a good job at having significant presence at the world's main cities: London, New York, Tokyo, Sydney, Hong Kong, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Madrid etc.

OneWorld is growing really fast

Agreed. They appeared to have stopped growing for a few years and in short period of time added three new members.

MarshalN

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:57 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 36):
Agreed. They appeared to have stopped growing for a few years and in short period of time added three new members.

Yeah, OW stalled their growth for the longest time, while Star is like a cancer growing left and right (where I think in some ways it has lost some identity -- I'm not even really sure who all the Star members are now). JL has looooooong been rumoured to join them though, since the early days of OW... and finally, here is the announcement. I thought it'll never come. I think all this growth is good for OW... maybe finally they'll be able to put together a more coherent brand/program. In some ways, I feel like OW's "personality", if I can call it that, is stronger than the other alliances.

Byrdluvs747

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:34 am

If LX had been allowed to join without any BA molestation, OW would be the most kick-a$$ alliance by now. I'm still sad to see LX in the grips of that evil overlord LH.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

BigGSFO

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:59 am

They need a solid African airline now. Too bad South African went to Star. Who else in Africa would make a good addition? ET?

Yazeed

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:20 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 22):
Now all OneWorld needs is a Middle Eastern carrier to cover the area MEA doesn't, and onwards into other markets like Africa. Maybe EK will finally jump in bed with OneWorld!

Royal Jordanian is the Mideastern airlines company that has been invited to join OneWorld alliance.

Aleksandar

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:32 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 39):
They need a solid African airline now.

It seems that all global alliances need one solid African airline.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

commavia

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:11 am

My hope for oneworld membership for the future:

*Alaska/Horizon
*TAM Brazil
*Mexicana
*a Chinese airline (Air China or China Eastern)
*an Indian airline

N276AASTT

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:36 am

With respect to the african carriers, does Air Namibia have a big network on the continent? How do Kenya Airways and Ethiopian fare? They (OW members) may be content with the cities BA brings to the table.
Dejale Caer tu el Peso! YOMO

oneworldman

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:37 am

Needless to say, I am absolutely ecstatic about all of these announcements. My favorite alliance is looking more and more lovely everyday!!!  biggrin   bigthumbsup   bouncy   cheerful 
Querer es poder.

ETStar

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 39):
They need a solid African airline now. Too bad South African went to Star. Who else in Africa would make a good addition? ET?

ET would make an excellent addition to either oneworld or Star, and the airline has already indicated that it is interested in hooking up with alliances in its future.

Quoting N276AASTT (Reply 43):
With respect to the african carriers, does Air Namibia have a big network on the continent? How do Kenya Airways and Ethiopian fare? They (OW members) may be content with the cities BA brings to the table.

Air Namibia does not have much of a network, and is only limited to southern Africa. ET is still solo, while KQ is partly owned by KL and more likely to be part of Skyteam. While BA does serve places in Africa, one of the points of these alliances is being able to feed eachother's services, and if OW does not have a player in Africa, then it is only limited to the Other Continent - Africa services, and nothing within. If customer A wants to go to Addis Ababa, then Nairobi from say New York, they would have to go through multiple airlines to complete the entire journey (ADD-NBO either on ET or KQ, while the rest could be on OW airlines).

RedChili

Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:10 am

Great news for Oneworld! It's the best alliance, in my view.

Quoting ETStar (Reply 45):
KQ is partly owned by KL and more likely to be part of Skyteam.

KQ signed an agreement with Skyteam on 9 June 2005 to become a Skyteam Associate in 2006. Read http://www.skyteam.com/EN/aboutSkyteam/pressCenter/pr060905.jsp
Top 10 airplanes: B737, T154, B747, IL96, T134, IL62, A320, MD80, B757, DC10

fewsolarge

Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:14 am

Good to see some balance in North Asia. Congrats to both sides ... it's a good match.

anxebla

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:14 am

Surprise, surprise

Very BIG surprise, indeed. My whole bet about JAL was always to Keep away from any global airline alliance. This may reinforce idea that global airlines alliances are something more than just marketing since JAL has always been a sceptical airline towards airlines alliance's entire concept

JL has been expanding codeshares with KE of late, so this came as a little surprise.

That's the least of it. There is a lot of code-share between OW/SkyT airlines since they have several characteristics in common: for instance, competing against Star.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 16):
For me, it was always a question of "when" and not "if" JL joined Oneworld.

That's not true at all. Like I have said JAL has always been sceptical about the effectiveness of alliances. Furthermore JAL has code-shares agreement with SkyT's carriers as well.

I HOPE that, but I think with the IB/JAL code-share via AMS is at the moment more than enough, I'm afraid.

On the medium term, LA could serving some Asian destinations but not at the moment.

Quoting Nethkt (Reply 17):
Though I prefer star alliance!

Not me, but anyhow ...It's a very personal matter  Wink Of course there are excellent Star carriers such as TG, SQ, or ANA ....but like an alliance I still prefer OW or/and SkyT.

OneWorld is growing really fast

OW needs growing and updating. A fact is OW needs more JAL than JAL needs to be an alliance member

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 38):
If LX had been allowed to join without any BA molestation

I totally agree wth you. It was a BA mistake, I think.

Quoting N276AASTT (Reply 43):
With respect to the african carriers, does Air Namibia have a big network on the continent?

Carriers in all continents can be useful in a global airline alliance
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

chinaeastern

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:21 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 26):

CA is just playing around as usual, they are not intending to join any alliance at the moment. CX's tie up with CA doesn't mean CA is moving towards ow.
first of all,
CA's key codeshare partners: UA, LH, NH, NW et al,

MU: QF, AA, JL, KE, UX, AF....
clearly, MU is not even close to move to star and if CZ ends up in ST, the only choice for MU really is just ow.
CX is important in ow, but not that not replacable, ie theoritically, MH could do the job.
plus, CX and MU do still cooperate and the FFP program has long been partners before CA and CX.
i think CX just don't want to stick with one mainland carrier b4 they can establish their own market in mainland.

btw, absolutely graceful to hear about JL's intention to join ow/