B777Boeing
Topic Author

Miami Airport Damage

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:20 am

I have seen pictures of damaged stored aircraft on television since Hurricane Wilma. I was curious if these aircraft were at MIA or Opa Locka in FL. If any one has pictures of the damage at MIA or FLL I would love to see. I am surprised that there is so much damage to keep FLL closed.

airfoilsguy

RE: Miami Airport Damage

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:04 am

One thing I have always wondered, why don't people who own aircraft move their planes out of the way of hurricanes? Think about it, airplanes are the most expensive possessions that are also the most vulnerable to hurricanes. They are also the easiest to move out of the way of a hurricane. If I had a plane and a hurricane was coming, you can bet I would get it the hell out of the hurricanes way.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

caboclo

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:21 am

What about the airlines? Do Arrow and Amerijet leave their planes there during a storm?
Freight dogs have more fun

njdevilsin03

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:52 am

According to the Sun-Sentinel here's the latest...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...770.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Miami...The airport was still making repairs to damage caused by the hurricane; 39 of 98 jet bridges needed to be fixed, Floyd said.

FLL and PBI just don't have power...

North Perry I know it's not a commercial airport saw some heavy damage to planes on the ground...

The Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood area was hit extremely hard and i don't think the news is focusing as much on the Hollywood/Dania area where the airport is located as they are on Northern Broward County and Miami...It's pretty bad jsut south of 595 from what my parents are telling me.
717, 727, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 753, 762, 763, 777, DC9, MD80, DC10, L1011, ERJ, CRJ, ATR, DH8, A300,

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:02 am

Latest info I have is that PBI has restored power and is operational.

FLL has power also, but water pressure is an issue. Some flights will run but only noon-six or so, as they also have a general curfew for the city/area.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ikramerica

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:05 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):
They are also the easiest to move out of the way of a hurricane. If I had a plane and a hurricane was coming, you can bet I would get it the hell out of the hurricanes way.

Yeah, I mean people should abandon their homes and their families, worth far more to them than any single engine toy, skip out on preparing for the hurricane, and just take off and fly the things to safety. Why don't more people do that?  Wink
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

eksath
Crew

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:11 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 4):

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 4):
FLL has power also, but water pressure is an issue. Some flights will run but only noon-six or so, as they also have a general curfew for the city/area.

Hi OPNLguy,

Can you expand on that? I have a 9pm 10/26 arrival at FLL right now...Maybe i should I should reschedule

thanks
World Wide Aerospace Photography

miaskies

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:05 pm

Quoting Njdevilsin03 (Reply 3):
Miami...The airport was still making repairs to damage caused by the hurricane; 39 of 98 jet bridges needed to be fixed, Floyd said.

Hmmm not all true.... hello from Miami! FTL is closed and Terminal 1 needs major repair.

MIA was back open at 5:15pm today on Tuesday...1st flight landed at that time. I had to pleasure of seeing a LAN 763ER fly over my house at around 6:30pm over my house...a much welcomed site after seeing only Red Cross/Army Helicopters.

All is well...

greetings from Miami.
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:39 pm

Quoting Eksath (Reply 6):
Hi OPNLguy,

Can you expand on that? I have a 9pm 10/26 arrival at FLL right now...Maybe i should I should reschedule

There's a general curfew from 7pm Tuesday evening to 7am Wednesday morning, and that could be extended. The Mayor said driving is dangerous because signals are out and people are blowing intersections.

I'd check out Miami TV stations and newspapers for what's going on, and contact your airline to see their plans for Wednesday.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

USADreamliner

Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:34 pm

why don't people who own aircraft move their planes out of the way of hurricanes?

Or maybe next time, the weather channel can be a little more precise about the category of the hurricane.I live in Miami and between cat. 1 and cat. 3 there's a BIG difference.Why worry if the "experts" say that it's not going to be a problem for S.F? Angry  Angry

legacy135

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:54 pm

One thing I have always wondered, why don't people who own aircraft move their planes out of the way of hurricanes?

I was on Tamiami Airport in 1992 maybe two weeks after the hurricane Andrew passed over and asked them exactly this question. For me as an European, living in a place without this weatherphenomene it seems logical to fly the planes out.

They told me then, that first it was only that severe really in the core of the hurricane and that it couldn't be estimated that precisely where it goes by that there was enough time to move all belongings out. They also explained that they were thinking that the doors of the hangars would resist, what they did not then.

Looking at the case like this I am tempted to say as well, fly it out... How I really would react, I don't know as situations are always looking quite different if someone is involved personally and it's not going to be a scenario but serious.

Without wanting to bring up some bad intention, but can somebody explain me how the situation with the insurance is after a hurricane, regarding aircraft? If I read the policy of our aircrafts, the policy says that "major forces" and natural disasters are excluded. On the other hand I once lost a car in a flood and this was covered by the hull insurance. Does anybody have experience or knowledge how they handle those cases regarding the hurricanes?

Thank you for explaining and to all of you, being in the affected areas my sincere wishes that you may have the situation back to normal soon and that hopefully this hurricane season comes now to an end.

Cheers
Legacy135 Smile

ikramerica

Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:11 pm

Quoting USADreamliner (Reply 9):
I live in Miami and between cat. 1 and cat. 3 there's a BIG difference.

First, it was predicted to come through MIA for a week, and it did. You had time to prepare. Prepare for the worst is the best advice you can ever follow.

Second, it was predicted to be about a Cat 2, and it was. They claimed Cat 3 in headlines, but there WERE NO REPORTED CAT 3 SUSTAINED WINDS, only gusts. Gusts don't make a classification. It's max sustained winds. That means it was a Cat 2.

Cat 2s can be nothing or can be very BAD. As a Miami resident, you've actually ducked a lot of storms recently, but I've been in a Cat 2 in Key West, and it was about the same kind of damage Key West saw this time (more storm surge form the north this time).

No idea why Cat 2 storms aren't called major. They tend to do a lot of damage and cause a lot of flooding. Anything over 100 mph sustained should be called a major hurricane. The 111 mph threshold makes little sense in terms of damage.

I'd like to see the whole system revamped, based on size, intensity, etc. It is a remnant of a time before radar and computers, and is very non-descriptive.

A new classification system would make it much more useful to the layman, the person actually in danger.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

miamix707

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:19 am

Ikramerica a hurricane is a hurricane. Im really surprised at the damage though, it seems it didn't lose any intensity at all from one coast to another. Some communities.. and nature aren't used to hurricanes. Last year Charlie passed through the Orlando area and you still see trees bent and huge oaks and pine trees with most of the brances cut and leaning to one side. Last year I had just left orlando a week before Charlie hit, now I'm not in s.florida to see wilma.. lucky  Wink

I imagined the damage would be only a few downed trees in Miami-Dade and South Broward, I'm not there to see it right now though.

I saw on the news a TAM A330 landing and they were saying that was the first flight to land at MIA.

..as far as OPF I was shocked to see the ex JAS A300 that I had just shot some months ago in perfect conditions had been rammed by another airliner and has a big hole in the fuselage now.

MAH4546

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:29 am

American Airlines mainline has, for the most part, resumed normal operation. American Eagle has not, since they are still in the process of flying their planes back to MIA. They were parked in Nassau, Freeport, and Valparaiso.

All domestic airlines except Delta has resumed full operations. European airlines also all appear on schedule to land today at MIA, as well as most international airlines, some, like BWIA, operating an extra flight for the day.

[Edited 2005-10-26 17:32:53]
a.

MAH4546

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:45 am

Just to update:

Select American Airlines flights remain canceled due to crew and fleet shortages, but most flights are operating. All flights from Miami to Cancun are, obviously, canceled. Virgin Atlantic will be operating an extra flight from and to Heathrow today to carry stranded/delayed passengers.
a.

komododx

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:58 am

Mark,

By when will Eagle be back on track? I had a friend coming up to JAX Friday and returning Monday (still hoping to see AEagle in TLH), but she's flying non-rev. Any chance? Or should we just forget about it?

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

jetblueatjfk

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:12 am

Quoting MIASkies (Reply 7):
Hmmm not all true.... hello from Miami! FTL is closed and Terminal 1 needs major repair.

Wait is that FLL? I hope not, T1 is with a lot of airlines. It is weird that I was lounging out in T1 by jetBlue in Concourse C about 2 months ago watching the planes go by and enjoying the terminal and now it needs major repair. Hard to imagine.

airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane 

zippyjet

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:18 am

Hmmm not all true.... hello from Miami! FLL is closed and Terminal 1 needs major repair.

As a matter of fact, we have a special one time direct from PBI
FL flight # 2002: PBI-BWI. Departed PBI at 1520 due to arrive at BWI at 1744 gate D 21 with 90 pax on board!  bigthumbsup 

And our flights in and out of MIA which are to and from ATL
are flying!

Best of luck to all of you A-Netter's in Florida! Hang in there! BTW, how are actual conditions in Miami Beach and Sunny Isles, FL?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jay Selman

I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

captaink

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:26 am

I agree with some here, that say a hurricane is a hurricane. I think once it gets to hurricane status Cat 1, take the storm very seriously. I have only had the "privilege" of enduring one storm that started as a CAT3 and changed to a CAT4 as it passed over the island, that was Hurricane Ivan last year, and trust me, when next I hear the word HURRICANE, I will be going very fast in the opposite direction if I can.

Hurricanes have unbelievable power, kind of hard to describe on here, just need to see it yourself. YOU HEAR A HURRICANE IS COMING? DON'T TAKE CHANCES, EVEN IF IT "MAY" NOT HIT YOU DIRECTLY, PREPARE!!!

BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY
There is something special about planes....

MGA

Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:09 am

One thing I have always wondered, why don't people who own aircraft move their planes out of the way of hurricanes?

I´m pretty sure some airlines pull their planes out of harms way. I know for a fact that Amerijet (cargo based at MIA) either leaves their planes at the destination they served or fly them to another airport. The other airlines, I dont know. Perhaps an AA employee from MIA can help us?

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

MAH4546

Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 15):
By when will Eagle be back on track? I had a friend coming up to JAX Friday and returning Monday (still hoping to see AEagle in TLH), but she's flying non-rev. Any chance? Or should we just forget about it?

Eagle should be on track by tomorrow. The only issues they have been having are lack of planes since they are parked at VPS, NAS, and FPO. Mostly all the planes are back by now.

As for flying non-rev, I don't forsee it will be problem on MIA-JAX. It probably would be on most routes, like to the Northeast and major hubs airports, but I don't think a regional flight to JAX should be a huge problem.
a.

airfoilsguy

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 5):
Yeah, I mean people should abandon their homes and their families, worth far more to them than any single engine toy, skip out on preparing for the hurricane, and just take off and fly the things to safety. Why don't more people do that?

Please, spare me your sarcasm. I managed to get a condo boarded up move two cars and a boat to a safe location plus organize the evac of company personal that happened to be in Mexico. I did all this in 1 day, 3 days before the hurricane even made land fall. Nobody put at risk, just smart planning.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Aviation

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:23 am

Miami Has to be one of the greatest Airpost in the world, what a history!

Cheers,
Signed, Aaron Nicoli - Trans World Airlines Collector

miaskies

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:28 am

MIA seems to be back on track... saw a LAB 763ER on final today... and lots of AA Silver Birds flying over Downtown Miami!

Good to see MIA getting back to normal slowly...

Checking the departure board MIA is still not fully functional w/ AA, LAN, TAM, US and some TED flights dominating the departure board mostly. Tommorow im sure we will see more carriers up there.

Any reason why LAX and SFO arrivals to MIA tommorow morning (Red Eye) on AA are still cancelled? That would mean alot of stranded passengers in LAX if all 4 or 5 flights and the 3 flights to SFO are cancelled until now.

Not sure about FTL I believe they open tommorow.

DB777

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:57 pm

FLL is reported on TV to be reopening tomorrow from 0700 to 1900. This is the longest closure duration of FLL since Hurricane King in 1950 according to one of the local TV stations tonight. The early closure is thanks to the curfew at 2000, which is sure to grate on people's nerves when they're out trying to get food or gasoline and have to go home empty handed. The cops ran everyone off from a local open McDonald's drive-thru in my neighborhood (the only place open for miles) last night and told the restaurant manager to shut down because of the curfew.

Anyone coming down here for fun in the next few days will be disappointed. There are huge areas without power, especially in Broward County, and long lines for everything at the relatively few places that are open (groceries, restaurants, gas stations, etc.) If you love excitement then come on down because every intersection with dead traffic signals is an invitation to suicide with many drivers not stopping as required by law, even with temporary stop signs erected on the street in some places. Patience is wearing thin thanks to the power outages and the traffic snarls due to dead traffic signals, and when the cool dry weather ends in a day or two and people are all hot and sweaty it will get worse.

Photographing aircraft since the Earth was flat and on Airliners.net since #338

miamix707

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:16 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 17):
Sunny Isles, FL?

well I just saw a picture in the welcome screen of my internet provider of a car's rear end on top of another car's hood in a parking lot.. tornado, storm surge, or what? Either way that's crazy.

Quoting DB777 (Reply 24):
The cops ran everyone off from a local open McDonald's drive-thru in my neighborhood (the only place open for miles) last night and told the restaurant manager to shut down because of the curfew.

as usual, always bothering the wrong people

If you love excitement then come on down because every intersection with dead traffic signals is an invitation to suicide with many drivers not stopping as required by law, even with temporary stop signs erected on the street in some places

Even when the traffic lights are working people in Miami don't drive any better. I'm glad I'm not down there right now. I've actually been wating on a light where, after the cars on the opposite direction decided to take the red light and got stuck in the middle of the intersection on a rush hour, the other cars coudl not pass when their turn came, and when the interesection started to clear, everybody who was blocked off by the a.holes who took the first red light started to turn on the red. All I could do was laugh, people were crossing on the wrong light.

Patience is wearing thin

Even in perfect weather, Patience and Miami don't go together, lol.

DB777, have you snapped any pics of damaged planes at OPF?

LGA777

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:01 pm

DB777, I hope you can still make it to BOS ?

Regards

LGA777

DB777

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:10 pm

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 25):
DB777, have you snapped any pics of damaged planes at OPF?

Yes, I got a bunch on Tuesday morning before any cleanup started. I'll get them uploaded one of these days. The t-hangars southeast of the CG Air Station blew apart with metal flying all over the area. Lots of light aircraft overturned plus some other damage to larger aircraft.

Quoting LGA777 (Reply 26):

It's funny you made that comment. I learned last night that JetBlue has cancelled all three flights to BOS tomorrow, even though FLL re-opened this morning. I suspect it's due to the gate and holdroom damage at Terminal 1. I need to rebook on another airline and if the cost is too high I'll have to cancel out. Damn you Wilma!  Smile

deltagator

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:54 pm

Even in perfect weather, Patience and Miami don't go together, lol.

How true.

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 21):
Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 5):
Yeah, I mean people should abandon their homes and their families, worth far more to them than any single engine toy, skip out on preparing for the hurricane, and just take off and fly the things to safety. Why don't more people do that?

Please, spare me your sarcasm. I managed to get a condo boarded up move two cars and a boat to a safe location plus organize the evac of company personal that happened to be in Mexico. I did all this in 1 day, 3 days before the hurricane even made land fall. Nobody put at risk, just smart planning.

A little bit of a variation here. Take care of boarding up the house, pack your suitcase, move the cars to higher ground, and then fly out to somewhere else. I'm guessing if you can afford a private plane you could probably afford to get a rental car in your destination and a hotel to stay in while gone. You avoid the Interstate traffic jams and stay safe.

It isn't like we didn't know the darn thing was coming. My family has it down to a science now and gets the house secured and hurricane shutters down, the boat tied down, the cars in the garage, and the planes either tied down or flown elsewhere.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 18):
YOU HEAR A HURRICANE IS COMING? DON'T TAKE CHANCES, EVEN IF IT "MAY" NOT HIT YOU DIRECTLY, PREPARE!!!

That is the best advice out there.

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 12):
Ikramerica a hurricane is a hurricane. Im really surprised at the damage though, it seems it didn't lose any intensity at all from one coast to another.

You can thank the Everglades for this one. Not a lot of development in the way and plenty of water under all that grass to fuel the storm.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 11):
I'd like to see the whole system revamped, based on size, intensity, etc. It is a remnant of a time before radar and computers, and is very non-descriptive.

A new classification system would make it much more useful to the layman, the person actually in danger.

I'm not sure about this one. The Saffir-Simpson scale makes good sense to me. If you start building a new model based on size, intensity, etc. you could end up with some weird convoluted mess (kind of like airfare ticket classes) that nobody will understand.

I interpret it this way...

Cat1-nasty thunderstorms for a day, a tad windy, might lose some shingles or the shed.
Cat2-Stay inside and not in a trailer, definitely going to lose some shingles and see some flooding, plus Disney built houses will be roofless.
Cat3-Someone is definitely going to lose a trailer, houses get beat up pretty bad, lots of flooding, and you probably should leave.
Cat4-Get the Hell out of town.
Cat5-You're building a new home or moving somewhere else.

*For New Orleans everything moves up two spots and Cat1/2 get dropped.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

DB777

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:21 am

Quoting DB777 (Reply 27):
Quoting LGA777 (Reply 26):

It's funny you made that comment. I learned last night that JetBlue has cancelled all three flights to BOS tomorrow, even though FLL re-opened this morning. I suspect it's due to the gate and holdroom damage at Terminal 1. I need to rebook on another airline and if the cost is too high I'll have to cancel out. Damn you Wilma! Smile

It turns out that only the first FLL-BOS flight is cancelled and it's due to the curfew that doesn't expire until 0700. I was given bum information when I called at 0200 this morning. The flight cancellation due to the curfew doesn't make sense to me because the curfew only applies to those who don't have a reason to be out on the road, and not to those going to work or taking a trip. JetBlue called me after I bitched on their website comment section and rebooked me on their flight at 1125.

flymia

Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:02 am

Quoting Aviation (Reply 22):
Miami Has to be one of the greatest Airpost in the world, what a history!

Yep it sure it  Smile ! Random comment but very true.

Power is finnally starting to come back in Dade County. MIA is running pretty much normal now. Not sure about FLL or PBI. I know that Air Force One came in today so they had some airspace resrictions.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

ual747den

Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:31 am

a much welcomed site after seeing only Red Cross/Army Helicopters.

We have no helicopters at the American Red Cross. There is no aircraft of any kind. The most exotic form of transportation we have is a Hummer.

Quoting USADreamliner (Reply 9):
Or maybe next time, the weather channel can be a little more precise about the category of the hurricane.I live in Miami and between cat. 1 and cat. 3 there's a BIG difference.Why worry if the "experts" say that it's not going to be a problem for S.F?

People like you bother me. You were told to evacuate and to expect a Hurricane. It doesn't matter if its a 1 or 5 a hurricane is going to be bad either way. A Cat 1 is sometimes worse than a 3 due to the amount of people that leave. Cat 1 takes out power to as many homes on average as a Cat 3 and that is one of the largest problems in a hurricane. We have people that do not listen to the warnings to have 72hrs worth of food, water, and ice then get upset when it take us at the Red Cross a few days to get in. We aren't stupid when we hear a hurricane is coming we get out of the area, so obviously its going to take a while to get everything back in.......
/// UNITED AIRLINES

miaskies

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:46 am

Since everyone seems to be deviating from the topic.. for a change I thought about going back to it...

MIA - Airport Update.. Post Wilma:

I just drove by the airport and saw AZ 763ER, VS 744, AF 744, IB 743 all getting ready at their gates for their early evening EURO departures. But airport still missing alot of Domestic Carriers...only saw one DL airplane parked at their terminal and it was 763ER. Saw a UA 733 and 2 Ted 320's side by side. Saw the return of AA metal at the gates and coming in to land and taking off. Also saw a LAN 763ER-F version landing...quite a beauty in their new paint.

Checking the departure / arrivals board at MIA:

AA still has some good cancelations specially to cities w/ multiple daily flights, BA has both daily 744 flights taking off this evening, NW still has their flights cancelled...

just a taste! things getting back to "normal" slowly...

atlasair

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:16 am

where are the pictures?

zippyjet

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:48 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 17):
Sunny Isles, FL?

That northernmost seaside communitty in Miami Dade County, aka North Miami Beach. When I visit Miami, I usually stay at the Thunderbird and chow down at the Rascal House when not on the beach and being chased by all your bodacious beautiful women. This inquiring mind wants to know how things are on the beaches especially in Miami Dade. Best of luck and our prayers and thoughts go out to you all. Let us hope we do not have to rock and roll through the Greek Alphabet!

"Hippo Hurricane Holler" has had enough business this seson!

[Edited 2005-10-28 01:00:17]
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

flymia

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:27 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 34):

That is a very old picture there. Sunny Isles has changed alot since than. I have no idea how old the picture is early to mid 90s maybe. But its changed alot.

Here is that same atpartment complex with some new buildings around it. Much different does not even look like the same area.

Anyone have info on how FLL is doing? What about PBI? How are flights going there?
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

USF100FAN

Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:19 am

FLL has flights in & out all day pretty heavy today.....I work at the airport for Bombardier we are still closed due to no power.......Fed Ex recieved heavy damage, the roof was ripped off.......We had no damage to our hanger, but across the field the was extensive damage to other hangers, both genaral aviation & cargo facilities......We will be out of work till Tuesday, i'm hearing....Funny thing the airport closes @ 7 p.m......How does an airport close @ 7:00 and try to get back to normal???..SEND HELP!!!! SEND FOOD!!!!

miamix707

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:47 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 28):
Cat4-Get the Hell out of town.
Cat5-You're building a new home or moving somewhere else.

yep. With weaker storms though, 60% of the time the weather channel and the authorities exaggerate things as happened recently in Houston where the evacuation was total chaos for nothing.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 28):
You can thank the Everglades for this one. Not a lot of development in the way and plenty of water under all that grass to fuel the storm.

True, plus the quick forward speed and the flat terrain. I admit this one would have caught me by surprise as I would have had no plans to go anywhere, Didn't think this one would be as bad. Usually the stronger part of the storm is the northern side but on this one the southern side battered the Miami area and with that huge eye (never seen one so larg) the damage was all around. I was pretty surprised to see buildings in downtown FLL with so many windows gone. Also there'is no gasoline, people are having to go as far as Ft Pierce and Vero to find some and that's probably left those gas stations empty by now. People are driving as far as orlando to stay in hotels and escape the madness.

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 34):
I usually stay at the Thunderbird and chow down at the Rascal House when not on the beach and being chased by all your bodacious beautiful women

being chased..? or isn't it the other way around haha Big grin

The Sunny Isles beach area is nice along with all that northern Dade shoreline. I would go all the way out there on some days to just relax and get a tan w/out too many people around and then get in that sometimes crystal clear water and go snorkeling. The snorkeling spots are now all gone due to the stupid sand replacement they do to those beaches. It would be a bit boring to live there otherwise I think, besides as can be seen in the more recent pics, there's almost no green left. Too much of a concrete jungle.

DB777 if you can email me or post some of those pics that'd be great.