Speedbird747
Topic Author

Helvetic To Drop 3 Destinations And Reduce Fleet

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:14 pm

According to several Swiss newspapers, Helvetic Airways is about to drop MAD, PRG and FCO and to dump 2 of its 6 Fokker 100s. That's 33% of the fleet... 6 Pilots and 8 FAs will be laid off.

That's sad news  Sad

aswissinmad

RE: Helvetic To Drop 3 Destinations And Reduce Fleet

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:18 pm

Maybe they sould have implemented yield management earlier.... from MAD they have 20-30 pct load factor and even less to FCO and PRG ... pathetic...

HAJFlyer

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:34 pm

Quoting Speedbird747 (Thread starter):
MAD, PRG and FCO

AFAIK they have never been successful in serving business destinations. They stopped service to AMS and VIE quite some time ago. They don't have enough flights and their services are often not at the right time of the day to appeal to business travellers.

Their fleet is a little bit large for a ZRH-based airline servicing only the leisure market especially now that Easyjet offers very attractive fares to many destinations in southern Europe from its new base in BSL which is just a quick train ride from ZRH.

I am not sure if the new pricing system, the focus on the leisure market and their aggressive promotions like the recent one in cooperation with the Swiss discount supermarket Denner will be enough to safe Helvetic.

aviationmaster

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:20 pm

To me their primary mistake was to operate out of ZRH in the first place. Just look at EZY's success at BSL!

Thomas_Jaeger

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:59 pm

Quoting AviationMaster (Reply 3):
To me their primary mistake was to operate out of ZRH in the first place. Just look at EZY's success at BSL!

Their primary mistake was their fixed price for all flights to all destinations which did not work at all. I have been very pessimistic about this from the very beginning and was surprised to see how long it has taken them to find out they are actually loosing a lot of revenue sticking to it.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

Speedbird747
Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:08 pm

Quoting Thomas_Jaeger (Reply 4):
Their primary mistake was their fixed price for all flights to all destinations which did not work at all. I have been very pessimistic about this from the very beginning and was surprised to see how long it has taken them to find out they are actually loosing a lot of revenue sticking to it.

I agree with that. However, the fixed price policy was changed some time ago and now can book some destinations from as low as 1 Euro...