Topic Author

Today I Piloted A Flight Simulator! WOW!

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:33 pm

Today I had the very lucky chance to take off, fly and land an A320 …. Obviously I was inside a REAL flight simulator… with full controls in my hands.
Here the story:

Today I reach my office in Fiumicino and, while having a nice coffee with some colleagues, I expressed my wish to fly inside a flight simulator at least once in my life (I said at least…).
Immediately one of my colleagues, that has a great experience in the company, told me: Ok, what’s the problem? … let me make a phone call… (my heart just stopped to beat…  hot   hot   hot  )
After that call she told me: Ok, the A320 simulator will be nice for you, I mean right now? I stuttered something like “yes, of course” to her  hyper (with a shrill and very stupid sound of voice)… and we went immediately to the training centre where we met the guy that plays these beautiful toys…
I was first impressed by the external dimension of a flight simulator (made by Thompson): it’s huge eyepopping !!! Once inside my heart started to accelerate… there were a scenario already loaded … Fiumicino Airport, runway 16L, at the sunset, cockpit fully switched on… WOW…!!! hearts  hearts  hearts 

Then I sit down in the right seat and that guy in the left one. He gave me some basic instruction, they he said… OK, let’s go to Milan Linate… so I aligned the plane with the runway, I put the throttle on take off position and, after a “quite straight” run I rotated at 155 -160 KTS… he helped me to retract the gear and the flaps, then I moved in VFR to the Lake of Bracciano, heading for Milan Linate. (… I was very sweaty…) scared 

Then he loaded the Linate landing simulation and immediately after I jumped 5 miles away from the runway… already aligned but too high and too fast… for the first time I experienced the light system positioned on top of the runway that helps you to better understand if you are in correct position or not when descending… I have to say that I was helped by the auto throttle mode and, as for the take off, by the guy that extracted the gear and the flaps while I was approaching the runway… the approach went quite ok… even though I often used the rudder to maintain myself aligned with the runway (it’s not so easy I have to say)

… finally I touched down in a quite rude way (right gear before, then the left one) and near the middle of the runway… then reverse trust activated, gear brakes rudely applied while my main problem was again to keep the plane in the centre of the runway… finally I was able to stop the plane… at less than 5 meters from the grass at the end of the runway…  relieved  WOW … I was very sweaty but still “alive”  praise  (even though the brakes temp raised up to 350° !!!)  redflag  redflag  redflag 

So, at the end of this beautiful experience I have to say that the modern flight simulators provide you with a very realistic scenario that, at least for one day, give you the feeling of being a pilot… airplane 

Anyone else (not a pilot, obviously) here on A.net experienced the flight simulator??? How was your flight???

Cheers  wave 

Toulouse

RE: Today I Piloted A Flight Simulator! WOW!

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:48 pm

Not yet, but one is being organised for here in Toulouse soon! Can't wait! Will probably be the 330 or 340 though.
Long live Aer Lingus!

777klm

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:13 am

I did a KLM 772 simulator session in Amsterdam with a pilot who's a friend of me. Nice flight!
Next flight: AMS - TLV - AMS

TheSorcerer

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:28 am

When I was doing work experience at Bristow Helicopters I got a go on the super puma 332 simulator.
First I got to watch two pilots doing their check up flight. With me and the instructor sitting in the back.
After he had debriefed them, I got a go flying it.

ABZ was loaded, first I familiarized myself with the controls by hovering around a bit.
Then I took off and flew around Aberdeen a bit trying to find my house, unfortunately the graphics weren't that good.
Then I turned out to sea and approached a rig.
The instructor hovered about 100 feet away from the heli deck and telling me what to do.
Then I took over again and made a pretty good landing, bit of a hard touchdown and a bit off center.
The instructor later told me that I was the first person to land on a rig on my first attempt. So whenever I got introduced to someone in the company they went "oh yeah the guy that landed on his first attempt".
When I was in tenerife me and my dad went on a sight seeing flight and the pilot let me take over for about 50 minutes and I must say I found flying a cessna 152 a lot easier than a 332. I think coordinating the collective, cyclic and pedals is hard.
If I'm lucky I might get a go on a BD ERJ 145 simulator sometime (family friend is a senior pilot with BD)

cool that you got a go on an A320 simulator.

How long was your flight?
Thanks

The Sorcerer
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

anandt

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:34 am

Does anyone have any ideas on how make 600£ disappear w/o wifey knowing about it  Smile

c5onknees

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:45 am

Ive flown an L-1011 simulator and also got the chance to taxi a real L-1011 in the right seat with a really cool anonymous Captain.

Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:48 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 3):
How long was your flight?

It's hard to say... during the flight I had an altered sense of the time...  boggled  but I can say between 15 and 20 minutes...

Also your experience was so great!!!  bigthumbsup  You know, my father flew helicopters for 30 years (mainly the unforgettable Sea King) but at that time they didn’t have the simulators… all exercises were “live”… so I never had the opportunity to try… banghead 

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 3):
The instructor later told me that I was the first person to land on a rig on my first attempt.

Today the instructor told me that I wasn't the first one to land "safely" but he said that my landing was "great" for a beginner like me... so I'm very happy!!! spin 

RAMPRAT980

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:50 am

You're one of the lucky ones to have such a great experience. Congratulations !!!!
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

isitsafenow

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:51 am

United used to do this at Denver for the public with either $$$ or miles in their account. Northwest calls their training center NATCO at MSP. They used to let the public for $$$ and advance booking with the threat of cancellation use the different simulators there. The bigger the plane, the more $$$ per hour they would charge. I was quite serious about using the DC 9 a few years ago.
I talked to them a couple of times in the past about "renting" a simulator. but this was all prior to 9-11. I don't know the prcedure today or if they allow the public to rent them. I was told that saturday was the best day for the public but like I stated, this was 5 or 6 years back.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:59 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 8):
United used to do this at Denver for the public with either $$$ or miles in their account.

If I remember well, years ago also Swiss Air offered this kind of service in Zurich for its frequent flyer, both using $$$ or miles...

Great idea but, as you said, 9/11 changed everything...

Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:04 am

Quoting RAMPRAT980 (Reply 7):
RAMPRAT980 From United States, joined Mar 2005, 346 posts, RR: 2
Reply 7, posted Wed Oct 26 2005 17:50:43 UTC+2 and read 39 times:

You're one of the lucky ones to have such a great experience. Congratulations !!!!

The instructor promises me that next time I will fly the Mag Dog simulator... WOW, I guess that it will be much more difficult to land in a "safe" way with that older plane...

Vio

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:10 am

Quote:
Does anyone have any ideas on how make 600£ disappear w/o wifey knowing about it

Sure,

Tell her you got speeding tickets, tickets for expired registration, you forgot your insurance at home and you cursed the cop.

Worked for me...  Smile

Cheers,

Vio
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

MidnightMike

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:12 am

United used to do this at Denver for the public with either $$$ or miles in their account. Northwest calls their training center NATCO at MSP. They used to let the public for $$$ and advance booking with the threat of cancellation use the different simulators there. The bigger the plane, the more $$$ per hour they would charge. I was quite serious about using the DC 9 a few years ago.
I talked to them a couple of times in the past about "renting" a simulator. but this was all prior to 9-11. I don't know the prcedure today or if they allow the public to rent them. I was told that saturday was the best day for the public but like I stated, this was 5 or 6 years back.
safe

We do the simulator rides in the MD11 & 717 simulators, in Long Beach California.

Mike
NO URLS in signature

bjornstrom

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:31 am

http://martin.bjornstrom.se/flyertalk/images/_N6N3919.jpg

http://martin.bjornstrom.se/flyertalk/images/_N6N3927.jpg

We did MD80, B737, B767, A330/340 and Augusta Bell on the Flyertalk meet at ARN. Its really a experience for life if you are a A.NET nut  Smile

http://martin.bjornstrom.se/flyertalk/
(page 2)
Eurobonus Gold | BMI Gold | http://my.flightmemory.com/bjornstrom/

goboeing

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:36 am

Northwest calls their training center NATCO at MSP. They used to let the public for $$$ and advance booking with the threat of cancellation use the different simulators there. The bigger the plane, the more $$$ per hour they would charge. I was quite serious about using the DC 9 a few years ago.
I talked to them a couple of times in the past about "renting" a simulator. but this was all prior to 9-11. I don't know the prcedure today or if they allow the public to rent them.

Unfortunately they no longer let the public rent the simulators. I got to fly a few different ones this spring and they are a lot of fun though!

Not sure I'd pay whatever amount per hour for one over actual flight time, however. The sims are fun and realistic but real flying is hard to beat.

Nick

backfire

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:45 am

Quoting 777 (Thread starter):
Anyone else here on A.net experienced the flight simulator?

Was lucky enough to co-pilot the Fairchild Dornier 728Jet simulator when it was still in development - something of a claim to fame now!

goaliemn

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:07 am

Northwest calls their training center NATCO at MSP.

I've flown afew simulators there. I work for an airline, but not a pilot, so I did get alittle more access than the standard person  Smile

I am a pilot, but a private pilot. I flew a 320. Took off from MSP, flew north a bit up to about 20K ft, then came around to the south and landed it, then parked at a gate. Only intervention needed by the sim tech was I didn't know how to activate the reverse thrusters, so I felt good  Smile

Its quite fun. I'm hoping to do it again soon. If there's space available, its usually not too tough to get into one.

MarshalN

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:19 am

My friend, when he was the chair of their school's aviation club in Hong Kong, took a group trip to Cathay Pacific's training facility back in the day when they were still in Kai Tak. They apparently have some sort of simulator there, although I'm not sure what kind. A few people tried, and EVERYONE crashed...

I guess Kai Tak is hard  Smile

TheSorcerer

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:26 am

Quoting 777 (Reply 6):
You know, my father flew helicopters for 30 years (mainly the unforgettable Sea King) but at that time they didn’t have the simulators… all exercises were “live”… so I never had the opportunity to try…

If it hadn't been for all this health and safety crap I would have got a jumpseat flight out to a rig.
I got to taxii in a S-61 while i was there, best thing is getting on and off throught the back door with the exhausts blowing in your face.
A lot more spacious than the EC 225.

andz

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:48 am

I had about 3 hours in a 742 simulator at SAA just before they dismantled it, about 2 years ago. There were 3 of us and we took turns in the right seat, doing takeoffs circuits and landings at JNB and CPT. I would have thought that with my wife working in SAA flight ops I could have organised more sim time but no....
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:07 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 18):
I got to taxii in a S-61 while i was there, best thing is getting on and off throught the back door with the exhausts blowing in your face.

I flew 3 times the Sea King (as a passenger) and one of the strangest thing that I remember it's the incredible level of noise that you experience INSIDE the copter... you simply cannot stay onboard without a protective headset... it doesn't happen inside other copters like the AB-212  headache   headache   headache 

Quoting Goaliemn (Reply 16):
I flew a 320. Took off from MSP, flew north a bit up to about 20K ft, then came around to the south and landed it, then parked at a gate. Only intervention needed by the sim tech was I didn't know how to activate the reverse thrusters, so I felt good

Hey, we had the same experience... probably because we do the same job.... wink 

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 17):
A few people tried, and EVERYONE crashed...

... so I have to consider myself as a good pilot... praise 

Quoting Bjornstrom (Reply 13):
We did MD80, B737, B767, A330/340 and Augusta Bell on the Flyertalk meet at ARN. Its really a experience for life if you are a A.NET nut

Hey, thanks for sharing with us these beautiful photos... I guess that your flying experience was really amazing with that incredible level of realism eyepopping  eyepopping  eyepopping !!!

TheSorcerer

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:12 am

Quoting 777 (Reply 20):
I flew 3 times the Sea King (as a passenger) and one of the strangest thing that I remember it's the incredible level of noise that you experience INSIDE the copter... you simply cannot stay onboard without a protective headset... it doesn't happen inside other copters like the AB-212

That's the beauty of it  Big grin old, loud and dirty.
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to get in a 214, Bristow still have one but it was either always off flying or parked in the hangar
 Sad . But the sounds of an approaching 212/214 is awesome, makes me think of apocalypse now straight away  Smile .

The Sorcerer

Boeing747_600

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:15 am

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 17):
They apparently have some sort of simulator there, although I'm not sure what kind. A few people tried, and EVERYONE crashed...

I guess Kai Tak is hard

Granted that 47 degree turn onto 135 at Kai Tak was certainly not easy, but most lay persons just dont have the concept of coordinated turns and airspeed control which makes it even harder.

I often see grown men trying to land the 777-type aircraft on the simulator at Dave and Busters and they're using just the yoke and are all over creation and get thrown wildly off the glide path.  banghead 

Now that simulator does need more rudder than you'd normally use on a large jet on finals, but you'd think they'd figure out what the rudder pedals are for!  sigh 

Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:28 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 21):
That's the beauty of it old, loud and dirty.

I fully agree with you and I must say that I love Sea King also because my father (and also the most part of his colleagues) NEVER experienced relevant problems flying it, even though 20+ years spent on that copter with near 7000 flying hours accumulated in the same time frame...

That's a great result!!! bigthumbsup 

Many thanks to Igor Sikorsky...

ceo@afg

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:28 am

I've done this once, and it's the best thing ever.

United Airlines at the old closed Denver Stapleton airport. This was done post 9-11 in a collaboration between Avsim.com, a Microsoft Flight Simulator community website.

My friend and I got to fly a B737-300 simulator each of us taking turns in the right seat (preferred by the flight instructor). We were supposed to do a pre-set flight from KSFO circling the Bay area and come back for a landing. This was the first time any non-UAL/commercial clients of UAL Flight Training were allowed to fly their simulators, so naturally they were a bit antzy about letting us do whatever we wanted to do.

However we smooth talked the guy into allowing us to do touch and go's, and I tell you it really is challenging, but having had an introductory flight lesson in a Cessna 172, and countless hours behind the controls of my own PC, I did fairly well with my two landings.

The most intense and thrilling momemt, was when he showed us what a severe windshear felt like, taking off normally and just suddenly feel the aircraft loose all lift in a simulator is like being in a roller coaster, with your stomach being pushed up and experiencing mild weightlessness, coupled with hurried commands to apply full power and trying to find the correct climb angle.

If anyone of you have a chance to fly a full motion flight simulator, go for it. We had to pay a token $200 for 1 hour each, but it was worth it, and that amount is dirt cheap in comparison to what you'd really have to pay if you wanted to pay commercial rates.

[Edited 2005-10-26 22:30:59]
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue." Steven McCroskey, Airplane!

TheSorcerer

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:41 am

Quoting 777 (Reply 23):
20+ years

Yeah unfortunately only bristow operate this aircraft in ABZ, they have two left and they're due to be decomissioned when bristow's orders for the EC 225 have been delivered.
 Sad
But it's definitely proven itself, while another Sikorsky A/C is having big problems, all of norsk helicopters S-92s are grounded at the moment (and have been for a while), because of cracks in the fuselage (I think it's the fuselage , not sure, but definitely some sort of cracks).

Think they should all stick to the S-61 Big grin
( I know it's outdated)

The Sorcerer

usnseallt82

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:53 am

Today I Piloted A Flight Simulator! WOW!

Glad you were able to experience it. It really is a weird feeling first stepping into one, but very exciting at the same time. We use them all the time for every model aircraft we fly and it really is amazing how much money is put into the 'realism' settings.

Once again, glad you had a good time!  bigthumbsup 
Crye me a river

jafa39

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:25 am

Anyone else (not a pilot, obviously) here on A.net experienced the flight simulator??? How was your flight???

Check my profile, I had a thrash on a 737-300 SIM. You'll find under my Trip reports.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Derik737

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:31 am

I've flown the Dash 8, DC-10, 737NG and A320 sims. My favorite was the A320 followed by the DC-10.

I still think flying the Piper Warrior in real life is a lot more fun! Wish I could still afford to do that, but 100LL is just too expensive to justify it.

himmat01

Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:34 pm

I have been on a B747-400 and Airbus300B4 simulator. I did not fly the a/c, I was on the observer's seat. My dad was the instructor creating emergency after emergency for the trainee pilots.
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:13 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 27):
Check my profile, I had a thrash on a 737-300 SIM. You'll find under my Trip reports.

Hey jafa,

I red your experience report on 737 Sim... It was very nice and funny... I often found in your descriptions the same feeling I had during the flight...

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 26):
Glad you were able to experience it. It really is a weird feeling first stepping into one, but very exciting at the same time. We use them all the time for every model aircraft we fly and it really is amazing how much money is put into the 'realism' settings.

Usnseallt82,
Does your simulators provide you with a "landing into a carrier" scenario???
That's should be definitively the top!!!

LPLAspotter

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:31 pm

Quoting 777 (Reply 9):
If I remember well, years ago also Swiss Air offered this kind of service in Zurich for its frequent flyer, both using $$$ or miles...

I believe Thai used to do this also. Please, correct me if someone knows i'm wrong.

LPLAspotter
Nuke the Gay Wales for Christ

keta

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:35 pm

Congratulations!!! Oh man, that's something I'd love to do! You're very lucky!  hyper 

while having a nice coffee with some colleagues, I expressed my wish to fly inside a flight simulator at least once in my life (I said at least…).
Immediately one of my colleagues, that has a great experience in the company, told me: Ok, what’s the problem? …

How many times I've said that...  worried  Unfortunately, no one was there to hear me...  sigh 

Quoting CEO@AFG (Reply 24):
If anyone of you have a chance to fly a full motion flight simulator, go for it. We had to pay a token $200 for 1 hour each, but it was worth it, and that amount is dirt cheap in comparison to what you'd really have to pay if you wanted to pay commercial rates.

I'd definitely pay $200 or more for such an experience!

I didn't know there were so many of you who had flown in a simulator!  eyebrow 
Where there's a will, there's a way

Topic Author

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:40 pm

Quoting Keta (Reply 32):
didn't know there were so many of you who had flown in a simulator!

It was a surprise also for me!!!  spin 
We are a quite big "community"... Great!!!  wink 

drinkstrolley

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:28 pm

Quoting Anandt (Reply 4):
Does anyone have any ideas on how make 600£ disappear w/o wifey knowing about it

Apply for a credit card without her knowing about it then skim the joint account to pay it, that's how I paid for my PPL (£5 grand!) and she still doesn't know. I told her I was left money!

aircanl1011

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:09 pm

I have visited the AC flight training centre at YYZ several times. I have a friend that used to work there. We would go down and "play" during the night when it was quieter. I had the opportunity to fly the B767, A330, A320-A319. To say it was awesome is an understatement. I was amazed how realistic the scenarios really were and how caught up you would get it all. It was definitely the experience of a lifetime.

ACL1011
CYMRU AM BYTH / WALES FOREVER

MD88Captain

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:17 pm

Simulators are very close to the real thing, but not exactly like the real thing. And just like the airplanes, two identical simulatotors sitting next to each other will have different "feels". I know at my company's simulators, you get to know which box to avoid. Schedulers will even keep checkrides out of one of the boxes that tends to be too touchy/sensitive in its responses.

SAS-A321

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:38 pm

Hi
I flown the A320 simulator at SAS Flight Academy in Stockholm and it was a great experience.

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Niklas Enggaard

This picture was rejected for A.net... even though there is no similar!  covereyes 

[Edited 2005-10-27 14:43:28]
It's Scandinavian

DC10Forever

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:53 pm

I flown all simulators at CAE in São Paulo, Brazil. They have an A320, A330/340, B737NG and MD-11 simulators. It's awesome to fly in one of those, specially the MD-11. Just one sad point is that pictures are completely forbidden.
Better one flying than two grounded

usnseallt82

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:15 am

Quoting 777 (Reply 30):
Does your simulators provide you with a "landing into a carrier" scenario???
That's should be definitively the top!!!

Yeah, the F-18, EA-6B, E-2, and C-2 sims all have carrier landings built into the curriculum. The remaining F-14 ones still have it, but those will be going away soon. Its as real as it can get, with a pitching deck, variable winds off the flight deck, and water spray every now and then. Of course, it doesn't come close to the real thing, but all aviators trained in those models for carrier landings have to go through extensive sims before actually practicing in the real aircraft. Before that, most will go on T-2's or T-45's to practice carrier arrests.

Anyway, glad you got to try out the sim world!  bigthumbsup 
Crye me a river

Longhornmaniac

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:35 am

When I was about 8 I flew the AA 757 simulator at the Flight Academy just south of DFW. Put it on the centerline in fog at LGA, with help from Cecil Ewell, the chief pilot for AA, of course. We also tried to land it on an aircraft carrier, and did, but the computer crashed, and we rolled off the edge. Bummer!
Cheers,
Cameron

UAcosCS

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:49 am

Quoting Backfire (Reply 15):
Anyone else here on A.net experienced the flight simulator?

About 2 months ago I got to fly a UAL 777. I was in Denver at the training facility for UAL. I flew around OGG, shot approaches into LHR, with the fog.
Did touch and go's into SFO, and lastly an aborted landing in IAD.

I got to fly for about 1 hour, maybe a little less, but it was hard keeping track of time when you are having a blast.
We had dreams and songs to sing, It's so lonely round the fields of Athenry.

aircanada014

Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:02 pm

My dad took my friend and I to Toronto Pearson Airport and went inside the B767-200 / B767-300 flight simulator way back in the early 90s. I had an awesome time taking off and landing the 767 simulator. My dad was a pilot for AC so he book a spot for us to use the simulator. I know the feeling of flying the simulator too  Smile

mandala499

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:24 pm

And I just had another session yesterday on the 732 simulator... With a "I fly FS so this should be a piece of cake" person... that gave him a huge wake up call! LOL

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

ReidYYZ

Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:48 pm

Phase II of mtce training is engine run, taxi and emergency drills. Did them all in L1011, A330, A310 full motion and got to fly them, but in a B757 only got a fixed base mtce specific training simulator. It would simulate systems failures so you could follow the proper procedures for trouble-shooting and repair of snags. With all the system controllers for BITE test and for reading fault codes etc... Anyways, it had a white plastic windshield so no visuals, or motion. The instructor still put in a flight plan and off one of us went. I hung back with a second guy. As the instructor was leaning over the capt seat to give advice with two other guys reading checklists etc..and taking their turns. I selected, on the instructors panel, both reversers deployed at about fl350. The 'aircraft' started to drop like a stone, the guy in the left seat started to struggle with it, the other two guys trying to give advice and the instructor trying to figure out why he was having such difficulty. None of those four guys realized that the were descending at a VS of 4-5000 fpm and the altimeter was rattling away. I stowed the T/R's and everything went smooth. They were none the wiser until I told them at dinner later that night. The guy flying actually started to sweat.

DeC

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:21 pm

Wanted to ask people here who flew flight simulators and of course pilots:
How hard / different is when flying fs2004 for years to the top difficulty level and all, even making it more realistic and harder with software like FSPASSENGERS and other similar add-ons to fly on a real flight simulator with physical instruments and all? I mean I know where all the controls all located (in say a B737, A320 mainly) and how they operate but I am sure it’s another thing to operate on keyboards / fs2004 virtual cockpits and another thing to fly in a flight simulator. That would be one of my life-time dreams  Smile
DEC

Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:05 pm

... after playing a fs2004 you'll never be sweaty or still shaking for the emotion...  eek 

boeing767mech

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:13 pm

I did run and taxi designee training in the B738 and B772 in the simulator. After the instructor beat me up doing engine fires and system failures we did a high speed taxi to get the feel of the response of the rudder during high speed. After the first run we decided to accidentally rotate and shoot some approaches. I wanted to see what a CAT IIIB approach was like in a 777 with all hell breaking loose outside. I still don't know how the real pilots can let the airplane fly itself into the airport and not want to take over. But after doing a CAT IIIB approach I have a new found respect and remember it when I upgrade the LMP status of a airplane.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

anandt

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:36 pm

Quoting Drinkstrolley (Reply 34):
Apply for a credit card without her knowing about it then skim the joint account to pay it, that's how I paid for my PPL (£5 grand!) and she still doesn't know. I told her I was left money!

You are awarded an OANF (Order of the ANet Forum) for showing us the path!

SK973

Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:50 pm

It's where I work! Big grin

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Niklas Enggaard
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Niklas Enggaard

Niklas: You got the remark wrong about the 737 though...  Wink
That's Linjeflyg's old 737-300/500 sim. The 737NGs are in the other part of the building!

Quoting DeC (Reply 45):
How hard / different is when flying fs2004 for years to the top difficulty level and all, even making it more realistic and harder with software like FSPASSENGERS and other similar add-ons to fly on a real flight simulator with physical instruments and all? I mean I know where all the controls all located (in say a B737, A320 mainly) and how they operate but I am sure it’s another thing to operate on keyboards / fs2004 virtual cockpits and another thing to fly in a flight simulator.

I have two friends who are real MS FS fanatics flying the most advanced add-ons available (PMDG 737 + proj. magenta and h/w). They've been here to fly the 737NG sims a couple of times and it's interesting to see that their knowledge about the aircraft is pretty good and the most problems they've had is to find the locations for different stuff in the cockpit.
Of course the feeling of the stick is different as well so it's led to a few not-so-smooth landings!  Wink

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos