Sabena332
Topic Author

Amsterdam IATA Code Question

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:37 am

Hi all,

I know the the airport of Amsterdam has the three-letter IATA code "AMS". I remember also that I saw in a timetable of an airline - which I can not remember anymore - that they used the code "SPL".

Is SPL a valid code for Amsterdam? If yes, why has it two IATA codes? Is there any difference when I use the AMS code instead of the SPL code or vv.?

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

coolsan

RE: Amsterdam Iata Code Question

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:11 am

From what I was able to look up, the valid IATA code is AMS, and SPL is the vor/dme id. at Schiphol. Maybe someone can add some more technical input..

Cheers,
Santiago.
"This is the life we chose, the life we lead. And there is only one guarantee: none of us will see heaven"

AMS

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:49 am

Although AMS is the official code for Amsterdam, Schiphol Netherlands, some airlines sometimes may use SPL as for example Royal Jordanian used to do on their Flights JFK-AMS-AMM (AMMAN, Jordan) as AMS and AMM would be very similar and sometimes confused by Baggage staff. Also many airline companies at AMS use SPL as an address as SPL stands for Schiphol Airport.

Regards,
AMS

BOEING787

Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:55 pm

From AMADEUS:

Apparently SPL is Schiopl Railway station!

DAC SPL
A:APT B:BUS C:CITY G:GRD H:HELI O:OFF-PT R:RAIL S:ASSOC TOWN
CITY :
AMS*C AMSTERDAM /NL:NETHERLANDS
RAIL-BUS STATION :
SPL R SCHIPHOL RAIL STATION /NL - 0K
>

Mir

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:06 pm

Quoting Coolsan (Reply 1):
From what I was able to look up, the valid IATA code is AMS, and SPL is the vor/dme id. at Schiphol. Maybe someone can add some more technical input..

That is correct, but the IATA has no use for VOR codes, so it looks like it's the train station, as BOEING787 said.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jwenting

Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:21 pm

I've seen many airlines use SPL instead of AMS.
Garuda does it as well, and not just on passenger documentation.
When I worked for them for a few months writing software they wanted SPL to be used instead of AMS everywhere, including official IATA documents (airway bills for example).

Officially AMS means the city and all its airports I understood, SPL the specific airport.
Of course there's only one airport (so no opportunity for confusion) and many people find AMS easier to understand because they're flying to Amsterdam so many companies use AMS.
I wish I were flying

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:02 am

Thanks for the replies!

So it seems that there is no difference between the AMS and the SPL code. Maybe they reserved the SPL code in advance in case that Amsterdam will get a second airport in the future?

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

HT

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:55 am

Quoting BOEING787 (Reply 3):
Apparently SPL is Schiopl Railway station!

According to www.airlinecodes.co.uk the IATA-code for the rail station is ZYA.

My database of IATA-codes (but I can´t remember where I downloaded the list from years ago) lists both AMS and SPL for Amsterdam Schiphol.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

petertenthije

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:26 am

I was once explained a long time ago that SPL stands for Schiphol, and AMS for Amstelveen (near Amsterdam). Don't know if it is true though. Because Schiphol is closer to Amstelveen then it is to Amsterdam the AMS code stuck.
Attamottamotta!

Yazoo

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:38 am

Same applies for the country, some refer to it as "The Netherlands" while other as "Holland".

... and to add more confusion, the inhabitants are called "Dutch". Don't know how they came up with that one...
Purple Pride!

LJ

Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:28 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 6):
So it seems that there is no difference between the AMS and the SPL code. Maybe they reserved the SPL code in advance in case that Amsterdam will get a second airport in the future?

Officially there are already two airports in Amsterdam. The first is called "Schiphol" and the second is called "Schiphol-Oost" (Schiphol-East)

AMSSpotter

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:47 am

Quoting Yazoo (Reply 9):
the inhabitants are called "Dutch". Don't know how they came up with that one...

Don't know either. My guess is that it has been derived from the word "Diets". The Dutch language in medieval times was called Diets or "Middel-Nederlands" (Middle-Netherlands). But that's just my guess.

lijnden

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:00 am

SPL: Old Schiphol East from the old days. Schip's hol (ship hole) was the corner that is now Schiphol east where many ships wents down due to strange currents.

AMS: Current main airport that was build as Schiphol Centrum in the late 60's
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

HT

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:53 pm

Quoting LJ (Reply 10):
Officially there are already two airports in Amsterdam. The first is called "Schiphol" and the second is called "Schiphol-Oost" (Schiphol-East)

&

Quoting Lijnden (Reply 12):
SPL: Old Schiphol East from the old days.

I first was tempted to believe that "Amsterdam Oost" would be "Lelystad" in FR-terminology !

Quoting Lijnden (Reply 12):
Schip's hol (ship hole)

Wasn´t is "Hell" instead of "hole" ?

Quoting Yazoo (Reply 9):
Same applies for the country, some refer to it as "The Netherlands" while other as "Holland".

First of all, we have to take into account how the country is called in the native language !
Apart from that, there are a number of other names like:
- Holland
- The Netherlands
- Les Pay-Bas
- Die Niederlande (but more frequently "Holland" is used in German language, though this has a slight negative historical background, and therefore I don´t use that term out of respect for the The Netherland´s people - just a bit of political correctness).

IIRC, it derives from the french occupation several hundred years ago, that the term "Les Pays-bas" (--> "The lowlands") was coined, which afterwards was translated into the other languages. IIRC further, "Les Pay-Bas" were in contrast to those lands at slightly higher elevation to the south which is now the part "Valonie" (spelling ?) of Belgium (wasn´t "Flandres" originally also part of what the French called "The pays-Bas" by then) ?

So much for some history lessons for now ... Big grin
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

petertenthije

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:29 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 13):
wasn´t "Flandres" originally also part of what the French called "The pays-Bas" by then)

Correct, however the name Pays-Bas was typically translated as the Low Lands which is the name for NL and Flanders. The Netherlands are just NL and assorted colonies (you know, those tiny mudholes in the carribean).
Attamottamotta!

OH-LGA

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:39 pm

IATA's Code Identifer Demo at their website defines SPL as the following:
http://www.iata.org/ps/publications/codes/demo.htm

Location ID SPL
City Schiphol
Location Name Off-line Pt
Country Netherlands
Country Code NL

I'm personally not sure what to make of it, other than it doesn't define Amsterdam/Schipol airport (which AMS does).

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:54 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 6):

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 5):
Officially AMS means the city and all its airports I understood, SPL the specific airport.
Of course there's only one airport (so no opportunity for confusion) and many people find AMS easier to understand because they're flying to Amsterdam so many companies use AMS.

There is a difference. SPL refers to the Railway Station at Schiphol. AMS is both the city code for the city of Amsterdam, and the airport code for Schiphol Airport - there are a lot of codes that refer to both city and airport, e.g.

CITY :
HKG*C HONG KONG /HK:HONG KONG -SAR OF CHINA-
AIRPORT-HELIPORT :
HKG A HONG KONG INTL /HK - 0K
HHP H H K HELIPORT /HK - 0K

CITY :
JNB*C JOHANNESBURG /ZA:SOUTH AFRICA
AIRPORT-HELIPORT :
GCJ A GRAND CENTRAL /ZA - 0K
JNB A JOHANNESBURG /ZA - 0K
QRA A RANDGERMISTON /ZA - 0K
HCS H RANDBURG HPT /ZA - 0K

CITY :
DEN*C DENVER /USCO:COLORADO
AIRPORT-HELIPORT :
APA A ARAPAHOE CO /USCO - 0K
BFK A BUCKLEY ANGB /USCO - 0K
DEN A DENVER INTL /USCO - 0K
>

CITY :
AMS*C AMSTERDAM /NL:NETHERLANDS
AIRPORT-HELIPORT :
AMS A SCHIPHOL /NL - 0K
RAIL-BUS STATION :
ZYA R AMSTERDAM RAILWAY /NL - 0K
SPL R SCHIPHOL RAIL STATION /NL - 0K

CITY :
LAX*C LOS ANGELES /USCA:CALIFORNIA
AIRPORT-HELIPORT :
JCX A CITICORP /USCA - 0K
LAX A LOS ANGELES INTL /USCA - 0K
VNY A VAN NUYS /USCA - 0K
WHP A WHITEMAN /USCA - 0K
CCD H CENTURY CITY /USCA - 0K
JID H CTY IND HPT /USCA - 0K
JSN H SHE OAKS HPT /USCA - 0K
JLX H UNION STN HP /USCA - 0K
JUC H UNIV HPT /USCA - 0K
RAIL-BUS STATION :
JBP B COMMERCE BUS /USCA - 0K
JWC B WARNER BUS /USCA - 0K
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

A319114

Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:37 pm

Quoting Yazoo (Reply 9):

Officialy 'our' country is called 'The Netherlands'. Holland only applies to North- and South-Holland (the provinces), though you're right it is sometimes used as a name for the entire of The Netherlands.

And indeed, Belgium used to be part of the Netherlands as well untill in 1830 they decided to start their own little country  Smile
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation