oxygen

Emergency Escape Lighting

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:58 pm

Hey I have a question:

Why is that on some aircraft, there are flourenscent stripes stuck along the edges of the aisle, presumably for emergency escape, for example on this Cathay Pacific A340-300 economy class:

While some aircraft, the white stripe is not present? for example on this Cathay Pacific A330-300...

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Jason Lau

The A330-300 in the picture is newer than the A340-300, by the way.
I understand that the flourenscent stripe are some new stuff, but then, where are the emergency escape lighting on the A330-300 in the second picture ?

longhauler

RE: Emergency Escape Lighting

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:23 pm

It is fitted to the underside of the seats, shining downward in an emergency. Both methods are effective and legal.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Icaro

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:31 pm

In some airbus planes the lighting path is composed of some lights attached to the bottom of the aisle seats, usually every two rows, that's why you don't see anything on the floor.
Also floor lightning with real lights is being gradually changed in many airlines for the fluorescent type, much cheaper.

HAWK21M

Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:17 am

The location can be floor mounted,which can be damaged by Pax stepping on them frequently.
The option is also to have them mounted on the outboard side of the seats.
The Idea is to illuminate the path in an Emergency.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Sabena332

Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:24 am

A few weeks ago I read an article in the Lufthanseat (LH's employee newspaper) about the company which is producing these fluorescent stripes, unfortunately I can't find the issue at the moment, the article was pretty interesting.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

litz

Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:38 am

It's also to be noted that these things DO work; in some of the cell phone pictures taken inside the Air France plane that landed/crashed in Toronto (posted back when the accident occurred), you can plainly/clearly see the emergency lighting at work, including the ceiling spots by the exit door.

- litz

JAFA

Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:47 am

Most of you are on the right path.

The strip has to "charged" by the cabin lights, so that they will glow in an emergency. They are to indentify where the exits are in a dark and or smoke filled cabin. The exits are always indicated by a contrasting color, or the work exit.

alternatively there are tiny lights mounted facing the aisle on the bottom portion of the aisle seats (only one side) generally they are white, with the exits marked by red lights. They are to NOT to illuminate the aisle but to identify the exits in a dark and or smoke filled cabin. In that scenario you would be low to the ground and possibly crawling on the floor. They do illuminate the aisle a little but that is not thier purpose. There are other lights moounted on the cieling and at the exits for emergency cabin illumination.

an older method are lights mounted on the floor covered by a clear plastic strip. same idea to show exits in a dark or smoke filled cabin. Where you be crawling on the floor.

Advantages are the strip doesn't have to turned on by a switch, but it does have to have exposure to light to be charged. Usually the cabin lights on full bright for about 15 minutes will do the job.

The lights on the seats have to turned on by a switch. On some planes this same switch activates the exit sign lights.

COEWR

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:03 am

PM or email me if you are interested in this information. I have some promo materials from "PhotoLum" (the guys that make the "Saf-T-Glo" product) since I work for CO as the lighting engineer.

-C

Tod

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:00 am

Saf-T-Glo is becoming more popular all the time, but as of January 2005 Boeing's official line (ref: 777-FTD-33-05001) was that it did not plan to certify it's use on the twin aisle aircraft it builds.

That said, I know it was certified by the FAA and installed on the ex-UA 744 that Corsair is operating.

Tod

Matt72033

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:09 am

Quoting Litz (Reply 5):
It's also to be noted that these things DO work; in some of the cell phone pictures taken inside the Air France plane that landed/crashed in Toronto (posted back when the accident occurred), you can plainly/clearly see the emergency lighting at work, including the ceiling spots by the exit door

course they do, there not just there for show! lol
checked on every daily!

COEWR

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:11 am

Saf-T-Glo came installed on COs "new" 757-300s (read: ex-ATA birds). They are the only planes that mainline CO has this product on (of course Express Jet has it on their RJs). It is quite an interesting product.

-C

IFixPlanes

Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:53 am

The Moderator Sabena332, who criticize LH most of the time, read our Lufthanseat! I am impressed.
Are you searching for new shit you can throw?

Anyone else find Infos for Guideline® here:
http://www.lufthansa-technik.com/guideline/welcome/welcome.html
never tell an engineer he is wrong ;-)

Sabena332

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:00 am

Quoting IFixPlanes (Reply 11):
The Moderator Sabena332, who criticize LH most of the time, read our Lufthanseat!

Yes, I am reading the Lufthanseat.

I am impressed.

Wunder gibt es immer wieder.

Are you searching for new shit you can throw?

In the Lufthanseat?

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

lincoln

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:27 am

Quoting Icaro (Reply 2):
Also floor lightning with real lights is being gradually changed in many airlines for the fluorescent type, much cheaper.

Also much longer life so much less frequent replacement/testing

Quoting Litz (Reply 5):
It's also to be noted that these things DO work;

You can also find out they work by riding on a NW A3xx with an inopp APU. FA upon arriving at the gate at LAX and after engine shutdown: "Had this been an actual emergency landing you would follow the lights that have illuminated to the nearest exit, and always remember the nearest exit may be behind you. Please do not open the emergency exits and thank you for flying Northwest Airlines"

Quoting FA" class=quote target=_blank>JAFA (Reply 6):
The strip has to "charged" by the cabin lights, so that they will glow in an emergency.

I am, of course, no expert on the subject, but the use of glow "tape" (as we referred to it when I dabbled in theater) makes sense... Any airlines using electroluminescent lighting? I would imagine that the MX impact is similar but you don't have to worry about it being "charged" (or fading out if the cabin lights are off)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

oxygen

Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:41 am

Hey, thanks for the answers! They are much clearer to me now.

Best Wishes,
James

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos