aircanada333

Place To Spot In LHR?

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:10 am

Me and my friend from Canada are planning to go spotting at LHR but before we have to know if there are great spots.

If you know some spots just write them please.

Thanks!
De-icing RULZ!!!

pogo

RE: Place To Spot In LHR?

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:15 am

Quite a few places to the east of the airport, Myrtle Avenue & The Green Man pub, and don't forget the visitors centre on the Bath road, you can try the top level of the T2 car park but the views are a bit restricted especially with the construction of the A380 stands.
When in doubt give it a clout

planesailing

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:17 am

I have seen a lot of people by that roundabout just past the BA maintenance hanger and road crossing area.

Slarty

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:36 am

Try http://www.plane-mad.com/guide_view.php?guide=lhr for some pointers.

When I was travelling to Europe frequently, I chose to spend weekends in London, and often stayed at the Renaissance hotel at LHR (rates were quite reasonable on weekends) -- my hotel room was usually ideal for spotting (and outside in the parking lot was even more amazing, especially when the Concorde was still flying). Not sure about the other two road locations, but there is just so much heavy traffic there, I think you'll be pleased just about anywhere.

BCAL

Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:50 pm

Quoting Pogo (Reply 1):
you can try the top level of the T2 car park but the views are a bit restricted especially with the construction of the A380 stands

If you were on the top level of T2 car park, you would soon attract the attention of the security guards as there are CCTVs up there. A security guard would apprend you within a few minutes and will tell you (falsely) that aircraft photography and spotting are not permitted under airport regulations. Most spotters/photographers temporarily disappear when the security guards make an appearance.

For good spotting places at LHR see the thread Heathrow Spotting Places? (by European Nov 18 2004 in Aviation Photography)
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."