FA4B6
Topic Author

BDA In New "Talks" With B6

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:02 pm

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/...ticle?AID=/20051027/NEWS/110270114

Brown in new talks with JetBlue

By Scott Neil

Another attempt is today being made to lure cut-price US airline company JetBlue Airways to set up scheduled flights to and from Bermuda.
Since 2001 the Government has been working to secure a deal with the fast-growing company, which has seen airfare costs tumble on routes where it has competed with other carriers.
Making it more affordable for visitors to reach the Island by air is seen as a key initiative to boost falling tourism figures.
Tourism and Transport Minister Dr. Ewart Brown has been holding talks with JetBlue for the past two years in a bid to attract their custom to Bermuda.
He makes his latest pitch today as he leads a Bermudian delegation to Tampa in Florida to meet with JetBlue Chairman and CEO David Neeleman.
Before leaving the Island, Dr. Brown said: “We have had many meetings with JetBlue over the past few years and I remain confident that Bermuda will eventually welcome JetBlue flights from the east coast.”
Amongst the delegation officials will be Bermuda International Airport general manager Jim Howes and Tourism Director of Sales and Marketing Glenn Bean. In 2004 JetBlue applied to fly to the Island in 2005, but that didn’t happen as the low-cost carrier did not have any aircraft available to service the Island.
It is thought the airline may be able to operate a service to Bermuda by next year if the current talks are successful.
"Leap! And the net will appear."

FA4B6
Topic Author

RE: BDA In New "Talks" With B6

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:17 pm

Does BDA have USA pre-clearance a la YYZ, NAS, etc.?
"Leap! And the net will appear."

tymnbalewne

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:23 pm

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 1):
Does BDA have USA pre-clearance a la YYZ, NAS, etc.?

Yes. Bermuda International Airport (nee Kindley Field) is divided between flights to the USA and those to other destinations. Passengers to the USA clear Customs and Immigrations at BDA.

C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

SHUPirate1

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:29 pm

Quoting TymnBalewne (Reply 2):
Yes. Bermuda International Airport (nee Kindley Field) is divided between flights to the USA and those to other destinations.

Aren't the only flights to non-US destinations from Bermuda four weekly flights by British Airways to Gatwick?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

MAH4546

Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:36 pm

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 3):
Quoting TymnBalewne (Reply 2):
Yes. Bermuda International Airport (nee Kindley Field) is divided between flights to the USA and those to other destinations.

Aren't the only flights to non-US destinations from Bermuda four weekly flights by British Airways to Gatwick?

In terms of scheduled flights, yes.
a.

tymnbalewne

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:39 pm

I believe Air Canada flies to Bermuda.

C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

BDABOY

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:51 pm

British Airways and Air Canada operate from a separate section at Bermuda International. Otherwise customs/immigration pre-clearance is available for all U.S. flights.
Bermuda desperately needs some cheaper airfares although I fear it could be too late for the tourism industry! USA3000 only offers a limited service which involves only 2 flights per week to Baltimore in the winter (also to newark and I think Philadelphia in the summer), and their connections are relatively limited.
JetBlue would be a great addition but we're not so hopeful here despite another round of talks.

jayhup

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:11 pm

BDABOY...just curious...do you work for the airport or one of the airlines?

JH

InTheSky74

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:17 pm

I would like to see JetBlue start at least 1 daily flight from BDA to JFK, BOS, IAD and even FLL. They could use the new E190 aircraft.

Does anyone know why airlines (and cruise lines for that matter) only seem to fly from Northeast cities to Bermuda and nobody ever leaves from the south? Bermuda is a beautiful city, and I know a LOT of people in Florida that would like to travel to Bermuda, but it's not easy to do - you have to fly up to the Northeast and then back down to Bermuda. (No cruises leave from Florida to Bermuda either).

Does anyone know why?

Anyway - I hope to see JetBlue add BDA to it's list of cities!

Rob

usairways85

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:35 pm

Don't forget during the busy season US offers service from BDA-BOS, LGA, PHL, DCA, BWI, CLT, MCO

InTheSky74

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:53 pm

US flies from MCO-BDA?

Rob

jetbluefan1

Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:22 am

I have a feeling that BDA is in the very close future. Perhaps early '06 even. JFK-BDA and BOS-BDA would be major money-makers.

There are no U.S LCC's in BDA, correct?

JetBluefan1

MAH4546

Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:37 am

Quoting InTheSky74 (Reply 8):
Bermuda is a beautiful city, and I know a LOT of people in Florida that would like to travel to Bermuda, but it's not easy to do - you have to fly up to the Northeast and then back down to Bermuda. (No cruises leave from Florida to Bermuda either).

US Airways flies MCO-BDA during the summer and American Airlines flies MIA-BDA year-round.
a.

RIOJANEIRO

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:01 am

The 'new' US Airways will be the only LCC to fly to BDA.

As far as B6 expansion, don't they need some sort of ETOPS/Overwater Certification to fly A320's over there?

MAH4546

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting TymnBalewne (Reply 5):

I believe Air Canada flies to Bermuda.

Correct. They fly from Hamilton to Halifax and Toronto.
a.

jetblueatjfk

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:36 am

Quoting RIOJANEIRO (Reply 13):
As far as B6 expansion, don't they need some sort of ETOPS/Overwater Certification to fly A320's over there?

They will be able to fly it, it isn't that far off and they have it for a certain distance. They can make it to AUA fine with all the requirements so BDA is fine.

BDA would be great, probably 2X 190 JFK, 2X 190 BOS, and later on it would be great if they added 1X IAD (rising to 2 if it is a good route) and 2X FLL.

airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane 

A330323X

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:37 am

USA 3000 serves BDA from BWI/EWR/PHL. Only the BWI is year-round IIRC.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

dutchjet

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:44 am

Does Bermuda and the US have open skies? Is there any limit on the number of airlines that can fly on a route between Bermuda and the US - I ask because isnt the NYC-BDA route already well served with AA, US and CO already serving the route? Can JetBlue simply add service on this (international) route without governmental approvals?

jetblueatjfk

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:50 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 17):
Does Bermuda and the US have open skies? Is there any limit on the number of airlines that can fly on a route between Bermuda and the US - I ask because isnt the NYC-BDA route already well served with AA, US and CO already serving the route? Can JetBlue simply add service on this (international) route without governmental approvals?

They'll have to get approval but not like a Mexico route request. Don't worry B6 will fill the flights to BDA, many people will pick them to BDA.

A330323X

Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 17):

It's not open skies, there are only specific gateways allowed for BDA service, but AFAIK there's no limit on the carriers allowed to serve BDA. Even the specified gateways aren't that hard and fast--US has sought and received extrabilateral authority to serve other gateways twice in the past.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

irelayer

Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:47 am

I don't think you were being serious but it bears repeating...US Airways is NOT an LCC and no stock symbol will make it so...LCC = Low Cost Carrier (not low "price")...and even after bankruptcy and merger with AW they still have an extremely inefficient cost-structure and a perenially money-losing East Coast route network.

-IR

hiflyer

Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:36 am

couple of notes

The e190 is not coming overwater equipped from what I have read which precludes that aircraft on a BDA service. Futher it may not be capable of the diversion fuel requirments of BDA service which requires enough fuel on arrival for hold and bingo back to the states as an alternate.

B6 has been on the island on diversions on their carib runs...normally medical.

USA3000 has been on the island for a year as the LCC there.

Air Canada is the second non US carrier next to BA.

At 6 bucks a gallon..gas or milk...BDA is not a low cost tourist destination and premium cabin business is quite good to/from the island. BDA normally offers subsidies for new service only if from a new market.

Jeff G

Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:03 am

Quoting Hiflyer (Reply 21):
The e190 is not coming overwater equipped from what I have read which precludes that aircraft on a BDA service. Futher it may not be capable of the diversion fuel requirments of BDA service which requires enough fuel on arrival for hold and bingo back to the states as an alternate.

The E190 is overwater equipped like the A320, so no problems there. It doesn't have the same divert range as the A320 (it's a bit slower on one engine) but that's not a problem for a flight to BDA or most flights to the Caribbean. Operationally there are few if any compromises with the E190 vs the A320.

jerion

Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:59 am

I remember flying DL BOS-BDA-BOS w/ the 767-300 (and ATL too).
The good ol' days. Does DL serve BDA from BOS anymore?

Would B6 fly BOS-BDA??
L10/D9S/D10/M80/M88/732/733/734/735/73G/738/72S/757/762/763/320/319/318/ERJ

jetblueatjfk

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:30 am

Quoting Jerion (Reply 23):
Would B6 fly BOS-BDA??

Most likely they will because they are building up BOS and it looks like most new destinations will have JFK and BOS service not just JFK.

columbia107

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:15 am

At 6 bucks a gallon..gas or milk...BDA is not a low cost tourist destination and premium cabin business is quite good to/from the island. BDA normally offers subsidies for new service only if from a new market.

Great. Hope it comes true. One other airline to include in my vast collection of aircraft at BDA airport.

I agree that BDA is not a low cost tourist destination. In addition night life is not that exciting when compared with other Caribbean destinations and no car hire facilities are available, However, I do not agree with your 6 bucks a gallon gas or milk. Yes both commodities are expensive but at least some 50% less than quoted by Hiflyer.
Nevertheless it is a beautiful island and certainly much safer than any Caribbean destination. And its people are very friendly. Particularly its senior citizens!
In God we trust

Traindriver

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:33 am

I had the privilege of being stationed in Bermuda while in the
Navy from April of 69 to May of 71. During that time Northeast
used to fly between BDA-BOS using either DC-9's or 727's.
EASTERN used to fly to JFK using 727's and DC-8's to Newark.
AC used to fly DC-8's to both Montreal and Toronto. I flew aboard
the first Pan Am 747 to JFK. BOAC had daily service to JFK using
VC-10's. BOAC also flew to LHR a couple times a week using 707's.
I think those flights came from Montego Bay, but I can't say for sure.
Every once in a while a Qantas 707 and British Caledonian 707
would stop over. On the military side, the USN flew P-3 Orions and we'd
get quite a few USAF C-130's and C-141's.
I imagine B6 would be a welcome addition, as all of NYC is very high on
their product......Still love the Gosling's Black Seal Rum!

columbia107

Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:24 pm

Quoting Columbia107 (Reply 25):
However, I do not agree with your 6 bucks a gallon gas or milk.

Apologies Highflyer, my wife has just confirmed that the price of gas is US$6 per gallon. You see in Bermuda, the man buys the car and pays for the petrol but the woman drives it. The reason being that only one car per household is permitted.
In God we trust