columbia107

Competition For BA On The London-Bermuda Route

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:57 am

Fly First Class, a Florida-based company are planning to launch five-day-a-week flights between Bermuda and London as early as next January.

Although still waiting for final UK Government approval , First Class Fly intends to target both the business and leisure markets with the service, which will also visit Wilmington, North Carolina two days a week.

The airline will use 767 wide-body aircraft, carrying 90 passengers in a cabin layout that is actually big enough to accommodate around 200, divided into three classes – First Class, Business Class and Suite Class – with in-flight DVD players standard for all classes of service.

Among the luxuries on offer to the ten First Class passengers on each are a six-course ‘linen and china service’ meal prepared by an on-board chef, and 78 inch pitch seats.

But all goodies do not end there. It appears that Fly First Class intentions are to offer unrestricted year-round fares for the round trip from Bermuda to the UK at extremely attractive prices, US$5200 for a first class seat, $3800 in business class and $1399 for suite class seat.

The flight into the UK will land at Stanstead Airport which is linked to central London by a fast train link to Liverpool Street Station.

It appears that Fly First Class's proposed schedule, which is still waiting for the final green light, will consist flights out of London on Monday and Thursday mornings will arrive in Bermuda in the early afternoon. Return overnight flights from Bermuda to Stanstead, London will depart Bermuda on Monday and Thursday evenings. On Fridays, a service to Bermuda will depart the UK in the morning. This flight will return on Saturdays by way of an overnight flight to London. A service will also leave the UK on a Sunday morning, arriving in Bermuda in the early afternoon, local time. Trips both ways between Bermuda and Wilmington, North Carolina will be offered on Friday and Sunday afternoons.

First Fly Class will also be able to benefit from providing freight services to Bermuda from the USA and the UK.

This augurs well for the residents of Bermuda who have so far had to accept a BA monopoly on the London- Bermuda route charging some pretty exorbitant prices. Fly First Class air fares appear to be some 25% cheaper than BAs.

In fact, BA's coach or World Traveller class represents some 50 per cent of the seats of the T7-200 used by BA on the route. The disgusting fact is that such cabin class occupies some 33% of the aircraft's cabin space.

Fortunately my employers subsidize my flights and I am therefore able to travel on a higher class cabin.
In God we trust

LGW

RE: Competition For BA On The London-Bermuda Route

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:12 am

Hi all,

BA may have competition on London-Bermuda, but they have the advantage of not flying out of STN!

As for a fast train to Central London....depends on your interpretation of the words, fast and Central

Cheers

Ben Pritchard

columbia107

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:22 am

Quoting LGW (Reply 1):

As for a fast train to Central London....depends on your interpretation of the words, fast and Central

Well Liverpool Street is Central London.

Besides a 25% savings represents a good 4 star hotel for one night plus top notch tickets at one of London's West End theatres. All for the added extra "cost" of 30 minutes traveling time.
In God we trust

B742

Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:29 am

Good to see another US carrier into the UK!

Which US airline has the biggest presence in Bermuda?

Would any US major ever start mainland US - Bermuda - Europe flights?

Intresting, this article says they wan't to start LTN-EWR flights?
http://www.luxist.com/entry/1234000683044549/

Rob!

[Edited 2005-10-29 21:30:57]

mhodgson

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:07 am

Wilmington? Seems an odd choice!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Shamrock_747

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:08 am

Quoting Columbia107 (Thread starter):
In fact, BA's coach or World Traveller class represents some 50 per cent of the seats of the T7-200 used by BA on the route. The disgusting fact is that such cabin class occupies some 33% of the aircraft's cabin space.

What is disgusting about that? Flying in economy is not my idea of fun but the fact is it enables many people to travel who could otherwise not afford to do so. It's not as if BA staff are grabbing random people off the street and forcing them to fly in World Traveller. Every BA 777 has WTP on offer to pax who want to spend a bit more on an economy cabin with extra space.

Btriple7

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 4):
Wilmington? Seems an odd choice!

So this begs the question: How is an airline going to offer flights from ILM-BDA-STN on a 767 configured for 90 passengers with fares starting $699 USD and still make a profit. Is there really a market in Wilmington? The town is nice and all, but how many locals in London and Wilmington want to go to the other. Not very many. I can tell you, because I live in Wilmington. If FlyFirstClass does succeed, I would be VERY happy. I would be able to go and visit my whole family over in Europe.

Best Regards,
Btriple7
Just...fly.

flylondon

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:16 am

An economy class seat taking up proportionatly less space than first or business class!!! Quick call CNN, the BBC every world media outlet! They must run this shocking and "disgusting" fact as their top story!!!

trekster

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:36 am

HAHAHAHAHA

Thats all i can say. I doubt this airline will see the light of day at all
Where does the time go???

Btriple7

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:32 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 8):
HAHAHAHAHA

Thats all i can say. I doubt this airline will see the light of day at all

As much as it hurts me to say, I would have to agree with you.
Just...fly.

aa757first

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:38 am

Quoting Btriple7 (Reply 6):
s there really a market in Wilmington? The town is nice and all, but how many locals in London and Wilmington want to go to the other. Not very many. I can tell you, because I live in Wilmington.

Wilmington is not far from Philadelphia.

AAndrew

boysteve

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:41 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 10):
Wilmington is not far from Philadelphia

But I presume that PHL will be closer

desertjets

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:43 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 10):
Wilmington is not far from Philadelphia.

Wilmington, NC not Wilmington, DE.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Btriple7

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:54 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 12):
Wilmington, NC not Wilmington, DE.

I sure many Londoners will make the same mistake when they here about this flight.
Just...fly.

columbia107

Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:04 pm

Quoting FlyLondon (Reply 7):
An economy class seat taking up proportionally less space than first or business class!!! Quick call CNN, the BBC every world media outlet! They must run this shocking and "disgusting" fact as their top story!!!

Typical British sense of humour

Quoting Shamrock_747 (Reply 5):
What is disgusting about that? Flying in economy is not my idea of fun but the fact is it enables many people to travel who could otherwise not afford to do so. It's not as if BA staff are grabbing random people off the street and forcing them to fly in World Traveller. Every BA 777 has WTP on offer to pax who want to spend a bit more on an economy cabin with extra space.

Precisely. WTP seats is what BA should offer its WT passengers. In the case of a T7 You are probably looking at 10 WT seats less, the income of which can easily be recovered by charging a small surcharge on a WT fare on the Bermuda route. In the case of BA's other routes, the loss of income would be recovered by the extra business it would attract from its competitors. Value for moeny is what people like.
In God we trust

fbgdavidson

Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:23 pm

WTF, sounds like one of those fantasy airlines a 13yr old CEO wannabe comes up with on here!

Suite Class seems an odd choice for coach, as does the name of the airline!

As for flying from STN, not a good idea, MAXjet and Eos managed to get away with this on face value because they seem to be targetting City of London based flyers with quick connections to the airport via Liverpool Street and the SEX. Does BDA have much opportunities past business travel regarding insurance...enough to sustain an airline such as this?

Regardless of this BA does seem to have extortionate fares ex-LGW for the BDA service.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

wrighbrothers

Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:35 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 15):
13yr old CEO wannabe comes up with on here!

Hey !, Don't bash my ideas  Wink
I must stand up and defend my airline , Go BA go !
Seriously, I don't see this idea lifting of the ground, He/she will not be able to get enough passengers, If it was from LGW and had more destinations, mabey, but these days , everthing's about profit.

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

toltommy

Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:34 pm

Fly First Class, a Florida-based company are planning to launch five-day-a-week flights between Bermuda and London as early as next January.

If they are Florida-based, they'd be a US flag carrier, correct? If so, how would they be able to fly between 2 non-US points? Especially under Bermuda 2?

Kahala777

Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:23 am

Great!

Finally the people from both England and Bermuda are free from the dwindling service standards of British Airways!

KAHALA777