EI747SYDNEY
Topic Author

Ryanair EI-CJC

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:20 am

Hi all,

Has anyone any background on EI-CJC? From what I have heard this aircraft has a very low service ceiling because it could break apart if it went any higher. Is this true or not?

Rob
''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

vs773er

RE: Ryanair EI-CJC

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:46 am

I really can't see that being true, surly if the airframe was that vunerable it wouldn't be in service at all!? I found on google it is mean to be retired around now anyhoo.
Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations...

mika

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:58 am

Sounds like someone got something very wrong, with other words that statement is complete bogus.

gkirk

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:27 am

Heard rumours that it was restricted to below FL190 due to the number of "skin" patches it has had, but not sure if its true.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

aerlingus330

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:32 am

It sounds very unlikely that this is true...atleast I hope its not. I always thought if any problem which restricted the aircraft from performing correctly, it had to be fixed and the aircraft grounded in definitely.

AerLingus330
Aer Lingus Airbus A330-300

EI747SYDNEY
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:32 am

Guy's Believe me I'm glad to hear this....

Rob
''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

wrighbrothers

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:35 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
Heard rumours that it was restricted to below FL190 due to the number of "skin" patches it has had

Yes, that's true, if it goes above a certain hight, the patches will start to peel off.

Quoting Aerlingus330 (Reply 4):
It sounds very unlikely that this is true.

This is FR we're talking about here  Wink

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

PMN

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:40 am

There was a thread on here a good few months ago where someone mentioned an altitude restriction on CJC, (it was only a couple of days after I flew to DUB and back on the big yelow bird!) The general feeling was that such restrictions were nonsense, and the aircraft wouldn't be in service at all if the airframe couldn't be trusted at altitude.

Maybe there are some FR maintenance people on here who can elaborate?

Paul
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song

wrighbrothers

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:43 am

Quoting PMN (Reply 7):

I don't think FR does its own maintenance, It's contracted out to a 3rd party

Wrighbrothers

gkirk

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:44 am

Quoting PMN (Reply 7):

Doubtful, O'Leary probably bans them from using the Internet  Wink
Anyway, I also doubted the truth of the rumour, of course, on Ireland-UK runs you wouldn't need to get above FL190 much anyway.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

aerlingus330

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:44 am

Quoting PMN (Reply 7):

If it were true, wouldnt Ryanair keep it a secret?

AerLingus330
Aer Lingus Airbus A330-300

jetset7e7

Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:25 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ian Howat

A close up on this photo you can see all the dents that have been filled in etc

Hasn't FR got a maintenance hangar at Prestwick? Some maintenance work is done at Southend for FR

Quoting EI747SYDNEY (Thread starter):
Has anyone any background on EI-CJC? From what I have heard this aircraft has a very low service ceiling because it could break apart if it went any higher. Is this true or not?

If this was true I don't think it would be in service, even though it is due to be retired anytime soon, and I don't think the IAA would approve it as 'OK to fly upto FL190'

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

Airplanepics

Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:29 am

It's true. Most of their 737-200's have altitude restrictions.

I know for a fact that EI-CJC and CJI are not certified to fly over FL190, due to the number of repairs the aircraft has had to it's skin.

The plane is still safe, don't get me wrong.

Quoting Jetset7E7 (Reply 11):
Hasn't FR got a maintenance hangar at Prestwick? Some maintenance work is done at Southend for FR

As Far as I know, Southend doesn't mantain FR's aircraft anymore.

Cheers,
Simon.

[Edited 2005-11-01 23:37:24]
Simon - London-Aviation.com

EI321

Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:36 am

Quoting Airplanepics (Reply 12):
I know for a fact that EI-CJC and CJI are not certified to fly over FL190, due to the number of repairs the aircraft has been done.

That is indeed through, limited to 19000ft.

jetset7e7

Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:46 am

EI-CJI no longer in service?

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

Airplanepics

Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:48 am

Quoting Jetset7E7 (Reply 14):
EI-CJI no longer in service?

Now flying for European Air Charter as G-FIGP.

wrighbrothers

Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:49 am

When is the last FR 732 due to be retired ?

Cheers
Wrighbrothers

EI747SYDNEY
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:57 pm

Dear Jesus.....

Rob

PMN

Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:58 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 13):
That is indeed through, limited to 19000ft.

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong on this, but I find it impossible to believe that commercial aircraft (FR or otherwise) would be allowed to fly if there were worries the thing might start falling apart above a certain altitude.

Can anyone who claims height restrictions are actually in place please state how they came by their knowledge? I've heard many rumors regarding altitude restrictions, but so far no-one has given any specific technical details as to EXACTLY what would happen if the aircraft were to exceed FL190, or indeed who informed them of such restrictions.

Airplanepics and EI321, where did you hear some of the 732's have height restrictions?

Like I say, I haven't ruled out the possibility I may be wrong on this, I'm just not convinced yet!

Paul
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song

WAH64D

Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:47 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
Heard rumours that it was restricted to below FL190 due to the number of "skin" patches it has had, but not sure if its true.

Its definitely true. They can amend the airworthiness certificate to a maximum allowed altitude lower than the design altitude. All of FRs 732s had this restriction in place although most of them were certified to higher than FL190.

[Edited 2005-11-02 13:48:11]
I AM the No-spotalotacus.

mhodgson

Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:02 pm

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 16):
When is the last FR 732 due to be retired ?

This week I think. Their last use on the BLK-DUB route is Friday, though they may last longer elsewhere.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

EI747SYDNEY
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:24 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 20):
This week I think. Their last use on the BLK-DUB route is Friday, though they may last longer elsewhere.

I'll have to get out to DUB between now and friday with the camcorder.

Rob

PMN

Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:34 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 20):
This week I think.

Bugger...So my FR fright to DUB from LBA next Tuesday looks like it might be a 738? (I haven't been on the 738 yet, but they're not going to be extinct in the near future!)

Paul

EI747SYDNEY
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:05 am

Quoting PMN (Reply 22):
Bugger...So my FR fright to DUB from LBA next Tuesday looks like it might be a 738? (I haven't been on the 738 yet, but they're not going to be extinct in the near future!)

Certainly does. Hard Luck Mate

Rob

Airplanepics

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:27 am

Quoting PMN (Reply 18):
Can anyone who claims height restrictions are actually in place please state how they came by their knowledge?

I worked on them.  Wink

PMN

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:32 am

Quoting Airplanepics (Reply 24):
I worked on them.

Did you work maintaining them? What problems would occur if the aircraft were to exceed FL190? I just can't grasp the concept of an airliner being 'half repaired' and still flying, albeit with altitude restrictions! PLEASE could someone explain this to me so it makes sense, it's puzzling the hell out of me!

Paul

Airplanepics

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:38 am

Quoting PMN (Reply 25):
Did you work maintaining them? What problems would occur if the aircraft were to exceed FL190? I just can't grasp the concept of an airliner being 'half repaired' and still flying, albeit with altitude restrictions! PLEASE could someone explain this to me so it makes sense, it's puzzling the hell out of me!

Yes, when they were in for mantainance once, I helped to give them a check. The aircraft are not 'half repaired' at all. As the aircraft has had lots of Skin repairs, you need to have a altitude restriction placed on the frame. I presume if you went over that altitude the repairs would start to fail.

It's more common than you think.

PMN

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:58 am

Quoting Airplanepics (Reply 26):
The aircraft are not 'half repaired' at all.

Hmm...

If you've worked on aircraft that have altitude restrictions, fair enough. I'm not doubting what you're saying, I'd just like a little more in depth explanation of exactly what kind of repairs have been carried out, how the repairs are tested, and how FL190 is ascertained as being a safe altitude for the aircraft to fly. I'm especially curious to know what kind of testing is done after skin repairs. Is the aircraft pressurised on the ground? How does it work?

I usually have no worries regarding aircraft maintenance whatsoever, although it has to be said, if I knew an aircraft I were flying on had an altitude restriction not too far off half it's maximum cruising altitude, it might be on my mind! I've done 6 732 flights. I've enjoyed all of them and never had a reason to question the airworthiness of the aircraft, but I'd like a little more knowledge on this one!

Paul

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos