aerokiwi

Potential Jetstar Expansion?

Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:57 am

I'm just curious if there's likely to be any expansion of Jetstar services into Perth or elsewhere over the next 6 months, or ever.

Does anyone have the inside digs on it?

6thfreedom

RE: Potential Jetstar Expansion?

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:17 pm

I was under the impression that JQ was going to announce Avalon-Perth services shortly.

Stay tuned...

aerokiwi

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:22 pm

Thanks 6thFreedom that's exactly what I was hoping to hear  Smile

Need to find a cheapy way between Perth and Melbourne next March and am not too keen to wait till the specials due to the Commonwealth Games.

Ta. I'll keep my ear to the ground on this one

IndianicWorld

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:29 pm

AVV needs more services... sounds good.

Would a AVV-CNS flight be possible for the future, or a flight to DRW?

Maybe a HBA-AVV-PER, HBA-AVV-DRW and HBA-AVV-CNS type route, with flights to HBA from AVV (which was an idea floated a while ago).

6thfreedom

Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:36 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 3):
AVV needs more services... sounds good.

Would a AVV-CNS flight be possible for the future, or a flight to DRW?

Maybe a HBA-AVV-PER, HBA-AVV-DRW and HBA-AVV-CNS type route, with flights to HBA from AVV (which was an idea floated a while ago).

From an airport cost perspective AVV makes sense, but there isn't enough of a market for HBA or CNS.

By keeping all its 'connecting' services at MEL, JQ is able to offer customers an easy transfer option for such connections.

IndianicWorld

Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:50 pm

cool.. just an idea...

i thought so also but they seem to want to grow AVV to over 1 million, and i cant see this happenning with existing destinations.

any ideas of viable future routes from AVV?

oly720man

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:25 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...05/11/11/1131578240548.html?page=6

They are looking far afield....... perhaps.

"It is speculated the airline will start operating into destinations within 10 hours (one sector) of Australia, such as South Korea, Vietnam and south China. When it builds up enough critical mass the airline will then look to destinations further afield that require two sectors of flight.

Dixon says the airline will be allowed to fly to "any route that the Government has rights for". These could range from destinations as far afield as Manchester, Prague, Buenos Aires, Ho Chi Minh City and the US West Coast.

"There's nothing off the table, but obviously economics will take some off the table," Dixon says. Still, the new airline is expected to open up many routes previously considered uneconomic by Qantas.

The airline's much lower cost base could be partly achieved through Jetstar's long-haul pilots and cabin crew being paid less on an hourly basis and more seats being crammed on each plane. For instance, Qantas fitted 10 extra seats on its Boeing 717s for the launch of Jetstar domestic in May 2004."
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

jasond

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:27 pm

Quoting Aerokiwi (Thread starter):
I'm just curious if there's likely to be any expansion of Jetstar services into Perth or elsewhere over the next 6 months, or ever.

Not while QF load factors are so high they won't. Am happy to engage in a healthy debate about airline economics.