vs773er

Taking Off From St Maarten?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:21 pm

Saw this image;

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stuart Rodgers

...and just wanted to hear from anyone who has experienced a take off in a heavy from St Maarten, the runway looks tight - or at least short enough to require a fast take off roll, must be quite exhilarating?
What other runways compare to this other than the legendary Kai Tak?

Cheers in advance.
Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations...

miamiair

RE: Taking Off From St Maarten?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:23 pm

It is not that bad. Just a terrain avoidance turn. Remember there is usually a breeze and the temperature has cooled a bit.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

lexer

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:39 pm

Take-offs are pretty straightforward, heavy or not.

I had the pleasure of taking off in a cockpit seat once from SXM (in an MD80) but that was in the opposite direction from the picture above. The pilot (my uncle) explained that landing in SXM was actually a bit harder for smaller planes than it is for heavies because of the difference in braking power.

Oh yeah, he laughed at French pilots who had a reputation for coming in too low at SXM according to him. Mind you, I did see many photos of KLM planes coming in really rather low there too.

MarshalN

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:29 am

Well, lots of runways in the world end up in the sea.... so it's not that big a problem, I suppose.

I do wonder on a tangent -- are winds mostly in the same direction? I mean, if I go to SXM to spot -- is there a chance that landing will take place on the other side, i.e. not over Maho Beach?

ahlfors

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:49 am

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 3):
I do wonder on a tangent -- are winds mostly in the same direction? I mean, if I go to SXM to spot -- is there a chance that landing will take place on the other side, i.e. not over Maho Beach?

The winds are mostly in the same direction (tradewinds) and in the rare event that the wind blows from the opposite direction, some of the propeller aircraft can land in the opposite direction, but due to terrain, heavies have to either land with a tail-wind or divert... there simply isn't enough manouvering room to bring in a heavy in the opposite direction.

LordHowe

Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:22 am

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 3):
Well, lots of runways in the world end up in the sea

Well, this runway begins from the sea and end up in a mountain - the picture above (taken from the mountain) gives a little wrong idea of it.

Regards,
LordHowe
Lord Howe Island - The Last Paradise