RayChuang
Topic Author

CDG Terminal 2E Reopening Date?

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:25 am

After watching History Channel's Modern Marvels program last night talking about the collapse of CDG Terminal 2E, one thing the program mentioned was the rebuilding of all of Terminal 2E, which we discussed here on Airliners.net back in March 2005.

Has Aeroport de Paris make an announcement on when will they finish the reconstruction? My guess is that they'll probably try to get it done in time for the arrival of the A380-800 in AF service, probably late 2007 to early 2008.

Boogyjay

RE: CDG Terminal 2E Reopening Date?

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:41 am

You're right.

ADP (Aeroports de Paris) will destroy the Terminal (the part on the apron side, where the boarding waiting lounges are) and rebuild the vault.

Reopening is scheduled for the Winter 2007-2008.

As for the A380, I don't know if 2E has 80x80m gates, though I'd guess it has, as it's a quite new terminal (they must have thought about future growth). A new Terminal is being built especially for the A380 (5 gates?) at the end of T2, between 2E and 2F.

TaromA380

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:23 am

Why waiting so long for rebuilding the 2E ?

RayChuang
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:58 pm

Quoting BoogyJay (Reply 1):
ADP (Aeroports de Paris) will destroy the Terminal (the part on the apron side, where the boarding waiting lounges are) and rebuild the vault.

Has ADP mentioned what kind of structure will replace the faulty arched roof design or shown drawings of what they will build?

Boogyjay

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:49 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 3):
Has ADP mentioned what kind of structure will replace the faulty arched roof design or shown drawings of what they will build?

I've found an article in English about that. Some key points:

• The entire roof is to be demolished and rebuilt
  • They will keep the lower parts which are OK.
  • Re-opening in Winter '07-08.
  • "There was one single criterion: the safety of staff and passengers. Several so-called repair solutions were studied but we threw them out because they did not offer a total and unambiguous guarantee in the matter of safety"
  • That's the most expensive and longest solution (from a French article ).
  • Structural weaknesses caused the roof to collapse.
  • "the concrete suffered from "insufficient or badly positioned reinforcement," and that there was a lack of "redundancy" -- in other words the possibility of transferring stress to other parts of the structure."
  • An ADP spokesman Thursday denied suggestions that the two-and-a-half year delay before the original departure area is functioning again would effect the introduction of the Airbus A380 superjumbo, for which the terminal was conceived.
    "There is plenty of other space for the superjumbo at Charles de Gaulle," he said.

This last bit about the A380 is new to me. I didn't know that.

As for your question about the structure, it says that they will do studies. I'm not sure they will keep the same structure. I remember having read somewhere that they considered keeping the shape of the terminal but build the structure from metal instead of concrete, for it to be lighter. I don'tknow what the final solution is going to be.