Topic Author

Naming An Airline, How To Do It?

Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:55 am

Hey guys!

Well, some days ago I was thinking about bringing back VIASA to life... One of my dreams is to have my own airline, and I have some doubts about naming it.

The biggest question I have is concerned about repeating the name of a dead airline, for example: What if I wanted to start up a new airline called Eastern, Viasa, Pan Am, Sabena, etc?

If I do name my airline with one of these names, will I have deal against copyright laws or any kind of problems?.

Another possible example: Air Venezuela was, many years ago, a very small and insignificant airline which is already dead. What if I chose their name?

Ok guys, thanks for that!

Saludos!
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

USADreamliner

RE: Naming An Airline, How To Do It?

Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:59 am

Maybe you can call it just "Venezolana Internacional".

USADreamliner

boeingbus

Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting USADreamliner (Reply 1):
Maybe you can call it just "Venezolana Internacional".

I was thinking more in the lines of "Chavez Express" serving Cuba, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay...
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

backfire

Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:03 am

Quoting 797 (Thread starter):
If I do name my airline with one of these names, will I have deal against copyright laws or any kind of problems?.

If there was any chance of confusion, you would have to obtain the rights to the name from their current owner. When the original "German Wings" collapsed, Lufthansa bought the name and then used it for the current budget airline of the same title.

FlyBE used to be "British European" but wasn't allowed to call itself "British European Airways" because it was unable to obtain the rights from the owner of the original BEA brand.

Both of these involved airlines starting up in the same market as their predecessor. I'm not certain where the law stands on carriers with similar names starting up in separate countries.

[Edited 2005-11-04 19:06:55]

Eirjet

Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:16 am

How about Air Perella ????

A guy by the name of Tony RYAN set up an airline a number of years ago in Ireland, He was keen to have a major influence on the airline title.

I believe it services the Low cost market - The name escapes me  Big grin
Aviation has a 100% record, we've never left one up there......

Topic Author

Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:54 pm

Quoting Eirjet (Reply 4):
How about Air Perella ????

LOL

I was thinking about a flagship-airline or something like that! That's why Air Venezuela's so important...

Regards!
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

Mexicana757

Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:09 pm

Quoting 797 (Reply 5):

How about AeroVenezuela, instead of Air Venezuela, or Venair.  thumbsup  silly