A388
Topic Author

Top 10 Caribbean Airports?

Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:46 pm

Hi everybody,

I was reading a thread about BGI and was thinking of the top 10 list of Caribbean airports. When looking at the number of flights (aircraft movements/frequencies) operated to the airport how would the top 10 list look like?

Here's my summary:

1. San Juan (SJU)
2. Santo Domingo (SDQ)
3. Montego Bay (MBJ)
4. Kingston (KIN)
5. Barbados (BGI)
6. St. Martin (SXM)
7. Aruba (AUA)
8. Port of Spain (POS)
9. Georgetown (GCM)
10. Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP)

My list is only based on photos I've seen on internet and my general experience over the years and doesn't include the number of passengers handled at each of these airports. In my opinion some of these airports come pretty close to each other, such as Santo Domingo (SDQ), MBJ/KIN and SXM/AUA. Also, as far as I know GCM has more airlines flying there, but POS has its own airline (BW) which gives them a higher ranking compared to GCM. The same goes for PTP which has its own airline that gives them a place in the top 10 list as well. Don't flame me if I'm totally wrong here. That's why I'm asking your opinions on this particular topic.

What's your top 10 Caribbean list? Any feedback is appreciated 

Best regards,

A388

[Edited 2005-11-06 05:48:16]

[Edited 2005-11-06 05:53:43]

[Edited 2005-11-06 06:02:06]

Islandboy

RE: Top 10 Caribbean Airports?

Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:59 pm

A) GCM has its own airline as well...

If including the Bahamas and Bermuda considering they are classified as Caribbean..I would say.

1. SJU
2. NAS
3. MBJ
3. SDQ
4. GCM
5. POS
6. KIN
7. AUA
8. BGI
9. SXM
10. BDA
Looks like the fresh wind has gone stale

A388
Topic Author

Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:08 pm

Thanks for the reaction Islandboy. I know the Bahamas and Bermuda are also in the Caribbean but I wouldn't have thaught they have so much flights according to your list. Interesting Big grin I was hesitating between MBJ and SDQ but yes, MBJ might as well have more flights than SDQ. Does POS have more flights than SXM? POS has its own airline but other than that there are not that much other airlines/flights to POS. But as I said, interesting to read... Big grin

A388

flypdx

Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:09 pm

Yeah, I was going to say. NAS was jumping when we flew out of there last year. They had service from AA, AA Eagle, Delta, DL Connection, CO, CO Express, NW, US, B6, BA, Bahamas Air, and Song. (I hope I got them all!) I know that Delta has a pretty big operation there, and AA/Eagle have quite a few flights as well!

Islandboy

Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:26 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 2):
Thanks for the reaction Islandboy. I know the Bahamas and Bermuda are also in the Caribbean but I wouldn't have thaught they have so much flights according to your list. Interesting I was hesitating between MBJ and SDQ but yes, MBJ might as well have more flights than SDQ. Does POS have more flights than SXM? POS has its own airline but other than that there are not that much other airlines/flights to POS. But as I said, interesting to read...

Actually SXM might possibly have more flights than POS with all the island hopping that goes on with Liat and Carribean Star. My mistake. MBJ does indeed have more traffic than SDQ. The Bahamas gets a lot of flights because of it's location. Airlines can run double daily..

Quoting Flypdx (Reply 3):
Yeah, I was going to say. NAS was jumping when we flew out of there last year. They had service from AA, AA Eagle, Delta, DL Connection, CO, CO Express, NW, US, B6, BA, Bahamas Air, and Song. (I hope I got them all!) I know that Delta has a pretty big operation there, and AA/Eagle have quite a few flights as well!

The list is almost accurate. You left out Cubana and Air Jamaica...as well as NK, AC, Skyservice, TS, VS and UA will be joining in Dec. Eagle dominates the Florida-->Bahamas corridor with 10x MIA--3/4x FLL--x TPA-- x MCO

bigdrewfl

Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:31 pm

Someone forgot to mention Punta Cana (PUJ) Dominican Republic lots of Charter and international flights in and out of there.

A388
Topic Author

Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:52 pm

Quoting Bigdrewfl (Reply 5):
Someone forgot to mention Punta Cana (PUJ) Dominican Republic lots of Charter and international flights in and out of there.

I thaught about PUJ, buy didn't include them in the top 10 list. I see PUJ more as charter destination with varying flights which can make PUJ a difficult airport to rank. Which airlines fly to PUJ and what are the frequencies?

A388

optionscle

Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:10 pm

To PUJ from the USA:

AA flies scheduled from MIA and SJU.
CO from EWR and IAH.
DL from ATL.
NW from MSP.
UA from IAD.
US from CLT, PHL.
U5 scheduled charters from CLE, EWR, ORD, PHL among others.

AF flies scheduled service from CDG I believe.

letsgetwet

Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:44 pm

Bermuda and Bahamas are not in the Caribbean.

ERJ170

Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:51 pm

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 8):

I think Bahamas is considered Caribbean, but Bermuda is definitely not.
Aiming High and going far..

letsgetwet

Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:01 pm

The Bahama Islands are technically not in the Caribbean Sea. But CUN is.

Islandboy

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:17 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 10):
The Bahama Islands are technically not in the Caribbean Sea. But CUN is.

The Bermuda and the Bahamas are not located in the Caribbean Sea but are classified and labelled as such because of diplomatic ties. CUN is not Caribbean no matter where it lies..it is part of Mexico and therefore Latin America.

AA767400

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:00 am

Quoting Islandboy (Reply 11):
The Bermuda and the Bahamas are not located in the Caribbean Sea but are classified and labelled as such because of diplomatic ties. CUN is not Caribbean no matter where it lies..it is part of Mexico and therefore Latin America.

Agreed. Always has been.

As far as Cuba,Dominican Republic,Puerto Rico, and many current/former French islands can also be considered Latin America.

I would say that SJU, and MBJ, have the busiest stations in the Caribbean.
"The low fares airline."

letsgetwet

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:02 am

The title of the thread is "Caribbean Airports". If the airport is NOT in the Caribbean it doesn't belong in this discussion. CUN is IN the Caribbean as much as CZM is. How about the Bay islands off Honduras and Belize? They're not either? This has nothing to do with "political ties" , it has to do with GEOGRAPHY.

A388
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:07 am

I'll be more specific. My top 10 list is for airports in the Caribbean Sea. Maybe this clears the thread/posts a bit more.

Thank you so far for all the replies. Keep them coming Big grin

A388

AA767400

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 13):
The title of the thread is "Caribbean Airports". If the airport is NOT in the Caribbean it doesn't belong in this discussion. CUN is IN the Caribbean as much as CZM is. How about the Bay islands off Honduras and Belize? They're not either? This has nothing to do with "political ties" , it has to do with GEOGRAPHY.

You are the one that brought in CUN, and now CZM.  sarcastic 

And yes, the Bay lslands off Honduras are IN the Caribbean.
"The low fares airline."

letsgetwet

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:42 am

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 15):
You are the one that brought in CUN, and now CZM.

And yes, the Bay lslands off Honduras are IN the Caribbean.

This precisely my point. If the Bay Islands are in the Caribbean, than so is CZM. And CUN is ON the Caribbean. But Bermuda and Bahamas are neither IN or ON the Caribbean.
If you go to a travel agent and ask him to book you a Caribbean Vacation he is not going to send you to Bermuda or Bahamas.

captaink

Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:06 am

Depends on how you look at it though. Politically speaking, the Bahamas is Caribbean. Geographically speak they are not. But in this case we are talking about the busy caribbean airports then I think we can consider the bahamas. They are part of CARICOM.

The airports that I know are really busy in the region are, MBJ, BGI, SXM, POS, SDQ, NAS, SJU, AUA. NAS is really busy not so much in variety, but the fact that some airlines have a number of flights a day, US for example up to 4 a day. American Eagle every hour. BGI has the variety especially when the charters come in. POS is extremely busy with BW. But they have others like AA, CO etc. They have 14 jetways that are used in the airport. (Not many islands have jetways) GCM is busy, and really so is PLS they get alot of movement from the US and Europe. Then islands like UVF and ANU can be considered they get quite a variety of airlines as well.
There is something special about planes....

iluv747400

Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:09 am

How about Havana? It must have a fair amount of traffic.

captaink

Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:14 am

I would imagine that HAV has its fair share. I have seen pics from the airport. But i am rather ashamed to say that I know nothing about Havana even though I am from the caribbean...

Neo

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:42 am

This is nonsense, of course the Bahamas and Bermuda are part of the Caribbean, even though they are not located in the Caribbean sea. Let's clear something here, the Caribbean is one thing, the Caribbean sea is another.

Just take a look at the map below:

http://www.globaldialysis.com/caribbean.asp

In the other hand, CUN is located on the coast of the Caribbean Sea, but it is not considered part of the Caribbean region.

Hope this clear things out!

Rgs,

Neo

[Edited 2005-11-06 19:45:15]

[Edited 2005-11-06 19:45:56]

AA767400

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:00 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 16):
If you go to a travel agent and ask him to book you a Caribbean Vacation he is not going to send you to Bermuda or Bahamas.

He will book you to the Bahamas, but not Bermuda. All in all, they both go with the Caribbean region in many terms. Just like Guyana is very much a big part of Caribbean culture, with very strong ties to Many former/current British islands. Geographically they are part of South America. Geographically Bermuda is not part of any land mass, but is tied with the Caribbean due to many years of close ties with that region from day one.

And yes, CUN, and CZM, are IN the Caribbean.

Quoting Iluv747400 (Reply 18):
How about Havana? It must have a fair amount of traffic

HAV, is pretty much a sleeping giant. It does not have a large amount of traffic, with the bulk of it coming from many charter flights. Even regular services are limited. CM,CU,MX,JM,AC, and others have a good amount of services, but in the general picture of the Caribbean, it lags behind.
"The low fares airline."

A342

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:39 am

You might argue if MIA could be considered Caribbean, and for that matter, other Florida airports.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

captaink

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:46 am

Guyana is also part of CARICOM, the entity that somewhat unifies the goverments in the caribbean region, in terms trade etc. The Bahamas is too. Bermuda is not, neither is it in the Caribbean Sea. I don't think there are any factors that make Bermuda a caribbean island in whatever way you look at it.. It is an independent island, in the atlantic ocean that is part of the british commonwealth. That is pretty much it.

PRAirbus

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:03 am

In terms of size (over 40 jet-bridges), traffic (paxs' scheduled and cargo) plus 2 runways, SJU is by far the busiest and largest in the Caribbean. Keep in mind AA and American Eagle run a vast operation there. SJU is getting another expansion w/a new terminal (Terminal A) including addt'l jetways. AA/Am. Eagle fly over 125 daily flights in SJU. AA covers around 13 nonstop US cities from SJU and a few Caribbean cities (STT/SXM/ANU/AUA/SDQ) and CCS. American Eagle flies to many other Caribbean destinations.

MAH4546

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:08 am

Quoting OptionsCLE (Reply 7):
AA flies scheduled from MIA and SJU
CO from EWR and IAH.
DL from ATL.
NW from MSP.
UA from IAD.
US from CLT, PHL.
U5 scheduled charters from CLE, EWR, ORD, PHL among others

AA also flies JFK-PUJ, while UA has flown ORD-PUJ before IAD-PUJ, which just launches this month (or next?). Also, U5 flights are not scheduled charters, they are scheduled flights, and Spirit launches FLL-PUJ next month. In addition, LANChile flies MIA-PUJ. As recently as 2000, LANChile was the only airline offering scheduled US-Punta Cana service.

Quoting A342 (Reply 22):
You might argue if MIA could be considered Caribbean, and for that matter, other Florida airports.

Not really, since none of Florida outside of the Keys actually touches the Caribbean.
a.

captaink

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:22 am

Well SJU def. is the biggest of the airports in the caribbean regioin. SJU is actually an AA hub if i am not mistaken. Can't really beat that.

This site has list of the countries that are considered part of the caribbean...And as we can well see it is not limited to countries that are in the caribbean sea. If you really want to get technical, Barbados is entirely in the atlantic ocean. Who would argue that it is not part of the caribbean...

Caribbean Countries

trintocan

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:34 am

I would be tempted to go with IslandBoy's list of the Top 10 as probably being correct although BGI is above POS in terms of flights because of the many UK/EU charters and inter-island flights. That said, POS remains a strong contender because it has more cargo flights than most of the other islands in the entire region (except SJU for sure, probably KIN and SDQ, maybe 1 or 2 others but no more). Trinidad's oil industry and the many heavy industries mean that the AN124 comes around every so often! In addition the domestic services to TAB (the busiest route in the region) adds considerably to the traffic.

BTW, The Bahamas and Bermuda (plus Turks and Caicos) should be considered part of the Caribbean as geopolitically they are part of it. In days gone by the term "West Indies" tended to be used more frequently and that term easily encompassed those islands despite the fact they are not washed by the Caribbean Sea. Nowadays "West Indies" tends to refer only to the cricket team and the University.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

DarthRandall

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:56 am

With the growing popularity of the Virgin Islands, I would imagine STT may be climbing it's way up onto the list.
Ninjas can kill anyone they want! Ninjas cut off heads all the time and don't even think twice about it.

Halophila

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:59 am

Quoting Neo (Reply 20):
This is nonsense, of course the Bahamas and Bermuda are part of the Caribbean, even though they are not located in the Caribbean sea

That map is very misleading for BDA. Bermuda is a long, long way north of anwhere near the Caribbean (including Bahamas) - it's only a 1.5 hr flight SE from JFK, and lies right in the middle of the gulf stream (hence tropical climate). Bermudians do not consider themselves west indian, at least not those I have met.

Having said that, BDA is a beautiful airport, one of the best I've seen for such a small place, and really nice spotting opportunities for what few flights come in and out every day!
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

letsgetwet

Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:53 am

Quoting A342 (Reply 22):

There is no part of Florida that is in or on the Caribbean Sea. Florida is surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico, the Straights of Florida and the Atlantic Ocean. The Caribbean Islands are the Greater and Lesser Antilles, Leeward and Windward Islands in the Caribbean Sea. The Bahama Islands and Bermuda are in the Atlantic Ocean.

manu

Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:47 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 8):

Quoting A388 (Reply 14):
My top 10 list is for airports in the Caribbean Sea

Just to add to the confusion, almost all of the island you've listed have one shore in the Atlantic, and another in the Caribbean sea. I've worked for the Gov't of a few islands and had to generate official maps for international use, thus have had to label them accurately. The general rule is that eastern-most islands are the divider between Caribbean sea and Atlantic....

letsgetwet

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:33 pm

Quoting Manu (Reply 31):
Just to add to the confusion, almost all of the island you've listed have one shore in the Atlantic, and another in the Caribbean sea. I've worked for the Gov't of a few islands and had to generate official maps for international use, thus have had to label them accurately. The general rule is that eastern-most islands are the divider between Caribbean sea and Atlantic....

I agree. Basically, the division between the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean is the Yucatan Channel. Off the top off my head the Islands in the Caribbean include Cuba,Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Haiti/Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, British Virgin Islands,US Virgin Islands, Anguilla, Barbuda, Antigua, Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique, St. Lucia,St. Vincent, Barbados, Granada, Trinidad & Tobago,St, Croix ,St. Martin, Saba, St. Eustatius, St, Kitts , Nevis, Montserrat. Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, the Venezualan Islands Isla de Margari and la Tortuga,the Bay Islands of Honduras, Isla Cozumel and Isla Mujeres (Mex) and the islands off Belize . I probably missed some.

A388
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:36 pm

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 32):
Off the top off my head the Islands in the Caribbean include Cuba,Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Haiti/Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, British Virgin Islands,US Virgin Islands, Anguilla, Barbuda, Antigua, Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique, St. Lucia,St. Vincent, Barbados, Granada, Trinidad & Tobago,St, Croix ,St. Martin, Saba, St. Eustatius, St, Kitts , Nevis, Montserrat. Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, the Venezualan Islands Isla de Margari

These are the islands I'm referring to, the islands that are actually located in the Caribbean Sea and not the Gulf of Mexico or that area. To make it clear again, the above mentioned area is the area I'm referring to. I'm talking about the top 10 list of geographically located islands (and their airports) in the Caribbean Sea, not politically speaking. My apologies for the confusion. So let's drop the political part and focus on the area I've just mentioned.

Best regards,

A388

Islandboy

Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:10 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 33):
I'm talking about the top 10 list of geographically located islands (and their airports) in the Caribbean Sea, not politically speaking

Therefore..you phrased your question wrong. You asked for the "Top 10 busiest Caribbean destinations". I supplied what i believed IMO to be it. You didn't ask for the Top 10, Geographically.

The title of the thread is "Caribbean Airports". If the airport is NOT in the Caribbean it doesn't belong in this discussion

The title cannot be left so loosely as conflict will occur. Until A388 corrected his-self on what specification of Caribbean he meant, most answer's in this thread were correct.

Quoting Neo (Reply 20):
This is nonsense, of course the Bahamas and Bermuda are part of the Caribbean, even though they are not located in the Caribbean sea. Let's clear something here, the Caribbean is one thing, the Caribbean sea is another.

Precisely.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 17):
NAS is really busy not so much in variety, but the fact that some airlines have a number of flights a day, US for example up to 4 a day. American Eagle every hour.

US has 6/7 daily flights. 2x PHL - 2x CLT x DCA - x LGA - BOS SaSu...By Variety i assume you mean charters.

A388
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:00 pm

I know the Bahamas and Bermuda are included in the Caribbean, but as I thaught traffic to these islands wasn't that high as it appears now, I didn't include them in the top 10 list. That's why I mentioned this in my post. So for the people here who think I'm confusion others here, that was not the intention, I was asking for a top 10 list and not a political list of which islands belong to the Caribbean or not. I'm from the Caribbean, I know which islands belong there. Let's not stray off too much here. Thank you for the replies so far.

A388

letsgetwet

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:30 pm

Islandboy. I can't believe that you live in the Bahamas, and you don't understand that you DO NOT LIVE IN THE CARIBBEAN !! I'm going to say it one more time. THE BAHAMAS ARE NOT IN THE CARIBBEAN !! and NEITHER IS BERMUDA OR FLORIDA !!! Get yourself an Atlas and look at it. Or go to a book store and get yourself a travel guide. You will find books with titles such as "The Caribbean and Bahama Islands". Anyone who knows Geography will NOT presume that just because they are all islands they are all in the Caribbean .

Islandboy

Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:14 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 36):
Islandboy. I can't believe that you live in the Bahamas, and you don't understand that you DO NOT LIVE IN THE CARIBBEAN !! I'm going to say it one more time. THE BAHAMAS ARE NOT IN THE CARIBBEAN !! and NEITHER IS BERMUDA OR FLORIDA !!! Get yourself an Atlas and look at it. Or go to a book store and get yourself a travel guide. You will find books with titles such as "The Caribbean and Bahama Islands". Anyone who knows Geography will NOT presume that just because they are all islands they are all in the Caribbean .

This has to be the most dumbest context of something I've ever seen. Realise this...every Caribbean Government recognizes The Bahamas as being in the Caribbean. Who-ever said that Florida was in the Caribbean? Guyana isn't in the Caribbean either...but guess what..It's the head quarters of Caricom. I suggest since you don't live in the Caribbean and was not taught history and such. You refrain from 1) Typing in Caps. 2) Babbling the same nonsense over and over. You simply refuse to accept what history and every other Government do.

Xkorpyoh

Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:48 am

Quoting MAh4546 (Reply 25):

AA also flies JFK-PUJ, while UA has flown ORD-PUJ before IAD-PUJ, which just launches this month (or next?). Also, U5 flights are not scheduled charters, they are scheduled flights, and Spirit launches FLL-PUJ next month. In addition, LANChile flies MIA-PUJ. As recently as 2000, LANChile was the only airline offering scheduled US-Punta Cana service.

PUJ is the busiest airport in Hispaniola nowadays. There are tons of charters to FRANCE, GERMANY, ITALY, SPAIN, U.K., NETHERLANDS, AUSTRIA, all widebody planes.
Charters also go to Puerto Plata and La Romana

letsgetwet

Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:28 am

CARICOM is an international organization, not a geographical place. Just as NATO or the OAS.

Bermuda is an island 580 miles east of North Carolina in the Atlantic Ocean and is a part of the United Kingdom. It does not belong to CARICOM and is no more a part of the Caribbean than the Falkland Islands.

The Common Wealth of the Bahamas lie east of Florida in the Atlantic Ocean. They do belong to CARICOM , but as you said yourself, being geographically located in the Caribbean, is not a prerequisite to membership. Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire and the Cayman Islands are definitely in the Caribbean, but do not belong to CARICOM.

captaink

Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:45 am

Letsgetwet, geografical position is not the only factor to be considered when talking about who is in/part of the caribbean or not. (Why is alaska an american state and not a canadian province? If geographical position is the only consideration?) As said geografically, the bahamas is not in the caribbean sea or even near to the caribbean sea, but it is by all means considered part of the caribbean. Of course florida isn't it is a state of the US. Of course Quintana Roo isn't it is a state of Mexico but all means it is well immersed into the caribbean sea.

Political factors have to be considered. And yes I mean CARICOM. (Caribbean Community).

The goverments of the caribbean are working on the CSME (Caribbean Single Market and Economy) and yes the Bahamas is part of the deal.

This is how i would sum it all up. The Bahamas is not geographically in or near the caribbean sea, but politically speaking it is part and parcel of the Caribbean. It is a group of Caribbean Islands.

Yes, IslandBoy, I am thinking of the charters. I don't too many in NAS, but then I am not too they don't come at all. As regards to US flights, other than SJU, I think NAS has it. They pretty much get served by almost all US carriers, including the likes of JetBlue, and Song (whom i hear is leaving NAS). American Eagle has the most flights day to the US, and US Airways has the most jet service to the US each day. Is that correct? I have been to NAS a few times and I really like the amount of traffic they get. The airports seems to be in need of a little expansion though. I have a friend in ATC there and he says at times airplanes have to wait a while to get gates, at times even remote parking. IS this true?

letsgetwet

Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:57 am

I realize that I am being a little stubborn on this technicality so I would like to apologize if I have offended anyone, and if Islandboy wants to live in the the Caribbean than so be it.

I am an avid SCUBA diver so in my mind if I tell someone that I'm planning a Caribbean dive, I do not think of the Bahamas. (Not that they don't have some wonderful dive locations there)

Islandboy

Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:16 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 41):
I realize that I am being a little stubborn on this technicality so I would like to apologize if I have offended anyone, and if Islandboy wants to live in the the Caribbean than so be it.

It's not that i want to live in the Caribbean....it's just what is being taught at schools and linked through history. I know we aren't flanked by the Caribbean Sea...but for all intents and purposes, the governments of the world has effectively linked us as Caribbean, partly because of political and cultural alikes.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 40):
Yes, IslandBoy, I am thinking of the charters. I don't too many in NAS, but then I am not too they don't come at all. As regards to US flights, other than SJU, I think NAS has it. They pretty much get served by almost all US carriers, including the likes of JetBlue, and Song (whom i hear is leaving NAS). American Eagle has the most flights day to the US, and US Airways has the most jet service to the US each day. Is that correct? I have been to NAS a few times and I really like the amount of traffic they get. The airports seems to be in need of a little expansion though. I have a friend in ATC there and he says at times airplanes have to wait a while to get gates, at times even remote parking. IS this true?

Charters..we have First Choice, Skyservice, Air Transat and Canjet. U5 also. NAS will be served by all six legacy carriers as well as a good amount of the LCC's as well. NAS is indeed gate conjested. If you arrive anywhere in the timeframe of 11am - 2pm, expect a good chance to get a remote parking spot or to be put in a hold on the taxiway. US does indeed have the most Jet service and Eagle does serve the most US destinations.

Neo

Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:39 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 36):

Again all nonsense!!! Let me try to explain to you. The Caribbean Sea is not the same thing as the Caribbean region Geographically speaking. It doesn not matter if Bahamas and Bermudas are not located in the Caribbean sea, they belong to the Caribbean!!! Get yourself a decent Atlas and you will be able to see that.

Quoting Islandboy (Reply 37):
This has to be the most dumbest context of something I've ever seen. Realise this...every Caribbean Government recognizes The Bahamas as being in the Caribbean. Who-ever said that Florida was in the Caribbean? Guyana isn't in the Caribbean either...but guess what..It's the head quarters of Caricom. I suggest since you don't live in the Caribbean and was not taught history and such. You refrain from 1) Typing in Caps. 2) Babbling the same nonsense over and over. You simply refuse to accept what history and every other Government do.

Agree 100%!

Quoting Captaink (Reply 40):
(Why is alaska an american state and not a canadian province?

Same thing goes for the Hawaiian Islands.. they are part of North America, but are located far west in the Pacific...

Rgs,
Neo

letsgetwet

Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:50 pm

Quoting Neo (Reply 43):

Same thing goes for the Hawaiian Islands.. they are part of North America, but are located far west in the Pacific...

Now that's where I'm going to draw the line. Hawaii is a state in the United States but there is no way that you could say it is in North America. I suppose in your mind Guam is in North America, and the Falkland Islands are in Europe? ,.. Hell, with your reasoning Bermuda is in Europe.

I can see they don't teach Geography in school anymore.

BDABOY

Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:21 pm

Bermuda is not in the Caribbean, either in geographic or political terms. I know- I live there.

Neo

Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:57 pm

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 44):
Now that's where I'm going to draw the line. Hawaii is a state in the United States but there is no way that you could say it is in North America. I suppose in your mind Guam is in North America, and the Falkland Islands are in Europe? ,.. Hell, with your reasoning Bermuda is in Europe.

I can see they don't teach Geography in school anymore.

From what I know it is not in my country they are starting banning geography from schools!!! What your are not getting is that even though Hawaii is geographically located in the middle of the Pacific it is a state of the US and therefore politically considered as North America. You can search the net for any maps of North America and you will see this true.

Rgs,

Neo

Xkorpyoh

Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:04 pm

Quoting BDABOY (Reply 45):
Bermuda is not in the Caribbean, either in geographic or political terms. I know- I live there.

For marketing purposes, BDA and Bahamas are considered caribbean because they belong to the same tourism market: Sun & Sand

For the purpose of this questions, it is fair to include the islands of BDA and Bahamas to compare the airport activities with the other islands in the caribbean sea.

Still, nobody has posted any factual information about passengers numbers or daily flights for each airport. I was doing a search online and couldnt find it.

letsgetwet

Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:02 pm

Quoting Neo (Reply 46):
of the US and therefore politically considered as North America. You can search the net for any maps of North America and you will see this true.

The title of this thread is Top 10 Caribbean Airports.
Not
Top 10 Airports Politically connected to the Caribbean Region.

Geography and Politics are 2 different animals.

bond007

Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:48 pm

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 48):
The title of this thread is Top 10 Caribbean Airports.
Not
Top 10 Airports Politically connected to the Caribbean Region.

Geography and Politics are 2 different animals.

So....the question wasn't 'Top 10 Carribbean Airports Geographically' either  Yeah sure

Anyway, WHY would is so difficult to maybe include Bermuda, and the Bahamas, and those that don't want to include them can ignore them ....as opposed to 40 posts arguing about it!!

From my data...that is flight from within US airspace, the following are in order of movements.

TJSJ San Juan (top by a long way!)
MYNN Nassau, Bahamas
TXKF Bermuda
TNCM St.Maarten
TIST St.Thomas
MDSD Dominican Republic
TBPB Barbados
TUPJ Tortola
TISX Christiansted
MKJS Jamaica

I'm probably missing some international flights to Bermuda, and St.Maarten, so might move up the list.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos