duke

Racy Private Turboprops

Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:46 pm

I have seen executive turboprops in the past with canard fins, a (probably) T-tail and two pusher-propeller, rear-mounted engines. They look on the whole more like jets. What type(s) is/are it?

BBJII

RE: Racy Private Turboprops

Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:49 pm

I seen it too. I know there an Italian register one. Looks Like something from james bond film.

wave 
Remember: The Bird Hit You, You Didn't Hit The Bird.....

longhauler

Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:03 pm

You mean this one?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Bartlett

This is a Beech 2000 Starship
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

EMBQA

Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:47 pm

The Beech Starship has been grounded for almost two years now, so I doubt that is it. The other choice is the Avanti....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Luc Willems

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Thompson

Let's not re-start the questions on why the Starship was grounded. It's been well covered with a dozen or so threads...try a search.......
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Goldenshield

Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:51 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 3):
The Beech Starship has been grounded for almost two years now, so I doubt that is it. The other choice is the Avanti

It's not grounded. They just stopped making spare parts. One guy even bought 2-3 other starships to cover for spare parts.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

BBJII

Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:53 pm

Starship is the one i've seen.

wave 
Remember: The Bird Hit You, You Didn't Hit The Bird.....

DLKAPA

Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:54 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 3):
The Beech Starship has been grounded for almost two years now, so I doubt that is it. The other choice is the Avanti....

I guess that's why this summer one flew over my neighborhood?  Wink There are still a few flying.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

1MillionFlyer

Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:57 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 3):

There is one that flys almost daily out of SNA.

There was a show on History channel about how an individual refused to sell his plane back and has spares to operate for up to 20 years.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

EMBQA

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:00 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 6):
guess that's why this summer one flew over my neighborhood

I'm sure you saw an Avanti.. 49 of the 53 Beech Starship are sitting in the desert and are in the process of being cut up and burned. Of the other, one is owned by the Rutan's as they were a big part of its design, the other is owned by a guy in CA. He is the one that bought all of Beech's spares to keep his one plane flying.

http://www.bobscherer.com/Pages/Starship.htm

[Edited 2005-11-06 16:16:15]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Daleaholic

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:03 am

That starship looks very cool! They should make a jet version of it!
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

srbmod

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:08 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 8):
I'm sure you saw an Avanti..

It's kind of hard to mistake an Avanti with a Starship.

Starship:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Carter

Avanti:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mathieu Pouliot

EMBQA

Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:35 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 10):
It's kind of hard to mistake an Avanti with a Starship.

Right..!! So when the original poster asked what a T-tail, pusher prop executive turboprop plane was, I said the Avanti as everyone else was jumping on the Starship wagon.

TomTurner

Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:48 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 6):
Quoting EMBQA (Reply 3):

I guess that's why this summer one flew over my neighborhood? Wink There are still a few flying.

Its interesting Eric. I thought I saw one too over New York less than a year ago. - However improbable. It certainly was not an Avanti!

Question: Does anyone know if the AASI Jetcruzer has made it into production - or changed its name? Seems to be only two shots of the prototype on A.net.

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

planespotting

Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:59 am

the original poster said he saw these type of airplanes in "the past" which would mean that he most likely is referring to the Beech Starship, which was introduced in the early 80's and was the only rear thrust t-tail turboprop on the market for nearly 20 years, until the Avanti one came into production.

it is unlikely, however, that you will see a Starship on a regular basis these days. Most of the remaining airframes were bought up by Beech, but a few remain out there, owned by stubborn owners who didn't want to give up their aircraft (i wouldn't want to give up the starship either, they are great airplanes).
Do you like movies about gladiators?

flyboy80

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:11 am

i saw a starship in EUG just two months ago.

aeroweanie

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:32 am

Quoting TomTurner (Reply 12):
Question: Does anyone know if the AASI Jetcruzer has made it into production - or changed its name? Seems to be only two shots of the prototype on A.net.

AASI got a certification for the Jetcruzer, but it never went into production. AASI is now gone...

EMBQA

Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:37 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 13):
the original poster said he saw these type of airplanes in "the past" which would mean that he most likely is referring to the Beech Starship, which was introduced in the early 80's and was the only rear thrust t-tail turboprop on the market for nearly 20 years, until the Avanti one came into production.

You may want to research your statement a little further. The Beech Starship was issued its TCDS by the FAA on June of 1988... the Piaggio Avanti on May 1990... FAR from your 20 year statement.

My Starship connection.. NC-51, now with Burt Rutan and Scaled Composites was based PSM with Tyco International when I worked there in 1995.

[Edited 2005-11-06 20:07:46]

PILOTALLEN

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:38 am

The P-180 should not be closely related to the starship by any means haha....the Avanti is a real hot rod....in fact its one of the fastest turbprops around if not the fastest.....I think I've heard 380kt true but don't hold me to it....either that or 420....I cannot remember what I heard....a heck of a full standup cabin too...and soon the cockpit will be upgraded to an all glass one...cannot remember which company is making the glass....not garmin or avydine...anyway kinda neat. Ferrari also does the upholstry inside so its pretty sharp.
Thats not flying, thats falling with style -Woody

pilotpip

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:15 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 13):

The Starship is not a T-Tail. There is no elevated horizontal stabilizer. Second, the P-180s being produced now are the second incarnation of the model. A limited number of the aircraft were produced in the late 80s/early 90s but the company went bankrupt. It wasn't that far behind the starship. The Avanti was designed by Ferarri engineers. They know a thing or two about going fast. The aircraft holds a number of turboprop speed records, some set by Steve Fossett. It can get over 390kts true.
DMI

planespotting

Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:47 pm

damn. i need to start doing more than just assuming i have the right information.

sorry for the mis-information.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

duke

Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:17 pm

Okay so I think it was likely an Avanti.