vv701

Have DL Checked International Flight Yields

Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:59 pm

DL are reducing their presence in the US domestic market and expanding their international services. But do they know what they are doing?

At http://www.FareMeasure.com I see, for example, that the lowest return fare on the New York to San Francisco route is $466 offered by CO. In my Sunday newspaper the lowest fare I can find advertised for London to San Francisco (by an unidentified airline) is £280 return ($476). I would have thought that profitability on the New York - San Francisco route would be higher at these prices than London - San Francisco which is obviously much further.

By the way this London-San Francisco fare is interesting to me personally. My first holiday on the West Coast was in 1980. The fare was £4 more expensive 25 years ago at £284 despite quite a lot of inflation in the interim!

CVG777

RE: Have DL Checked International Flight Yields

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:35 pm

That fare may be from a company that purchases airline seats in bulk for lower prices, and then sells them slightly higher than the price they paid. It is probably not coming from the airline directly, or if it is, it is probably a special deal with a very limited number of seats actually available at those prices.

Even at lower economy prices, the bulk of revenue from a particular international flight will be from passengers in premium cabins. Airlines can offset some of the losses they make on coach fares through the high business class fares.

MarshalN

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:42 pm

And for some of these routes it might also be very season sensitive -- I know places like YVR have very low yields during the winter months because aside from the die hard skiing fans from Asia, they don't get a whole lot of traffic, whereas during the summer it's much more busy. This is also reflected in things like hotel prices, where winter rates are about half of summer rates...

jetdeltamsy

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:49 pm

Quoting CVG777 (Reply 1):
That fare may be from a company that purchases airline seats in bulk for lower prices, and then sells them slightly higher than the price they paid. It is probably not coming from the airline directly, or if it is, it is probably a special deal with a very limited number of seats actually available at those prices.

Wholesaling on domestic fares no longer exists in the United States. There are some companies that deal in frequent flyer award tickets (illegally). But the days of wholesaling are about over.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos