airfrnt

Boeing Prepares To Gear Up.....

Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:38 am

From MSNBC:

As Boeing Commercial Airplanes starts increasing production for the first time in nearly a decade, people inside the company are looking over their shoulders at the traumatic memories of 1997.

That was a year that should have been a bonanza for Boeing, with one of its largest order books of aircraft in its history. Instead, the year turned into a debacle, as the company ran into shortages of critical parts, had to halt its 737 and 747 lines for weeks, and took more than $2 billion in charges to cover the added costs.

It should be noted that Boeing is gearing up for 395 planes not the 527 a year they were doing pre-9/11. Still good news for the aviation industry. Economies of scale improve the larger the scale, and this should make Boeing more competitive. It also is going to be a test for scaling up the 787 production line.

lightsaber
Crew

RE: Boeing Prepares To Gear Up.....

Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:25 am

Quoting AirFrnt (Thread starter):
Economies of scale improve the larger the scale, and this should make Boeing more competitive.

So true, until the factories are at too much overtime. However, Boeing has quite a few lines that could be sped up: 747, 777, and the conversion of the 757 line to 737 production.

I expect with oil at today's prices that the average life of an airliner will drop from 30 to 35 years down to 25 years. Just my "hip shot."

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

N908AW

Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:02 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 1):
I expect with oil at today's prices that the average life of an airliner will drop from 30 to 35 years down to 25 years. Just my "hip shot."

??? I would think it'd be longer. Airlines don't want to create another expenditure in addition to fuel by replacing.
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

Cadet57

Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:32 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 1):

Ummm, what? With the advent of todays more fuel efficient engines, and composite materials ac will be around longer and they'll be cheaper...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Areopagus

Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:00 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 3):
Ummm, what? With the advent of todays more fuel efficient engines, and composite materials ac will be around longer and they'll be cheaper...

When they are fresh off the production line, they reduce the average fleet age.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos