carmenlu15

Confusing Airport Names...

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:54 am

It happens a lot... Passenger contacts the airline and requests a flight to a certain airport, airline employee works out the complete info on price, schedule, a/c type, fare restrictions... only to discover the pax was talking about a totally different airport.  irked 

An example that comes to mind is DFW vs. IAD. You might think, what do Texas and D.C. have in common? (besides the fact that the current resident of the White House is Texan, that is  silly  ) Well, it turns out that many people, at least over here, pronounce the name of the Dulles airport as "Dallas". Imagine the confusions (and upset customers!) that arise when the pax gets thrilled over what seems an el-cheapo fare to IAD, just to find out the agent has quoted a fare to DFW (which is usually cheaper).

It gets much worse... I remember once receiving a call from a travel agent at the verge of tears, asking for help. She had sold tickets to an elderly couple, they boarded their plane and got off in SAL for their connecting flight, and only then did they notice they had been booked to DFW, when their intention was to fly to IAD.  Wow!

Other case I can think of is a pax that was offered a flight to ORD (Chicago, IL), when he wanted to travel to Chiclayo (a city in Perú).  crazy 

Any other airports you can recall?

Saludos
Carmen  airplane 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

Avianca

RE: Confusing Airport Names...

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:58 am

I heard once that a couple from germany traveled to Sidney (Canada) instead of the plnd Sydney in Austrialia, (they noticed it when the arrived in Sidney Canada)...
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

ScottB

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:01 am

Well, certainly SJC & SJO (both San Jose); PWM & PDX (both Portland); GTR, CSG, & CMH (all Columbus); BHX & BHM (both Birmingham) or MHT & MAN (both Manchester) could all lead to problems. You could even have someone on a ticket to YYZ when what they really wanted was a ticket to ONT, or SEA when they wanted DCA.

[Edited 2005-11-09 00:02:01]

BAxMAN

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:09 am

I know of an unfortunate Dutch chap who booked a bargain fare to JER, but was expecting to land in New Jersey, USA.
I need to get laid

mats

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:10 am

I was recently checking in at Paris/Charles de Gaulle. The Air France agent said, "Are you going to Port Colu today?"

My ticket was to CMH, Port Columbus International Airport in Columbus, Ohio. But the AF system only shows up as "Port Colu."

The complications tend to arise when two similar cities have service to the same hub. In these instances, the airlines tend to be cautious. Here are some examples...

Toronto: service to London, Ontario and London/Heathrow UK

Newark: service to Manchester, New Hampshire and Manchester UK

Los Angeles: service to Oakland and Auckland, San José de Costa Rica and San José, California

Naturally, this also includes confusion about service to different airports in the same city.

This was a complaint about Delta's ill-fated reservations call center in India. The agents were often unfamiliar with North American geography and problems ensued... at least that's what was reported in the press.

noelg

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:31 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 1):
couple from germany traveled to Sidney (Canada) instead of the plnd Sydney in Austrialia, (they noticed it when the arrived in Sidney Canada)...

I think that was a British couple - they thought nothing of the fact that they were flying on Air Canada via YHZ and carried on in a Be1900. They tried sueing Expedia for not making it clear that they had booked to Sydney Canada  crazy 

Noel.

Avianca

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:35 am

Quoting NoelG (Reply 5):
I think that was a British couple -

of course British and not German  eyebrow 

Quoting NoelG (Reply 5):
think that was a British couple - they thought nothing of the fact that they were flying on Air Canada via YHZ and carried on in a Be1900.

lol what a story. lol
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Btriple7

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:44 am

I remember I was once trying to find a flight to France. I typed in RDU for the departure airport and ORL (thinking it was the code for Orly) for the destination airport. I remember being overjoyed to find $99 fare to Paris. Turns Orly's airport code is ORY not ORL. Oh well. It would have been nice.
Just...fly.

jsposaune

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:52 am

A couple of years ago, US used to fly from PIT to CRW (Charleston, WV) and CHS (Charleston, SC).

A lady mistakenly boarded the CRW flight, when she meant to go to CHS. What made it funnier is that the flight wasn't able to land in CRW due to fog, so it came back to PIT. The passengers deplaned, and it wasn't until the lady tried to re-board for CRW that anyone realized something was wrong.

Why the boarding passes weren't checked when she first got on the CRW flight is another issue altogether!!
There are no stupid questions....only stupid people!!!

10mid

Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:42 am

Quoting Jsposaune (Reply 8):
A couple of years ago, US used to fly from PIT to CRW (Charleston, WV) and CHS (Charleston, S

Some genius one day at IAH decided to assign gates for flights to CRW and CHS with similar departure times out of a shared gate, which splits after going through the main door. Like 76 and 76A.

Also had Asheville and Nashville going out of adjacent gates.

jsposaune

Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:51 am

Quoting 10MID (Reply 9):
Also had Asheville and Nashville going out of adjacent gates.

Brilliant!!  banghead 
There are no stupid questions....only stupid people!!!

citationjet

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:36 am

Years ago on Braniff, when checking in at Dallas Love Field for Wichita, KS (ICT) more than once my luggage ended up in Wichita Falls, TX.

Also, when changing planes in DFW for a flight to Rio de Janeiro or Paris, France my relatives in Dallas assumed that I was connecting to American Eagle to Rio, Texas and Paris, Texas. Texas.....its a whole different country.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

plunafan

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:43 am

What about Liberia? Costa Rica or Africa.
And Santiago? Chile, Dominican Republic, Spain (Santiago de Compostela) or Argentina (Santiago del Estero).

stirling

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:59 am

Back in 1989 when I moved from Denver to Charleston WV....took me three weeks to convince Allied Van Lines that there was more than one 'Charleston' in this country, AND I wasn't happy sleeping on the floor.....Then they turned around and had the nerve to try and charge me $1100 for storage and transit....Dumb bastards. Uhhhh....NO!
Delete this User

kcrwflyer

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:18 pm

More messups with CRW; we had a CO 738 come in from MSY a while back that was supposed to go to CHS.

Quoting 10MID (Reply 9):
Some genius one day at IAH decided to assign gates for flights to CRW and CHS with similar departure times out of a shared gate, which splits after going through the main door. Like 76 and 76A.

Are their signs on the ramp?

Also, do airlines ever mix up planes between cities similar to CHS and CRW on scheduled flights?

GQfluffy

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:31 pm

Well, if you're traveling to HLN, and your bags don't show, there's a good chance they are in HNL without you. Lucky bags...
This isn't where I parked my car...

PanAm747

Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:59 pm

Don't forget Durango, CO and Durango, MX...

I once had to stop a friend from buying what he thought was a VERY cheap ticket to Melbourne, Australia. I couldn't believe he got the flight roundtrip for under $500 from SAN. I double checked - had I not, he would have ended up in Melbourne, Florida, not Melbourne, Victoria.

Quote:
Well, if you're traveling to HLN, and your bags don't show, there's a good chance they are in HNL without you. Lucky bags...

I once had to stop an AA clerk from putting a BDL tag on my suitcase when I wanted it to go to BFL. Always good to watch what is being done - I ask to see the tag they put on (never a problem since).
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

jgold47

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:10 pm

Portland ore, and portland, me, had someone at work manage to pull that one off.....

lehovec

Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:47 pm

What about FR offering flights to Santiago... they got enormous amoubnt of bookings from Sweden, people were actually thinking that FR is flying to Santiago de Chile (instead to Santiago de Compostela) for 9.99 eur...  Big grin

ANother

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:17 pm

Vancouver B.C. which has an airport YVR and Vancouver Washington which doesn't - acutally across the river from PDX! Hey, you said you wanted to fly to Vancouver!

OzarkD9S

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:23 pm

This is A.net specific.

I grew up in Peoria, Illinois (airport code: PIA). Whenever I see a topic heading "PIA to blah blah blah" I always think of Peoria first, instead of Pakistan International Airlines.

Is that just me?  Wink
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

ANother

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:30 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 1):
I heard once that a couple from germany traveled to Sidney (Canada) instead of the plnd Sydney in Austrialia, (they noticed it when the arrived in Sidney Canada)...

Actually it was a British couple which confused Sydney (with a Y) NS (Nova Scotia) with Sydney NS (New South Wales). Sidney (with an I) BC is quite close to Victoria Airport. Here is a link to the BBC report.

In typical British (Stiff upper lip) fashion they made the most of it, no reports of suing anybody!

steady eddie

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:37 pm

I know of a family that went to Tenerife instead of Tel Aviv as they misheard the boarding announcement, and got past the gate agent, cabin crew and actually flew. Also their bags did go to TLV. Back in the days when security wasnt as big an issue but they still managed to slip right the way through the net.

LGWspeedbird

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:37 pm

We had something similar a couple of weeks ago, a pax was offloaded from our DFW BA2193 service as she wanted IAD!

the supervisor had put on the boarding log pax X offld due to wanting washington dulles and not dallas. LOL  biggrin 
upcoming flights LHR-LAX-HNL-SFO-LHR

cornish

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:41 pm

Quoting Lehovec (Reply 18):
What about FR offering flights to Santiago... they got enormous amoubnt of bookings from Sweden, people were actually thinking that FR is flying to Santiago de Chile (instead to Santiago de Compostela) for 9.99 eur...

They also fooled some people into thinking they were actually flying to Frankfurt too when it turned out they were going to the almost equally distant Hahn (aka Luxembourg South)  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

carmenlu15

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:16 am

Quoting LGWspeedbird (Reply 23):
a pax was offloaded from our DFW BA2193 service as she wanted IAD!

The Dallas airport strikes again...  rotfl 

You know what's even worse? Don't trust me on this one, but I once heard about a man that wanted a flight to IAD and noticed his ticket was issued incorrectly... only after he had arrived at DFW. Oops!
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

king

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:10 am

ROC Rochester, NY
RST Rochester, MN

AirScoot

Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:17 am

Surprised nobody has brought up Springfield, MO (SGF) vs Springfield, IL (SPI).. I know that used to be a problem when selling TW... I had an agent that regularly confused the two. Always hell to straighten out.

RL757PVD

Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:31 am

Not a day goes by where Daytona Beach "DAB" doesnt get a Dayton "DAY" bag by mistake!

Also foreign tourists have made been booked into the wrong city in the past by doing XXX-DAY instead of DAB.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

vatveng

Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:43 am

Returning home to Virginia from Florida on US, connected in Charlotte, bags and tickets both said destination PHF (Newport News/Williamsburg), bags went to PHL.

FI642

Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:48 am

Years ago I flew into Orlando (MCO), and someone asked me where I had come from "Athens" I responded. Oh, you have family in Georgia? "The other Athens" was my response. She gave me that deer in the headlights look, having no idea there was "another" Athens.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

dtwclipper

Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:03 am

I remember the Dalles/Dulles business very well.

When New York Air had its hub at IAD we would hear things like, Why do I have to fly to Texas to get to Florida from New York! It was very funny!

Also, DTW/DFW. I always watch the tags to make sure my bags don't end up in Texas.

How about Grand Rapids, MI and Grand Rapids, MN?

Quoting AirScoot (Reply 27):
Surprised nobody has brought up Springfield, MO (SGF) vs Springfield, IL

So, which one do the Simpsons live in? LOL
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

N1120A

Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:20 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 31):
Quoting AirScoot (Reply 27):

So, which one do the Simpsons live in? LOL

Actually, given Mayor Quimby's accent, it could well be BAF (Springfield, MA)
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

bwaflyer

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:02 am

I remember seeing an old episode of Airline where a couple had boarded a flight to Palma, only to discover that they were flying to Spain, rather than the intended Parma Italy!!

Mir

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:22 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 19):
Vancouver B.C. which has an airport YVR and Vancouver Washington which doesn't

Not entirely true, but you'd never fit even an RJ into Vancouver, WA  biggrin 

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KVUO

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

HT

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:31 am

Several years ago using a paper ticket stating "Hanover" (Germany) as my destination, a spanish agent tried to check me in to HAN.

Btw, Hannover´s IATA-code is HAJ.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

DeltaWings

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:48 am

I know some people got upset, because back in 2000 the ZRH airport owner Unique promoted their airport under that name, through putting that name on the tower and so. "Unique (Zurich) airport" sounded to similar to Munich airport in French.
It led to a confusion once, when two French business men took a taxi from the French part of Switzerland, telling the taxi driver to go to "Unique airport". Of Course the driver understood Munich and drove them all the way there.
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

thegooddoctor

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:44 am

Once when flying from Portland, Maine to Phoenix, AZ, I had to change the day of my return segment. I was in a hurry and wrote down the information the agent gave me over the phone. It wasn't until the next day when I looked at it that I realized that the minneapolis-phoenix segment was an hour longer than normal, and also wasn't a usual 1XX flight number.

Just to be sure everything was in order, I called NW and found out the agent I talked to had rebooked me from Portland, Maine (PWM) to Portland, OR (PDX). I'm not sure how she eliminated Phoenix from the equasion, but it took me ten minutes to convince the agent that I had originated out of Phoenix in order to get the itinerary fixed.

...I guess the moral of the story is there were too many "P" cities involved for anyone's good...
The GoodDoctor

don81603

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:00 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 31):

Actually, Springfield should cause the most hassles. I have counted over 30 Springfield in the US alone. While I'm certain not all have airports, if even 10 do, what a potential nightmare!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

ZakHH

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:19 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 24):
They also fooled some people into thinking they were actually flying to Frankfurt too when it turned out they were going to the almost equally distant Hahn (aka Luxembourg South)

Happened to a friend of mine. She lives in Milano and wanted to go to HELBig grin ). She decided to go via FRA and found a very cheap flight from MXP to "Frankfurt-Hahn" (HHN). She realized that her connecting flight left from another airport, but thought that 2,5 hours should be fairly enough to go "across Frankfurt" by bus or train.

Well, she was rather surprised to find Frankfurt-Hahn having fairly nothing to do with the city of Frankfurt, both being 100 km apart. Her only chance to catch her flight to HEL was to take a taxi, which would cost her about 10 times what she paid for her ticket to Hahn... Poor her (and lucky me - I had to comfort her for her mishap when I met her in Helsinki... *rrr*  cloudnine  ).

Another endless source of joy is Moscow's 2 main airports, Sheremetyevo (SVO) and Domodedovo (DME), especially for transit travellers. When planning a flight route, some travel agents would not observe that you need a transit visa for Russia if you want to switch flights in Moscow, with your departure airport being not the same as your arrival airport. Also, they constantly underestimate the driving time from one airport to the other, which can easily be 2+ hours during rush hour (which is basically from 0-24h in Moscow...  tired  ).
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

N1120A

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:29 am

Quoting Plunafan (Reply 12):
And Santiago? Chile, Dominican Republic, Spain (Santiago de Compostela) or Argentina (Santiago del Estero).

And don't forget Santiago de Cuba
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

FlySSC

Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:49 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Thread starter):
You might think, what do Texas and D.C. have in common? (besides the fact that the current resident of the White House is Texan

The "current resident" of the White House, G.W.B, is not Texan.
He was born, and raised, in New Haven, Connecticut.
His Family moved to Texas when he was 13.

TinkerBelle

Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:23 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 16):
I once had to stop an AA clerk from putting a BDL tag on my suitcase when I wanted it to go to BFL. Always good to watch what is being done - I ask to see the tag they put on (never a problem since).

On an EBB-LHR-SFO flight on BA, the agent put a tag on my luggage for final destination as SL4 instead of SFO. We boarded and then there was some un-accounted for luggage so we had to deplane so that everybody can identify their luggage. I happened to notice the tag on my bags said SL4 instead of SFO and just had to laugh about it coz there's no airport code SL4. To make matters worse, the dumba$$ check-in agent had the nerve to argue with me over the code once I notified them about it  banghead 
If you are going through hell, keep going.

brokenrecord

Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:21 am

I'm glad I know my IATA codes... lol

CWAFlyer

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:08 pm

Years ago when I worked in PSP, you'd be amazed at the number of
bag reports that I took because customer service agents or skycaps
would use the wrong city code on the bag tags instead of spelling out
the final destination on interline bags. Instead of writing Palm Springs
as they were supposed to do, they would use PBI (West Palm Beach, FL)
or SPS (Wichita Falls, TX) most of the time. Even airlines checking bags
connecting on-line would be done wrong. I used to see TWA bags
checked with the old colored strap tags sent to the wrong city.

n9801f

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:00 pm

In the days before laser bag tags, lots of bags meant for Albuquerque (ABQ) were sent to Albany (ALB) instead and vice-versa. The problem was so common that the staff in each city knew one another well from all the interaction to sort it out.

Another surpringly common one was Portland, OR (PDX) and Portland, ME (PWM)...

bohica

Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:00 pm

How to tell the difference between CHS and CRW passengers:

Make them smile.
If they have teeth, they are going to CHS.
If they don't have teeth, they are going to CRW.  duck   Big grin

ltbewr

Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:03 pm

For NY City area for international flights, the use of EWR (Newark-Liberty) vs. JFK. I know the difference, but for many foreign travelers, without previous experience to the NY City area, and the different states involved, it can cause confusion.

AR1300

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:22 pm

my mom once called me to Chicago and told me that she found great fares to Oakland(wich she belived was close to LAX, where I was going....) from EZE.
Turned out that it was Auckland, New Zealand, during an AR sale  Smile

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

BBJII

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:58 pm

Confusing Airport names  Confused

London Luton Not in London  Sad
London Stansted Not in London  Sad
London Gatwick Not in London  Sad
London Heathrow Not in London  Sad
Frankfurt Hahn Not in Frankfurt  Sad
Brussels Charloi Not in Brussels  Sad
Dusseldorf MGL Not in Dusseldorf  Sad (MGL is Munchengladbach)

Gotta love those PR and Marketing Guru's :|

Not exactly want you wanted,but still confusing.  checkmark 

But it does reming me of the Family of 9 I once booked to Arlanda, they were really happy with the price and there friends came in to book to  Smile

Only when the kids mentions Mickey Mouse did I find out they ment Orlando  rotfl 

Oh how we laughed.

wave 
Remember: The Bird Hit You, You Didn't Hit The Bird.....