SHUPirate1
Topic Author

UA At SFO: Summer Of 2000 Question...

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:21 pm

How big was UA at SFO during the famed "Summer of 2000" when the airport ended up in gridlock nearly every day? Does anybody actually have an OAG from that time frame that they could use to show how overloaded the airport really was, and how much UA has downsized the operation since then? Thanks in advance!
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

tommy767

RE: UA At SFO: Summer Of 2000 Question...

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:18 pm

I don't remember gridlocks at SFO but I remember the delays were absolutely terrible in ORD which I think give the name, "Summer of 2000" to UA.

Tommy in EWR/LAX
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:58 pm

Actually in 2000 UA had an incredibly large number of equally incredible delays. Airport congestion, fleet problems and weather combined caused an almost all-summer catastrphy throughout the domestic and partially the international network. During that year I flew United five or six times and it really didn't matter which flights I booked - I'd get there on another route and usually another airline (thank you Northwest) anyway.

On one occasion I tried to get from ORD to MSP - usually served about once an hour. I was on a 4pm flight and eventually left at 11:20pm, getting into MSP well after midnight. That was my last flight on the good old 737-200 - sniff....

StarGoldLHR

Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:46 am

I recall one occasion in summer 2000 when cloud forced one runway to be closed. I was stuck in LA on a UA Shuttle which, by the end all flights from 6am - 1pm were canceled to SFO. At 13.30 hundreds of us all boarded a UA 747-400 for the flight from LAX to SFO...

it was great fun on a big plane for a short flight even if I had waited several hours for it (others rented a car and drove)  Smile
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

ramprat74

Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:55 am

UA had close to 250 departures a day of out SFO. I believe LAX had about 180 departures.

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:57 am

Quoting Ramprat74 (Reply 4):
UA had close to 250 departures a day of out SFO. I believe LAX had about 180 departures.

Do each of those include SxUA and UAX operations?

CHI787ORD

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:20 am

Quoting Ramprat74 (Reply 4):

How much did ORD, IAD, and DEN have?

mattnrsa

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:13 pm

The Summer of 2000 does not refer to ATC congestion at SFO, or any other hub. It refers to the contract negotiations with the pilots that resulted in huge numbers of cancellations and delays system wide due to pilot shortages (sick calls, not taking overtime, etc).

The ATC problems at SFO had been horrible through the second half of the 90's, and were also very bad at ORD. The capacity reductions after 9/11 helped ease many of the delays. Capacity restrictions for UA and AA at ORD have kept the delays from getting back to how they were. Reduced capacity at SFO (approx 160 today for mainline vs. approx 230 in 2000), plus the new approach pattern SOIA to increase the arrival rate with low ceilings (if they are still using it) have helped keep delays down there. ATC delays are not uncommon in SFO, just not the intensity we saw in the 90's.

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:27 pm

Quoting Mattnrsa (Reply 7):
The Summer of 2000 does not refer to ATC congestion at SFO, or any other hub. It refers to the contract negotiations with the pilots that resulted in huge numbers of cancellations and delays system wide due to pilot shortages (sick calls, not taking overtime, etc).

I was under the impression that the nightmarish "Summer of 2000" was nothing less than a confluence of the Air Traffic Control issues, overscheduling, and the aforementioned pilot negotiations all coming to a head at the same time, creating an operational purgatory as a result.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos