flyingnanook

Question About NW Cargo

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:22 am

I was just looking at flytecomm and there is a NW Cargo flight stopping in FAI between AMS and NRT. I verified this on Northwest's website. Ordinarily I would just assume this is a diversion from ANC, but flight 903 is scheduled AMS-FAI-NRT tomorrow as well.

So my question is what is NW Cargo doing stopping in FAI on this route? I know we are a good refueling point between Europe and Asia and that these routes via FAI are shorter than those via ANC. Also NW has a cargo facility in ANC, so I would assume that they would prefer to go there. So is this a temporary thing? Or is it a permanent addition to our handful of cargo stopovers? Or maybe they are testing FAI's viability as a stopping point for NW? (probably not)

Also, it appears that FAI is only a stop on this westbound flight, because I can't find any eastbound flights through FAI, but I also can't find this route in reverse stopping in ANC either.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Boeing757/767

RE: Question About NW Cargo

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:12 am

I bet you these are Bojoulais wine charters.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

burnsie28

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:39 am

Quoting Boeing757/767 (Reply 1):

BINGO!

flyingnanook

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:42 am

Quoting Boeing757/767 (Reply 1):

OK, that makes sense. Is that the wine that's shipped all over the world and the whole world opens it at the same time to drink? It's something special like the first wine of the season, right? Or am I just pulling this all out of my ass?

But why doesn't the plane stop in ANC, where all the other NW cargo flights stop?
Semper ubi sub ubi.

N1120A

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:46 am

Quoting FlyingNanook (Reply 3):
OK, that makes sense. Is that the wine that's shipped all over the world and the whole world opens it at the same time to drink? It's something special like the first wine of the season, right? Or am I just pulling this all out of my ass?

The thing is, the Japanese, because of their location, are the first major population that can open it and drink it. They drink as much or more of it than the French
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Carpethead

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:15 pm

NW isn't the only one, there's a whole flock of cargo planes heading from France to Japan in the next few days. We never ever get EK or BA 74F in Japan except for a few days in November. Entire AF cargo fleet will probably find its way to Japan.
FAI stopover is slightly shorter than via ANC going from Europe to Japan.

A342

Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:29 am

Does somebody know if NSK(Norilsk, Russia) is open to western airlines for fuel stops? I was a highly secretive city and probably still is, as I can remember reading on the SU website that, if you want to visit Norilsk, you need an invitation by a local company or from local residents, otherwise you won´t be allowed to leave the airport.

I´m asking this because the route via NSK is much shorter than via FAI. Also, according to the Boeing website, the 742F has a max payload range of about 5600 km which means it cannot take full payload via Alaska, while it could via Norilsk.

AMS-FAI-NRT: 6804km+5620km = 12424 km
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=a...&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=&ETOPS=180

AMS-NSK-NRT: 4441km+4903km = 9344 km
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=a...GE-COLOR=navy&MAP-STYLE=&ETOPS=180
Exceptions confirm the rule.

A342

Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:49 am

Nobody to know ?  Confused Maybe some of our Russian friends ?
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Avianca

Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:46 am

Quoting Carpethead (Reply 5):
NW isn't the only one, there's a whole flock of cargo planes heading from France to Japan in the next few days. We never ever get EK or BA 74F in Japan except for a few days in November. Entire AF cargo fleet will probably find its way to Japan.
FAI stopover is slightly shorter than via ANC going from Europe to Japan.

yes all flights are full with these cheap wine...

the aircargo industry uses this excuse to all destinations all over the world to increase ad-hoc rates, also if there is no Bojoulais shipped.

Quoting A342 (Reply 6):
Does somebody know if NSK(Norilsk, Russia) is open to western airlines for fuel stops? I was a highly secretive city and probably still is, as I can remember reading on the SU website that, if you want to visit Norilsk, you need an invitation by a local company or from local residents, otherwise you won´t be allowed to leave the airport.

I´m asking this because the route via NSK is much shorter than via FAI. Also, according to the Boeing website, the 742F has a max payload range of about 5600 km which means it cannot take full payload via Alaska, while it could via Norilsk.

good question, and I have to say it is the first time that I hear the city of NSK, as I know nobody is ussing this airport for cargo flights to refuel the aircraft.

I think the most cargo airlines stil operate the europe-japan route via Alaska, but AirBridgeCargo has plnd flights from europe via Russia to Japan (but I think it is Novosibirsk)

regards
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia