I've flown Lufthansa FRA-ORD and FRA-BUD several times, and, besides getting from point A to point B, there is not much to be happy about.
- LH Boeing 747 I flew was clean but old and so cramped that I, being 6'2" tall, had to sit sideways most of the time on a 9 hour flight.
- Service is in general not very friendly, they just thow you your cold meal and that's pretty much it.
- Telephone reservation/information system from the U.S. is horrible. I was on hold had to wait 15-25 minutes each time I called Lufthansa. By comparison, when I call United or Delta, I wait about 2-4 min.
- They refused to reschedule one of my tickets, although I called 2 months in advance. The reason they have given is something along the lines "you are not in the computer, fax the copy of your ticket, and perhaps we'll have mercy on you." Unkind, if not outright rude.
- This maybe has nothing to do with Lufthansa itself, but I dislike Frankfurt airport. They are outright discriminatory. European Union flight terminal is OK, but the one for Eastern Europe/ Turkey/ Ex-soviet union is located in the basement, old, ugly and dirty. The air fares are the similar, they should treat pax the same.
Basically, I only fly Lufthansa by chance because they are United's partners on lines I travel often. I LOVE United's service and confort, even in the ecconomy class and on domestic flights.