jasond

QF Salutes Aus Socceroos

Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:12 pm

QF performs a brilliant flyover of a 747 over the Telstra Dome Sydney as the socceroos take on Uruguay in the world cup play-off. Australia outplays a talented and galant opposition to advance to the world cup next year. Thankyou Qantas for a wonderful gesture and see you all you aussies in Germany next year, go you big red fire engine!!!

DTManiac

RE: QF Salutes Aus Socceroos

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:09 am

Congratulations to your victory over Uruguay.

See you here in Germany next year.

Frederik
Gig 'em Aggies!!!

keesje

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:15 am

Yes, Congrats & welcome to Europe, as long as Guus knows his priorities..  Wink
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:51 am

Indeed good. I just wish they had a better name. Socceroos sounds terrible - like a 4th graders football team rather than a national squad.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

HKGKaiTak

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:29 am

WOOHOO!!! We're finally in the World Cup!!!!! The curse has definitely lifted ...  bigthumbsup 

I like how QF trotted out the 60 sec version of the I still call Australia Home commercials at every opportunity during SBS's telecast. Very patriotic. I wonder why the theme song at the stadium was Men at Work's Down Under rather than the 'Roo's spnosors song?

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 3):
Socceroos sounds terrible - like a 4th graders football team rather than a national squad.

rotfl   rotfl 

With "soccer" rebranding itself as "football" here in Oz, I wonder whether we'd have the "Footballroos" soon? Sounds even more terrible though.

However this is an aviation forum, and I'm wondering what was the aircraft the 'Roos chartered to go to Montevideo? I'm assuming its a QF aircraft?

And why didn't Uruguay find a charter plane or at least seats for all its players in F or J? Apparently quite a few of them had to endure the long flight in Y ... and what airline did they end up flying?
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

Sabena332

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:33 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 3):
Socceroos sounds terrible

I like it, it sounds cool in my opinion!  bigthumbsup 

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

mig21umd

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:22 am

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 4):

However this is an aviation forum, and I'm wondering what was the aircraft the 'Roos chartered to go to Montevideo? I'm assuming its a QF aircraft?

And why didn't Uruguay find a charter plane or at least seats for all its players in F or J? Apparently quite a few of them had to endure the long flight in Y ... and what airline did they end up flying?

Australian Football squad flew back home on a QF 767-300 with a fuel stop in the cook islands. It was specially fitted out with exercises equipment, massage tables and first class seats.

The Australian also slept and ate meals in synch with Sydney time.
Funny thing is Uruguay aircraft landed 3 hours before the Australian team arrived.
Though im sure the flight gave the Australian team a resting and recovery advantage.

I was lucky enough to be at the game last night and it was just awesome!!!
John Travolta was also there at the game representing Qantas and was interviewed about his roll with QF just before the flyover.  airplane 

THAN I find out that their might be a ticket for me for the WORLD CUP GRAND FINAL!!!!  Wow!(from friend through company sponsor) I hope Australia or Croatia make it all the way!

Greece at 150/1 managed to do it last year at Euro 04 Maybe Australia can do it in Germany 2006!

Good luck Australia!!!! bigthumbsup 
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you long to return

mig21umd

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:05 pm

Just to add.

Uruguay did attempt to charter but it did not work out for them. Maybe the approx $300 000 minimum was too much when they felt they done enough in Montevideo to qualify.

I believe they flew in with Lan.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you long to return

jasond

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:52 pm

Interesting question. The Australians looked refreshed and solid. An SBS commentator also said that one or two of the Uruguay players didn't like the trip across the pond much with one reported to have been worked on for some form of travel related 'cramp' problem. As a sideline a local radio show (Today, Today on JJJ) managed to sneak someone on to the hotel floor where the visitors were staying and said that he saw several players just lying or sitting around in the corridor outside their rooms looking fairly tired. Sometimes the results of these matches are also a little about your arrangements and preparations. It seems on the surface that Australians scored a victory in that area also.

KiwiTEAL

Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:18 pm

Sydney talk-back radio also told of John T and wife Kelly Preston visiting the aussie dressingroom after the show, where the entire team let rip with "You're the One that I Want" ! JT joining in and everyone going totally wild, dancing, singing, and getting covered in champagne !

I trust that I'm right and John Travolta flew himself into Australia on the 707? If so, I'm surprised that with the Qantas 85th Birthday etc: - that some of our Aussie spotters didn't cover this ? Maybe they did? - then again maybe they were at the soccer last nite too, and are still recovering  drunk 

John

VH

Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:38 pm

What an exciting evening that will last in the memories for some time to come. My wife and I booked our flights to Germany two months ago for the month with points in Business Class. We have flights into and out of Berlin which will make travelling around that much easier with a DB (Deutsch Bahn) World Cup Tickets. We will be setting up shop in Berlin and will be sourcing tickets from anyone that can get their hands on them.

It is a bit crazy how your goals can revolve around sport. I had a recent round the world trip for work and I made sure I would attain enough points to get the award bookings and maintain platinum status. . . if my wife only new what I got up to to maintain the status . . .

See you all there!

VH

Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:40 pm

By the way, tickets are already at an absolute premium. Just a simple one way from TXL (Berlin) to LHR is almost A$900 in economy restricted! Travel agents and QF staff are going to be inundated with calls this week and will be even busier once the draw is done on the 9th of December.

monteycarlos

Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:42 pm

Apparently Travolta has offered the services of his 707 to fly the team to Germany next year!

What a fantastic gesture!
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

VH

Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:47 pm

Nice geasure other than he would only be flying two players across and the entire management team. I suspect the majority of the team will be staying in Europe and won't need to come back from here on out due to them being based in Europe anyway.

bill142

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:51 pm

Quoting Jasond (Thread starter):
QF performs a brilliant flyover of a 747 over the Telstra Dome Sydney

Telstra Dome is in Melbourne. Telstra Stadium is in Sydney.

MEA

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:24 pm

For those that may be interested Emirates is offering airfares to Europe from Australia for only $1275 for travel until June 2006 but you must book and pay by 30 November 2005.

This is a very good deal considering it is the start of peak season.

jasond

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:51 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 14):
Telstra Dome is in Melbourne. Telstra Stadium is in Sydney.

Semantics, I knew what I meant. Besides I don't follow any other code other than soccer so whatever else is played at these locations is unknown to me which explains some level of 'unfamiliarity'. Thankyou for the correction however.

HKGKaiTak

Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:06 pm

CX has also just released a Germany deal as well covering the period of the World Cup ... can't recall how much it is now but I think it is around $1500 plus tax, which isn't a bad deal considering it is June ...
4 Engines 4 LongHaul