TG992
Topic Author

Air NZ Drops TPE

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:06 am

Hi all,

Unfortunately Air NZ has terminated services to Taipei for good and NZ metal will no longer be seen there. When the EVA-Air NZ airshare venture ends in March 2006 the NZ code will no longer appear at all to Taipei.

While the fact that Shanghai services will commence in late 2006 gives the impression that some political reasons were behind the withdrawal, it appears that TPE was the least profitable route in the network following a large decline in Taiwanese migration and tourism to New Zealand. I can well believe this as the TPE flights I've crewed this year have been on the whole pretty empty.

It's never nice to see a destination go, and I'll miss TPE. Hopefully conditions will improve in the long-term and we can go back there one day.
-

TPEcanuck

RE: Air NZ Drops TPE

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:22 am

It's ironic, this morning as I woke up listening to the radio I heard about a NZ Cheese event sponsored by NZ.

I guess if it's mostly a leisure market (and perhaps only 1 way at that) or people travelling home, it doesn't generate a lot of customers. I think SQ has pretty cheap prices on the route with a stop in Singapore, which for me was attractive the 2 times I've travelled to NZ as I could visit friends in S'pore along the way.

Ahhh, one less international carrier for TPE. Now we have more reason to choose airlines with the advanced ability to use taxiways for take-off. (SQ with great tragedy, and CI and BR without in Anchorage) Great.

Someone may jump on me for that...I suppose it could happen to anyone, and in TPE, SQ said the runway markings, lights and lack of ground radar meant TPE is not quite up to international standards. Ok, perhaps it was true then, perhaps true today. Does anyone know?

aerorobnz

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:42 am

Not really a surprise really though. Oh well hopefully BR will have better luck with their 332 flight (very nice onboard...)
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

planemanofnz

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:54 am

Quoting Aerorobnz (Reply 2):
Oh well hopefully BR will have better luck with their 332 flight (very nice onboard...)

Do Br fly to TPE from AKL now? Since when?

aerorobnz

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:25 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 3):
Do Br fly to TPE from AKL now? Since when?

Since about 3 weeks ago. I think it is only for the high season through to March, but may be permanent with this announcement. Nice new 332s these days.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

LAXintl

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:33 pm

The Taiwan market has become quite a unique one in recent year. Both from a passenger and cargo point of the view the market is quite strong, however yields are quite terrible in both areas.

The low yield environment for the most part has been created by the very high capacity China Airlines and to a lesser extent EVA Air have in the markets. Both carriers on the passenger side regularly offer as standard business practice rates that would be considered bulk rates including heavy discounts in premium classes. On the cargo side the recent sizable buildup in freighter capacity by both China Air Cargo and EVA Cargo are creating strong downward pressure on rates.

Hence, Taiwan has been a market that has experienced reductions in service by foreign passenger and cargo companies in recent years.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Kahala777

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:39 pm

This has a lot to do with NZ and their new service to Shanghai!

KAHALA777

trex8

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:36 pm

Quoting TPEcanuck (Reply 1):
Ahhh, one less international carrier for TPE. Now we have more reason to choose airlines with the advanced ability to use taxiways for take-off. (SQ with great tragedy, and CI and BR without in Anchorage) Great.

what BR incident at ANC are you talking about???

back on topic, wouldn't a flight to NZ with a stop say in Queensland (BNE, CNS etc) make more sense

TPEcanuck

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:56 pm

Hi Trex8,

The 'incident' occured on Nov 5 2005 at ANC. It has not been confirmed, but is under investigation by the NTSB. There is a thread on it in civil aviation.

Very serious if proven true.

flyinghippo

Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:30 pm

Sigh... It really makes me sad to see how far TPE has fallen out of the international travel. Before, we had BA, AA, CO, NZ, Swiss, etc, coincided with it's economy hitting on all cylinders in the late 80s and early 90s.

Now, look at TPE... NZ is pulling out completely, AA no longer flies there, NW cut it's flights, and UA no longer flies there direct... Makes me sad...

ZK-NBT

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:18 pm

It is sad.

Hopefully B might do TPE-AKL year round, I wonder if they will? So even the arrangement with BR ends? I wasn't aware of that.

IL96M

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:26 pm

Quoting TG992 (Thread starter):
It's never nice to see a destination go, and I'll miss TPE

No you won't. Taipei is an awful place - Shanghai by comparison is like NY of the East!

gardermoen

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:56 pm

Sort of expected this. I remember months ago NZ did expect to trim on loss-making routes, and I thought TPE would get the chop.

What a far cry from 1991 when the route was launched - it was a big money maker back then. NZ even went up to 4 a week I think, two non-stops and two via Brisbane.
Interesting how times have changed, for example TPE was added and ADL was dropped- now it is the exact opposite.

I hope that EVA will maintain year-round services now. I have seen their 767s at AKL on a few occasions, nice to know they have upgraded to the 330.

Other notable withdrawals from TPE are Qantas/Australian Airlines, and Lufthansa/Condor.

777ER
Crew

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:43 pm

Quoting Aerorobnz (Reply 4):
but may be permanent with this announcement

How does permanent three flights per week sound using A330s?
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

TG992
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:27 pm

For those of you wondering about the NZ/BR relationship - until 2002 NZ and BR operated a three times weekly airshare joint venture - NZ metal would operate on Monday, BR on Weds, NZ on Friday, for example. In 2002 this was replaced with a six-monthly operational rotation (NZ operated April-October, BR operated November-March)

Quoting IL96M (Reply 11):
Quoting TG992 (Thread starter):
It's never nice to see a destination go, and I'll miss TPE

No you won't. Taipei is an awful place - Shanghai by comparison is like NY of the East!

How arrogant of you to assume that your impression of Taipei is shared by everyone. On my six visits so far this year I've found it a vibrant, bustling place.

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 6):

KAHALA777

On the contrary - it has nothing to do with it. Several carriers operate to China and Taiwan without any political problems at all.
-

ZKSUJ

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:45 pm

Sad to see TPE go. Whats with us going to PVG next year? I can't seem to find info anywhere!!!

TG992
Topic Author

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:20 pm

We've applied to the appropriate regulatory authorities in China to start three times weekly service to PVG, commencing 'late' 2006 (word is November). A 777 will be used on the route.
-

flyinghippo

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:45 pm

Quoting TG992 (Reply 14):
How arrogant of you to assume that your impression of Taipei is shared by everyone. On my six visits so far this year I've found it a vibrant, bustling place.

Don't mind him, at least our airlines are making a profit.

eta unknown

Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:47 am

TG992- what are you smoking? Taipei a nice place?!? Are you kidding?
I've been to over 50 countries and the city of Taipei ranks as one of the worst on my list, after Lusaka.

B742

Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:47 am

This is old news, I mentioned this in my Eva Air post a while back!

Eva Air will use the A330-200 and take over the route from NZ...

but Air NZ will take over the route again in April, according to the schedules!

The NZ schedules show NZ 763 on the route from April!

Quoting Kahala777 (Reply 6):

Not realy as the route has nothing to do with TPE! PVG is going to be flown by the 777's not the 767's and TPE is comming back!

Rob!  wave 

kiwiandrew

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:28 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 19):
This is old news, I mentioned this in my Eva Air post a while back!

Eva Air will use the A330-200 and take over the route from NZ...

but Air NZ will take over the route again in April, according to the schedules!

The NZ schedules show NZ 763 on the route from April!

yes , but I think what you have missed is that they will not be back on the route - and that is what this topic is about - not the use of the BR A330 during the (southern) summer timetable

http://www.airnz.co.nz/aboutus/mediacentre/pressreleases/default.htm

edited to change "summer" to "(Southern) summer" to avoid confusing our Northern Hemisphere friends who have the seasons the wrong way around

[Edited 2005-11-17 21:32:56]

aerorobnz

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 10):
So even the arrangement with BR ends?

I would expect when the scheduled summer flights cease or otherwise not until the timetable changes in March.

Quoting 777ER (Reply 13):
How does permanent three flights per week sound using A330s?

The 332 flights so far haven't been particularly full despite the season, but it may be more sustainable with a base in TPE than NZ is based from here.

TG992
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:09 am

Quoting ETA Unknown (Reply 18):
I've been to over 50 countries and the city of Taipei ranks as one of the worst on my list, after Lusaka.

Yes, but my post didn't say "ETA Unknown will miss Taipei", did it?  banghead 
I'm sorry you didn't appreciate Taipei, but I did.
-

TPEcanuck

Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:57 am

Quoting ETA Unknown (Reply 18):

Quoting IL96M (Reply 11):
No you won't. Taipei is an awful place

Note sure what either of these posts have to do with the thread. Were you both frequent travellers on AKL-TPE? Is that why it's cancelled?

This is an aviation site. If you didn't enjoy Taipei, please find a site where you can post your city reviews!

In my experience, the enjoyment or lack thereof of a foreign city is more a reflection on the TRAVELLER than the destination. It's too bad that both of you missed one of Asia's more vibrant cities with a Chinese food culture second to none. But I guess you are the types of travellers who know everything about your destination within 2 minutes of leaving the jetway.

planemanofnz

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:36 pm

Sad to see NZ leave TPE. This means that untill Shanghai comes on the network in November *or around that time* next year, we will only be seeing 3 asian countries being served by NZ. On another note it is great news to see another new airline at AKL and another airline operating the A330!

777ER
Crew

Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:10 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 24):
On another note it is great news to see another new airline at AKL and another airline operating the A330!

BR is not really a new airline as BR have been operating to AKL for a few years now, previously with B763s and now A330s
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

eta unknown

Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:26 am

TPE is a smog-polluted city with virtually nothing to see. Sad, but true.

Many years ago EVA tried to lure some Royal Brunei 767 first officers (even offering them commands on MD-11's) and nobody took them up on the offer- the main reason being lack of livability in that city. And the offer was very generous- RBA pilots in the 90's had some of the best working conditions in Asia.

Also, it's well known in SQ headquarters that if the company wants to indirectly get rid of you, but legally can't fire you, they transfer you to TPE. Amazing how many resignations quickly follow. As an aside, in British Airways culture, those in the bad books are transfered to the staff travel dept.

flyinghippo

Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:38 am

Quoting ETA Unknown (Reply 26):
TPE is a smog-polluted city with virtually nothing to see. Sad, but true.

So I guess you don't like LA, NY, Hong Kong, MEX, GRU, DEL, BOM, PEK, PVG, etc., etc. eh? All of these cities have air polution problems and smoggs, and not don't exactly have a breath taking view of mother nature.

I agree with what TPEcanuck that it all depends on the TRAVELLER to enjoy a foriegn city, and by what "fun" you're looking for in a city.

eta unknown

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:42 am

Actually Hippo, all those cities have things to see, so that compensates for the black smog. By the way, LAX/NYC/HKG/DEL/PEK/PVG are brilliant- there is no comparason to TPE. Can't comment on GRU/MEX, but they're on my wish-list.

vincewy

Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:44 pm

Quoting ETA Unknown (Reply 28):
Can't comment on GRU/MEX, but they're on my wish-list.

I've been to both MEX and TPE (I'm on vacation here now), you must be smoking, especially comparing Lusaka with TPE, how long have you actually been here, I guess you're ignorant/arrogant enough that your minds are already made up.

TPEcanuck

Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:05 am

ETA,

I'm not arguing! You certainly have a right to your opinion. But I would like to extend an invitation to you to come to Taipei so I can show you what you are missing.

Things to see? Did you see the National Palace Museum? One of the main repositories of priceless Chinese art. For nature, did you go to the tea plantations near Muja? Even accessible by subway! For food, the night markets, any of the 1000s of great restaurants! How about Yei Lio on the NE Coast? Jiu Fen? All of these places are a hop from Taipei...

You may also be basing your assessment on old information. Taipei has changed a lot and so has the air. Certainly not perfect, but massively improved too! Anyhow, I'm not stirring the pot! Every place has its attractions...and honestly...Taiwan more than a few! I think instead of disparaging a city that is home to millions of people on an aviation website, you owe it to yourself to check it out! I don't work for the Taiwan tourism connection, but you certainly have not seen the real Taipei!

And...I'm from Vancouver...the city ranked #1 in terms of livability..and I work in urban planning.....I know what I'm talking about when I say you've missed the real Taipei! Hop over on your way to HKG next time, spend a day here!

Cheers everyone!