Aer Lingus
Topic Author

Regional Jet Performance

Sun May 21, 2000 6:46 am

Now I've noticed that although the ERJ-145 and Do-328 Jet are classified as regional jets, their capabilities do not seem to match that name. For example, the BAe 146 can fly into London City Airport with a runway less than 4,000 ft and it is a much larger aircraft. My question is, How Come ?
Are their Vref (Landing Speed) & Vr (Take-off Speed) higher and therefore require longer rolling distances or are the brakes on the 146 more efficient ?

P.S. I also have a question regarding "Becoming a Pilot", and I would appreciate any guidance regarding this subject

RE: Regional Jet Performance

Sun May 21, 2000 7:17 am

I think it's really the BAe146/RJ being a very special aircraft, rather than the others lacking. It has huge flaps and big lateral airbrakes, and wheels with very powerful brakes, although no reverse thrust. The F70, which can also fly out of LCY, has the same attributes.

The ERJ-145 sit's closer to the ground, so the flaps are smaller, and there the design of the fuselage doesn't allow lateral airbrakes since it's based on the EMB-120. Many airlines also specify their aircraft without reverse-thrust, as they usually don't need it and it adds weight and complexity. Couldn't really tell you about the Do428