phxflyer

Seating Questions - America West CRJ-900

Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:18 am

Hi everyone... I'll be flying SAT-PHX and back this coming week. I'm on a CRJ-900 each way and am currently seated in 2F for both flights. I've had some bad luck on this airplane before in terms of getting stuck in seats without windows, so I wanted to invoke the expertise of you good folks.  Smile I've looked at seatguru.com for advice, but these planes aren't listed on the site.

1) Can anyone offer some advice on where the better seats are in terms of the view (or conversely, where the seats with the bad views are)?

2) Also, do the exit row seats on the CRJ-900 offer substantially more legroom than the other seats on the plane?

Thanks in advance.
Alex

Dakar

RE: Seating Questions - America West CRJ-900

Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:42 am

I was on a CRJ-700 United Express last week in row 12, which was the overwing exit. Leg room was better than standard rows but still not enough to be really comfortable.

Nick

legendDC9

Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:50 am

Quoting Dakar (Reply 1):
I was on a CRJ-700 United Express last week in row 12, which was the overwing exit. Leg room was better than standard rows but still not enough to be really comfortable.

... ummm... Did you read the question? Wasn't it about CRJ-900 on HP and not CRJ-700 on UA? I'm not sure why you felt it neccessary to respond...

Exit rows on the HP -900's are rows 15-16 and do offer much more legroom than the other rows but with unmovebale solid armrests, the seats themselves are quite narrow. There are 22 rows on this aircraft and you don't really want to seat anywhere behind row 12 in terms of view. (no row 13 btw). Other than that, it's still an RJ... window seats are not comfortable to begin with due to the low windows and the curvature of the fuselage that gives you about 25% less legroom than the aisle seats. I think that about covers that.

RIOJANEIRO

Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:06 am

If I'm not mistaken, when the CR-9's were reconfigured to an all coach config(from 6 FC/68 Y.. I think), the seat row placements were not in line with the windows. If I can remember, I believe that all the rows from the overwing exit forward have an extremely odd configuration with the windows directly between the rows of seats, which makes spotting nearly impossible from these windows. Try to get one of the seats behind the overwing if you want to see any scenery at all. This is because the extra leg room at the overwing exits somehow put the seat row placement/window placement back in synch.

And, btw, these newer RJ's don't have the cramped shoulder-height windows that the CR2's had; they have definitely been moved up for better viewing as well as inflight illumination, signage, etc that puts some of the older HP 737's to shame!
Have a great trip to SAT; you'll be flying over El Paso and paralleling a lot of I-10, especially from Tucson to El Paso, then out over the ever-reaching expanse of West Texas.