AA Involves Unions To Head Off Labor Conflict

Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:31 am

Courtesy: The Associated Press & KRIS-TV

American Airlines Involves Unions To Head Off Labor Conflict

http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4144389

Sean-SAN-

RE: AA Involves Unions To Head Off Labor Conflict

Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:16 am

Quite surprising... it was only 3 years ago that AA had one of the worse mgmt/employee relationships. I hope AA can make it work!

StevenUhl777

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:18 pm

I really have to hand it to Gerald Arpey...it's his cooperative attitude and willingness to work together that has set the tone at AA, and look where it's got them...they (for now) are much better off than UA, NW, DL, and even CO.

Being the UA supporter that I am, I must say that as someone who believes in working together, I really hope Mr. Arpey's approach succeeds at AA. If they can avoid bitter labor disputes and bankruptcy, it's going to make NW and DL (and even UA) look like fools for having to resort to Ch. 11.

[Edited 2005-11-21 04:18:43]
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

AirRyan

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:40 pm

Quoting Sean-SAN- (Reply 1):
Quite surprising... it was only 3 years ago that AA had one of the worse mgmt/employee relationships. I hope AA can make it work!

Amazing how NW's "bust" of their AMFA mechanics union has ripple effects throughout the industry, isn't it?

BigGSFO

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:47 pm

Is this making a difference with employee morale? Just curious as I make no claim to have any insider knowledge, but I would like to think this effort with management to work closer with the unions (at a legacy) would encourage the workforce.

Can any AA employees comment?

MarshalN

Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:23 pm

I also think it is the environment -- knowing that you work for a stable company that's not sinking in this day and age can really help morale.

qqflyboy

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:53 pm

Quoting StevenUhl777 (Reply 2):
Gerald Arpey

It's Gerard, not Gerald. I only bring it up because Gerald appears just as often as Gerard in news stories about AA. Not to be too anal, but I even wrote USA Today when they got it wrong for the thousandth time a few months back.

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 4):
Is this making a difference with employee morale?

Absolutely. There is a lot more trust in what the company is doing and that is leading to increased morale. For the flight attendants, which I am one so this is where I am most knowledgeable, the company has made changes to things that improve our working schedule, have made commuting easier and recently agreed to longer layovers, back up from the FAA minimum of eight hours. They are doing their best to make productive, meaningful changes that won't cost the company but improve conditions, and therefore morale, for flight attendants. I can only imagine that is happening in other departments too.

I wish I had a link, but I read a news article recently in which Gordon Bethune, former CEO of CO and famed turnaround man, was asked for his thoughts on AA's recent successes in the employee/management relationship. He said, "They finally got it." Coming from him, that was clear affirmation AA is on the right track in this area. I highly respect what he did with CO and his approval of AA's plan is encouraging.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

LMP737

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:06 am

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 3):
Amazing how NW's "bust" of their AMFA mechanics union has ripple effects throughout the industry, isn't it?

Actually this all began soon after Mr. Arpey took the helm two years ago. In addition it's a two way street. Unlike some companies those upstairs at AA realized that the stick method might work short term but in the long term it ends up causing more problems.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.