Buyantukhaa

Woman Admits Trying To Open Plane Door For Smoke

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:08 pm

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4456076.stm´

A French woman has admitted attempting to open an airplane door mid-flight so that she could smoke a cigarette.
Sandrine Helene Sellies, 34, who has a fear of flying, had drunk alcohol and taken sleeping tablets ahead of the flight from Hong Kong to Brisbane.

She was seen on the Cathay Pacific plane walking towards a door with an unlit cigarette and a lighter.

She then began tampering with the emergency exit until she was stopped by a flight attendant.

[...]

She pleaded guilty to endangering the safety of an aircraft at Brisbane Magistrates Court and was given a 12-month A$1,000 (£429) good behaviour bond - she will forfeit the money if she commits another offence.

[...]
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

Eirjet

RE: Woman Admits Trying To Open Plane Door For Smoke

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:15 pm

Why oh why do people like this exist.

I watched a program a number of years ago and it showed a flight attendent selling duty-free cigarettes to a female passenger, as soon as the paasenger received the cigarettes she began to complain as to why she was not allowed have one. The complaining went on for a few moments until the quick witted flight attendant responsed:

"Miss, not only do we sell cigarettes, but we also sell condoms, however just because we sell them doesn't mean we let you use them on the plane!"

The passenger didn't respond.

Eirjet
Aviation has a 100% record, we've never left one up there......

flyAUA

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:17 pm

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Thread starter):

Sheesh! How stupid can you get!?  banghead 

This is why some people need to LISTEN  listen  during the cabin crew pre-flight briefing!
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

joshdean

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:18 pm

You beat me to it. Just saw it on the BBC site. Some people have no sense.

EI747SYDNEY

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:21 pm

I'v heard that some people out there do indeed smoke on flights and that have not got caught.

Denis Leary (actor) was on Irish National broadcaster RTE (Radio Telifis Eireann) and said he had smoked on an Aer Lingus scheduled flight from Boston (A330) and never got caught. He said that none of the smoke alarms ever work??

Comments.........

Rob  wave 
''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

noelg

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:26 pm

She would not have been able to open the door anyway - it is impossible to open a cabin door in flight due to the pressure on the inside of the plane and the way the door is sealed...

Silly cow - she was probably going to sit out on the wing.

klmcedric

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:45 pm

I once had a women(enroute NBO) who was trying to open the door thinking
it was a toilet!

Maersk737

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:01 pm

What can a man say? The "brain" of a woman works in mysterious ways Big grin

Cheers

Peter
I'm not proud to be a Viking, just thankfull

MATURRO727

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:10 pm

Hey.

Do you see how bad is a cigarette?LOL it kills you one way or another, doesn't matter

Cheers

manni

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:12 pm

How gentle of her, thinking of the other passengers and going outside for a smoke. Did she get upgraded afterwards?  Wink
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

richardw

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:19 pm

Quoting Eirjet (Reply 1):
watched a program a number of years ago and it showed a flight attendent selling duty-free cigarettes to a female passenger, as soon as the paasenger received the cigarettes she began to complain as to why she was not allowed have one. The complaining went on for a few moments until the quick witted flight attendant responsed:

"Miss, not only do we sell cigarettes, but we also sell condoms, however just because we sell them doesn't mean we let you use them on the plane!"

This is from the first series of Airline UK, the base airport was MAN, the airline Britannia and the cabin crew member BJ. Often repeated on Sky Travel in the UK.

He said Boots sell condoms but they don't let you use them in the shop.

ba757

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:20 pm

I watched a program a number of years ago and it showed a flight attendent selling duty-free cigarettes to a female passenger, as soon as the paasenger received the cigarettes she began to complain as to why she was not allowed have one. The complaining went on for a few moments until the quick witted flight attendant responsed:

That was in some of the first series of Airline, when the male F/A worked for BY. A great come back line that was by him though.

I also for some bizarre reason, remember he had a tennis accident... Smile

Adam

ba757

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:21 pm

Ah you beat me to it by a few seconds!

Quoting Richardw (Reply 10):
BJ

interesting name for a male F/A...  Smile

Adam

Glareskin

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:28 pm

Hmm, I wonder why that is. The use of condoms doesn't smell half as bad as cigarette smoke.....
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

TheSorcerer

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:33 pm

I would have thought it's common sense that opening an A/C door at cruise altitude is a bad idea. Wouldn't the cabin crew have noticed that she was pissed?

The Sorcerer
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

ba757

Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:00 am

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 14):
I would have thought it's common sense that opening an A/C door at cruise altitude is a bad idea. Wouldn't the cabin crew have noticed that she was pissed?

Hasn't it been discussed many times in the past on here, that its actually not possible to open an airliner door at altitude. Something to do with them been a plug door or something.

Might search one of those past threads out.

Adam

[Edited 2005-11-21 16:07:32]

sevenair

Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:04 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 12):

interesting name for a male F/A..

hehe sure is!!

i remember the lady in question-she was rough as a badgers'!!

iairallie

Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:49 am

The doors shouldn't open when the cabin is pressurized however on some aircraft (DC-10, MD-11 are two) if you pull the handle in flight it blows out the compressed air which activates the slide raft in emergency mode. So if she were on that type of ac and pulled a handle then the door would be rendered useless if needed in an evacuation.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!