firiko

Why Did THY Pull Out From South Africa?

Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:47 am

Anybody know why Turkish Airlines pulled out of South Africa ? I was told that it was because Nelson Mandella didn't except an award named after "Ataturk" Founder of Modern Turkey. If that is really the case why are they trying to launch flights again. Any ideas ?

LAXintl

RE: Why Did THY Pull Out From South Africa?

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:23 am

THY withdrew following the Southern 2002 summer. The primary reason was more commercial then anything. Air carrier service to South Africa had increased significantly during the previous years dumping lots of seats in the market driving down yields. In addition the worldwide decline in travel following 9/11 further hurt the routes performance.

Overall with a rebound of worldwide travel, and a stabilization of service to South Africa the carrier now feels it can successfully operate the route again. While there is minimal O&D between Turkey and South Africa, THY can leverage it Istanbul hub to provide a wide range of connection opportunities.

As far as the Nelson Mandela and Ataturk award story, it dates back to the early 1990s when Nelson Mandela refused the award on grounds the then ANC leader felt Turkey itself was a form of apartheid state for its treatment of its minorities. Since then however Mr Mandela has apologized and recognized the award itself named after modern Turkeys founder Kemal Ataturk is reflective and tribute to Turkeys continued advancement and modernity, and was meant to show Turkey's respect to Mandela himself and the South African people.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

firiko

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:34 pm

Thanks for the perfect answer. I realised that you know alot about Turkish Airlines. Excuse my ignorance but do you actually work for them ?

emrecan

Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:07 pm

THY is planning to fly Johannesburg again. I guess they are checking the market for the time being as well as waiting for their planes.

BTW you like conspiracy theories I guess  

[Edited 2005-11-23 14:11:14]

robcol99

Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:25 pm

As far as I know from the insiders, A340 was basically too big for the route. I think with the arrival of A330s though, the route can now be profitable. With positive economic outlook for both Turkey and South Africa, I also heard that THY is seriously considering getting back there.

I dont knw if they would fly IST-JNB-CPT this time though, the route can end at JNB.

Cheers

A388

Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:00 am

Laxintl knows a lot about Turkish aviation, he and Gokmengs are my 'go-to' people when it comes down to Turkish aviation. Good luck to Türk Hava Yollari Big grin

A388