rootsair

KLM A/c Order Policy: A Good One IMO!

Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:58 pm

In my opinion, KLM seems to have a pretty good policy regarding aircraft orders.

They ordered the DC10, A310 and MD 11 before they first flew. As you know both DC 10's(arrived in 1972 in KLM) and MD 11(arrived in 1993) had many problems in their first years and the MD 11 proved not to be as performant as MD had said.....did this explain their new policy.?..

The 767-300 ER arrived in 1995, 9 years after it started flying, the 777 in 2003, 8 years after starting to fly, and the A332 in 2005, 8 years after it started flying....

I guess this gave KLM enough time to evaluate the A/c, make sure of its performance and be sure no bad surprises will occur. Seeing so many airlines order the A380, 787, A350, etc before they were even made(and sometimes even launched) I wonder if they don't take big risks..... in this sense KLM's policy seems to be excellent and could save them several millions of dollars and delays..

what's your opinion

Regards

BM

[Edited 2005-11-23 16:13:18]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

CHRISBA777ER

RE: KLM A/c Order Policy: A Good One IMO!

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:00 am

Nice original idea for a thread. Good effort.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

imatams

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:57 am

I agree with you to some extend, however that policy does have it's drawbacks: In general newer aircraft are more fuel-effecient, more comfortable and cheaper to operate than older ones, so postponing new aircraft does mean that, although you avoid nasty surprises and teething problems, you do end up with aircraft that are potentially more expensive to operate and less appealing than the competition. Good example is the 767. By only buying 777's and 332's this late they did end up now operating 767's that are kind of old, tired and interior-wise not up-to-date (although thats their own fault too, they could have done more to keep them in better shape)

IM

lamedianaranja

Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:07 am

KLM has made it its explicit policy not to buy newly developed aircraft anymore. I've heard CEO Peter Hartman say words to this extent. The reason is like RootsAir says, it's better to have other airlines try out the new models and buy only proven ones.
So now they're buying more B737's and trying to get more F100's. Very nice!
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

mauriceb

Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:47 am

same goes for A350 and 787.... the reason KLM will keep its MD-11 atleast untill 2012 , is that they want to eveluate both planes on a fare base, wich can only been done good when they have both flown...

jwenting

Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:43 am

Bit of a shame really. KLM used to be an innovator.
They were among the launch customers for a long line of aircraft all the way from the 1920s.
In some cases they were the only operators (like the Fokker F-VIII), or all but (like the DC-5, yes it existed)  Smile
I wish I were flying

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:22 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 5):
In some cases they were the only operators (like the Fokker F-VIII), or all but (like the DC-5, yes it existed)

I'm sensing more reasons for their conservative policy.

Remember Eastern once upon a time had this same policy. And look what happened to them when they were the last major to have jets! Ok, while I do not think such a technological leap is about to happen just now, it does limit their competitiveness. For instance, if EK pulls off their current expansion... KLM will fall a little behind.

In my humble opinion, the best strategy for an airline is to be a launch customer, but not for year one or two. From my experience, the first 18 months are the toughest time for the launch customers. IIRC these airframes have the worst resale too. (E.g., imagine the poor resale on B6's E190's if they hadn't bought the AR and that turned out to be the version everyone wanted...)

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

keesje

Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:42 am

KLM was launch customer for the CF6 on the 747, an early 744 customer and recently launched the Boeing EFB and some 777 overhead cabin mods becoming standard since then. Also early/launch customer for F70/100, 744ERF, 739.

Aircraft manufacturers like to have majors as launch customers because they can have an active contribution in maturing aircraft more rapidly.

That said KLM is in general conservative on innovations, so if innovations are introduced they make sure there are fall back scenarios.

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

aviopic

Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:08 am

Quoting Keesje (Reply 7):
That said KLM is in general conservative on innovations, so if innovations are introduced they make sure there are fall back scenarios.

Looking back in the past this attitude is very un-KLM and i would alomst say un-Dutch.
1920 launch customer Fokker F2(H-NABC)
1921 launch customer Fokker F3(H-NABG)
1924 launch customer Fokker C2(H-NABX)
1924 launch customer Fokker F7(H-NACC)
1925 launch customer Fokker F7a(H-NACT)
1927 launch customer Fokker F8(H-NADU)
1929 launch customer Fokker F9(PH-AGA)
1931 launch customer Fokker F12(PH-AFL)
1932 launch customer Fokker F18(PH-AIO)
1933 launch customer Fokker F20(PH-AIZ)
1935 launch customer Fokker F22(PH-AJP)
1935 launch customer Fokker F36(PH-AJA)

I wander where the old Dutch salesman spirit has gone.
Our country did not become to what it is today by watching others.
Next step is probably playing football like the others do, that's going to be borring. Big grin

Willem
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

JRadier

Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:29 am

As you might see that is a list of fokker aircraft a very long time ago. That days it was all about your own country (as opposed to 'buy the best' nowdays), so it is no real surprise. Not really worth to compare those 2, as the times were very difirent back then.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

aviopic

Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:49 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 9):
As you might see that is a list of fokker aircraft a very long time ago. That days it was all about your own country (as opposed to 'buy the best' nowdays), so it is no real surprise. Not really worth to compare those 2, as the times were very difirent back then.

That's true of course but I only published the Fokker list because that's the data I have.
I don't know what else they have done in the past and was kind of hoping somebody else would fill the gaps.

I do know a more recent one though.
- As been said KL was not the first to buy T7's but they did buy them with a brand new airco system and guess what........... massive problems in the beginning upto people fainting.
- as we know they were not launching customers for the F100 but when they did order they wanted all kind of options nobody else had and guess what.........

So whether you are launch customer or not does not say you are not launching........ it will always depend on the config you want.

Quoting JRadier (Reply 9):
as opposed to 'buy the best' nowdays

I am sorry but "buy best" is something for romantic dreamers, it does not work that way these days.
The truth lives in one’s mind, it doesn’t really exist

Plane Holland

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:07 am

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 1):
Nice original idea for a thread. Good effort.

please...... if you don't have anything to say, then just say nothing at all..

what's wrong with this thread, people can't help it if they're not spending all their time on this forum and know about every subject that has ever been discussed..

jwenting

Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:41 pm

KLM was also among the launc customers for the DC-3, DC-5, DC-6 (I think), Constellation, Super Constellation, 747-200, 747-300, they pretty much requested the stretched upper deck mod for the 742, the combi version, etc. etc.
I wish I were flying

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos