Aleksandar
Topic Author

China Southern To Tehran

Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:44 pm

According to Iranian website, China Southern will start flying once a week to Tehran. Unfortunately, as all of you can see, the article does mention the traffic growth between China and Iran, but gives very little about that new service except that those flight will be on Saturdays.
http://www.mehrnews.ir/en/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsID=258645
I tried to find out more on China Southern's website, but they don't mention it all and all I could find is that Iran Air already flies to Beijing twice a week with 747SP.

I suppose that China Southern will fly from Beijing (I doubt it will be Guangzhou), but can someone confirm it? Also, what type of airplane does Chinese airline plan to use on this route?

[Edited 2005-11-27 05:50:18]
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

AMS

RE: China Southern To Tehran

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:14 pm

It sounds that this 'new' route is rather a political one then one for demand. The same thing with the 2 weekly flights from THR to Narita in Japan. Most of these flights are quite empty, only because Japan has some sort of oil agreement with Iran. There is a small community of Iranians in Japan, but do not cover 2 747 flights a week.

Regards,
AMS

LAXintl

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:46 pm

Funny, there was an article in either the WSJ or NY Times a little while back talking about the growing problem of illegal Iranian immigrants in the Far East, particularly in Japan, Korea and China.
In Japan's specific case the article made mention until of recent Iranians could visit without a visa. Many of these however were not your typical migrants, but very educated ones including doctors, engineers and architects, whom decided to stay and found illegall employement.

Who knows, maybe China Southern senses there is growing demand for this one-way market  Wink
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

irelayer

Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:09 pm

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 2):
Funny, there was an article in either the WSJ or NY Times a little while back talking about the growing problem of illegal Iranian immigrants in the Far East, particularly in Japan, Korea and China.
In Japan's specific case the article made mention until of recent Iranians could visit without a visa. Many of these however were not your typical migrants, but very educated ones including doctors, engineers and architects, whom decided to stay and found illegall employement.

Who knows, maybe China Southern senses there is growing demand for this one-way market

Actually that is not a bad guess. Iran suffers one of the biggest "brain drains" of any country on the planet. They get educated in Iran and the best of them end up going overseas, mostly to the US and Western Europe.

-IR