Beaucaire
Topic Author

You Want To See A Real Biiiiig Airport...

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:06 am

A little crazy in it's dimensions ( six runways..), 120 Million passengers capacity...room for 300 x A380 class aircraft....
First runway finished,second on the run...

-Jebel Ali Airport-
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

DavidT

RE: You Want To See A Real Biiiiig Airport...

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:08 am

Now THAT is what I call an airport!  Smile

Lumberton

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:09 am

Will nicely complement that massive sea port they have there.

Is Emirates going to re-locate there?
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

jamesbuk

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:10 am

Now that it is a HUGE airport but most of the runways look as if there facing in one direction which in theory would be unnecesary
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

DfwRevolution

Six parallel runways and 8 terminals? Looks like a hybrid of DFW and ATL on steroids...

B742

Pathetic, look at how small it is  Wink

What will happen to the current DXB airport?

Why build a new airport, arn't they already adding a new concourse to the current DXB airport?

When will Jebel Ali Airport be finished?

More info here:
http://www.dubaiairport.com/DIA/Engl...Airport+News/Jebel+Ali+Airport.htm

Rob!  wave 

wingman

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:11 am

I hope I never have to connect a flight in an airport that big as long as I live, just take me directly to my destination please.

Vasu

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:15 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 5):
Why build a new airport, arn't they already adding a new concourse to the current DXB airport?

It does seem a bit stupid doesn't it?

Anyone out there know the answer?

Newark777

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:16 am

It has to be at least .... three times that size!

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

cainanuk

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:20 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 5):

Because they have money to burn
Cainan Cornelius

md80fanatic

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:21 am

LOL Harry!!! Perfect timing for that comment.  Big grin

ETStar

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:25 am

Quoting Wingman (Reply 6):
I hope I never have to connect a flight in an airport that big as long as I live, just take me directly to my destination please.

I am sure you will change your mind once it is operational. It would be something like Vegas at the airport, and will definitely change the flight connection experience.

I have also been wondering about what is to happen to DXB, especially with the current expansion well under way. Does the new airport intend to cater for multiple emirates as opposed to being only for DXB? Considering the orders that EK keeps on placing and with no end in sight for that, EK would be left without more room at DXB.

Ari

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:28 am

is that the cargo apron towards the top right of the airport?!if so...it looks huge!well....i can't wait to see it finished!

aRi

Brasuca

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:29 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Thread starter):

Thanks for posting. It's impressive!

Quoting B742 (Reply 5):

This new concourse will cope with growth while Jebel Ali won't be ready.

Hasn't someone mentioned before that the current DXB airport will handle the low-cost version of Emirates and other LCC companies, such as Air Arabia?

I hope to get lots of connections at Jebel Ali as long as I live! Big grin
They are not stupid to build an airport that big without facilities to move around.
Varig, Varig, Varig

BigGSFO

Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:53 am

All of this frantic expansion for EK and Dubai. Is it just me or does anyone else see it as way too much way too quickly? Can they possibly ever hope to maximize usage of all of EK's jumbos and this new gigantic airport?

pavlin

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:20 am

It sure is big. When will it be finished?

Byrdluvs747

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:23 am

Why can't we get airports like that in the states?  Wink
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

piercey

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:26 am

And I thought Americans took everything to excess.....  stirthepot   flamed 
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

modernArt

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:39 am

just take me directly to my destination please.

That's what the 787 will do...overfly these concrete montrosities.

AAgent

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:40 am

It has been said that one's obsession with excess implies that they are attempting to focus attention away from other areas in which they may be lacking. What exactly could the UAE be trying to compensate for? This airport is crazy huge!

Best Regards,
AAgent
War Eagle!

cschleic

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:52 am

Interesting how a plane will be able to taxi to any runway (out around the ends) without crossing any runway. The Royal Hangars and related grounds are a nice touch.

Concorde001

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:53 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Thread starter):
Beaucaire

Many thanks for a great picture.
http://www.sme.sk/cdata/2475878/20051121015_Dubai_big.jpg
Man, its huuuuuuuggeee!

GQfluffy

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:54 am

Hope they never have any crosswinds there...
This isn't where I parked my car...

Stitch

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:58 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 16):
Why can't we get airports like that in the states?

DEN probably has enough acerage to do it. Plus they have like six or seven runways in play.  Wink

flyabunch

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:58 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 16):
Why can't we get airports like that in the states?

The last thing we need in the states is an airport that big. It would just mean we would have to put up with another giant hub. In my experience, the larger the hub, the bigger the hassles. There is not a city that could support this as a OD type airport. Too big.

Plus to get an airport that big approved, it would have to be in the middle of nowhere. No one would want that thing in their backyard (NIMBY).

I would rather see more modern (read safer) airports with multiple runways to handle peak loads better than they do now.

Mike

brokenrecord

Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:06 am

That is a massive place...

Is that guy in the black and gold HH The Emir?

vinniewinnie

Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:17 am

Impressive indeed!

I find it rather strange that they have included grass about everywhere!

Don't tell me they will employ 1 gardener for every small patch of sand!  Smile

malaysia

Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:38 am

Quoting Brasuca (Reply 13):
They are not stupid to build an airport that big without facilities to move around.

Will they use mobile lounges? hehe bad idea.

Maybe they will have de-icing due to the fake snow city that Dubai plans to build too.

the big loops near the runways remind me of WWII where the B-17/B-29s would all line up for take off. I sure hope I am not stuck on that loop with 20 jets waiting to take off even if 6 runways are used.

Dubai should have built an airport underground, with holes in the ground for the plane to enter to land. that would be cool! and build a big Duty free Mall over it.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Cadet57

Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:42 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 8):
It has to be at least .... three times that size!

Harry

i dont get it.

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 27):
Dubai should have built an airport underground, with holes in the ground for the plane to enter to land. that would be cool! and build a big Duty free Mall over it

What are you smoking buddy?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

malaysia

Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:51 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 28):

What are you smoking buddy?

Its not me smoking, its just the wildest business ideas that Dubai has come up with for the future, especially that indoor Ski Mountan resort.... the list keeps going on. also the private islands man made and shaped like a palm tree that you soon can own.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

BG777300ER

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:12 am

Dubai should have built an airport underground, with holes in the ground for the plane to enter to land. that would be cool! and build a big Duty free Mall over it.

Even though its never gonna happen, that does actually sound really cool. Anyway, is it just me, or is the positioning of these runways really stupid. First, they are all facing the same way, which could mean planes crossing each others paths on takeoff. Also, isn't it good to have runways facing different directions (crosswind and stuff..yeah). Also, if there are a lot of planes waiting for one runway, wouldnt' that congest the path to the middle and farther away runway. I think the positioning of the runways is really stupid but hey, what do I know right!
Koi mi sra v gashtite?

jacobin777

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:15 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 29):
Its not me smoking, its just the wildest business ideas that Dubai has come up with for the future, especially that indoor Ski Mountan resort.... the list keeps going on. also the private islands man made and shaped like a palm tree that you soon can own.

the island is mostly sold out, especially the good property..

I was on an AF flight from CDG-DXB-CDG.....60-70% of the pax were French!

I was speaking to an AA f/a who is French, she was telling me how the French rave about going to the Middle East, especially Dubai for vacation......

is Dubai expanding too fast? Possibly, but give them credit for not sitting around their bums....they have basically no manufacturing or natural resources, so they are doing the best with what they have (ie.-great weather, centrally located "hub" for pax to connect, making it easier for non residents of the Emirates to own property, etc.).
"Up the Irons!"

Glom

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:26 am

Quoting BG777300ER (Reply 30):
First, they are all facing the same way, which could mean planes crossing each others paths on takeoff.

The idea is the exact opposite. It keeps the traffic flow orderly.

Also, isn't it good to have runways facing different directions (crosswind and stuff..yeah).

Aircraft today can handle huge crosswinds and if anything is that bad, aircraft shouldn't really be flying at all.

Also, if there are a lot of planes waiting for one runway, wouldnt' that congest the path to the middle and farther away runway.

That's what the big loopy taxiways are for.

Byrdluvs747

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:39 am

One thing I wonder is how stable is Dubai? We are talking about the middle east here.

I could see a large scale Al Qaeda attack bringing down this house of cards. As Dubai caters more and more to "western infidels" I could see it becoming a target.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

Brasuca

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:08 am

Will they use mobile lounges? hehe bad idea.

Lounges don't travel. Passengers do!

Quoting Glom (Reply 32):
The idea is the exact opposite. It keeps the traffic flow orderly.

Good observation! If air traffic of departures and arrivals at Jebel Ali flows particularly in one direction, it will be easier to handle it, with only two particular points of interception.
How many simultaneous take-off and landing would it be possible there?

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 31):
give them credit for not sitting around their bums....they have basically no manufacturing or natural resources, so they are doing the best with what they have

Another good remark of yours! Some people fail to recognise they're doing what most of Western countries don't do: growing for the future (sustainable development).

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 33):
I could see a large scale Al Qaeda attack bringing down this house of cards. As Dubai caters more and more to "western infidels" I could see it becoming a target.

Don't be too American!
Varig, Varig, Varig

garpd

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:33 am

eyepopping  Hot dang that mother's huge! It'll be a destination in itself!
Never mind flying there to get a coach to your holiday resort... the airport IS your resort.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

DeltaGuy

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:41 am

Looks like an ATL knockoff to me  Wink

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

jacobin777

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:05 am

Quoting Brasuca (Reply 34):

Another good remark of yours! Some people fail to recognise they're doing what most of Western countries don't do: growing for the future (sustainable development).

thanks.... Smile
"Up the Irons!"

United_fan

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:05 am

How would you like to get the concrete contract for that job  Smile ?
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

b6sea

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:10 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 28):
i dont get it.

Watch ZOOLANDER... you'll get it.

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 33):
One thing I wonder is how stable is Dubai? We are talking about the middle east here.

They've been doing the whole tourism thing for some time now and I dont think they're going to have a problem with terrorism. One thing to remember about countries with terrorist problems is there is usually a large (usually unhappy) lower class made up of non-imigrants, Dubai doesnt have this, for the most part the citizens of Dubai are taken care of and dont want to become suicide bombers etc... also seems to me like I've read that Dubai isnt above bribery to keep them out as a last resort.

On a slightly more positive note, I honestly dont see the need for an airport of this magnitude... Yes I do see the need for an airport of say 60-80 million passengers just not 120. In another post someone suggested that it be for the whole United Arab Emirates and I think they may be right because honestly even I dont see that much growth in Dubai's future. One thing I hope to hear in the future................CLICK " you are now boarding and Emirates 787 flight ### nonstop service from Seattle Tacoma international airport to Dubai, United Arab Emirates.....and then I woke up.

-Chans

ScottB

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:12 am

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but this doesn't look any bigger than ATL with two more concourses and one more runway (once the new 5th runway goes into operation). At least as far as the passenger terminal design goes, it is virtually identical, and ATL has plans to open an additional concourse/terminal east of the current complex, as well as a new terminal on the west side (and south of the current complex).

Moreover, DFW already has seven runways (with room for more), DEN has six (with room for 12 at full buildout), and the IAH master plan contemplates seven runways and a larger terminal complex as well. ORD will have six parallel runways when it is rebuilt.

It looks comparable to the largest airports in the U.S., but certainly not unprecedented in scale. ATL is likely to handle close to 90 million passengers this year; with even modest growth of 2-3% per year, ATL could reach 120 million passengers by the middle of the next decade.

YULWinterSkies

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:13 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 37):
Quoting Brasuca (Reply 34):
thanks.... 

Please explain me how Dubai's development is "sustainable"?
When I doubt... go running!

AirEMS

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:14 am

I thought size didn't matter?!?  tapedshut 

Quoting AAgent (Reply 19):
It has been said that one's obsession with excess implies that they are attempting to focus attention away from other areas in which they may be lacking.

IMO I think that we could call it over excess if they said that all the aircraft that want to land must be rollin on 24's with the wheels that keep spining when the plane stops

Fly Safe
-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

Brasuca

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:15 am

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 41):
Please explain me how Dubai's development is "sustainable"

Not Dubai's, but Western countries'.
Varig, Varig, Varig

EZEIZA

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:18 am

Wow! huge airport indeed! How long would it take to connect from one terminal to the other though?  Wink
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

juventus

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:21 am

I've got to get into the oil business

rdwelch

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:50 am

People, the only thing I have to say, is that I love this industry. All of us can't help but get goose bumps with jet fumes and aircraft landing and taking off. Heck, just taxing is a thrill sometimes. With an airport or rather "worldport" of this size, can you imagine the spotting possibilities? Ok, I'm done. Anyone got a towel?
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

omoo

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:21 am

Quoting B6sea (Reply 39):
On a slightly more positive note, I honestly dont see the need for an airport of this magnitude... Yes I do see the need for an airport of say 60-80 million passengers just not 120. In another post someone suggested that it be for the whole United Arab Emirates and I think they may be right because honestly even I dont see that much growth in Dubai's future.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

You are right, what really warrants such a huge expansion other than to appear on record books? i mean lets be realistic...most passengers are turned off by massive airports...
Fly Air Popobawa

centrair

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:24 am

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 41):
Please explain me how Dubai's development is "sustainable"?

I don't know about sustainable, but the oil ain't gonna be there forever. And if I remember, Dubai was never rich in oil but was a fishing town and port. Other parts of the UAE had oil.

Look at HKG. Great Airport. Hong Kong doesn't make anything. No manufacturing. Its a trade and banking city. Tourism is huge. They had to make due with what they have and look to the future.

Dubai is doing the same. Most of the UAE is desert. Limited food and arable land. By developing the country first to the Ultra Rich with the hotels and then with the Palms and Palms II they start a new economy. Next they have Dubailand or whatever its called to get the middle income tourists. They can not only build up an economy that will last longer than oil, but also provides work and money for increasing luxury goods and needs (food) for its residents.

The problem with this expansion is the environment. Dubai ran into problems when the Palms were built. It killed off some reefs and thus the fish population. This also hurt the diving and snorkling businesses...no fish...just sand. Dubai is now trying to create eco-tourism on top of its mass tourism appeal.

Is it sustainable...who knows. Do they need an airport that large...I don't think so. In the current market yes. But with more airlines wanting direct...this airport is overkill and environmental nightmare.
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

PyroGX41487

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:37 am

Omigod. If you guys don't need a towl by now, I sure do... that is the A380 of all airports...