EI321
Topic Author

Air Canada - Plans For European Expansion?

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:05 pm

Now that there are shiny new 777s on the way, what plans will AC have in store for new routes to Europe. The Toronto - Dublin - Shannon route remains seasonal, is there scope for a year round service? And what are the chances of a Vancouver - Dublin Route?

accargo

RE: Air Canada - Plans For European Expansion?

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:36 pm

Nil chance. Sorry but it just isn't a high yield route. In the winter demand shrinks to the point where AC can make more money using the acft on other routes.

cayman

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:37 pm

I would think they would look very seriously at re-starting YYZ MAD, especially with their big latin expansion out of YYZ.

I think YYZ MAD did fairly well and query as to whether it was suspended mostly because of a/c shortages at the time. daily 763 again seems reasonable.

cornish

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:41 pm

Quoting EI321 (Thread starter):
Now that there are shiny new 777s on the way, what plans will AC have in store for new routes to Europe.

I think they are more likely to focus expansion with the new aircraft to Asia first. By and large they are serving most of the Transatlantic routes they would expect decent yields on already. An exception being the long desired Beirut service....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

yow

Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:34 am

Hopefully the new triple sevens will free up a 767 to at long last launch YOW-FRA. The traffic is there.

accargo

Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:56 am

Quoting YOW" class=quote target=_blank>YOW (Reply 4):
Hopefully the new triple sevens will free up a 767 to at long last launch YOW-FRA. The traffic is there.

But is the yield there? That's what will decide whether new routes like YOW-FRA are started or not.

flyyul

Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:01 am

"I think YYZ MAD did fairly well and query as to whether it was suspended mostly because of a/c shortages at the time"

-That's a bold assumption. Although MAD remains an entertaining option, it is clear that it is certainly not a priority for AC.

kiwiandrew

Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:07 am

Quoting Cayman (Reply 2):
I would think they would look very seriously at re-starting YYZ MAD, especially with their big latin expansion out of YYZ.

I think YYZ MAD did fairly well and query as to whether it was suspended mostly because of a/c shortages at the time. daily 763 again seems reasonable.

I suspect that there might just be sufficient demand for a combined
YYZ-LIS/MAD service if it is getting fed by both TP and JK at the European end as well as AC at the North American end . Not sure if either MAD or LIS on their own could justify year round service - traffic might be there - but I suspect the yields are not .

YULMRS

Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:16 am

What about YUL-BRU and YUL-NCE. YUL-BRU was quite successful with Sabena, YUL-NCE looks like a good seasonal option.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 3):
An exception being the long desired Beirut service....

This one will be launched ... But, when ?
To any North American carrier, send us a regular flight in MRS !!!!!

cayman

Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:05 am

Quoting FLYYUL (Reply 6):
That's a bold assumption. Although MAD remains an entertaining option, it is clear that it is certainly not a priority for AC

Mark I think that is an equally bold assumption nothing is "clear that it is certainly not a priority.". I am aware first hand that AC latin american operations assume that at some point a return of YYz MAD would or will dove tail well with the successful expansion they have had into latin America. I am also told YYZ MAD did fine, it was an a/c shortage that suspended it.

Iberia have looked at YYZ as an expansion city and have not taken it any further on assumption AC will likely resume, just a question of time.

HanginOut

Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:55 am

Quoting YULMRS (Reply 8):
What about YUL-BRU and YUL-NCE. YUL-BRU was quite successful with Sabena, YUL-NCE looks like a good seasonal option.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 3):
An exception being the long desired Beirut service....

This one will be launched ... But, when ?

I agree with YULMRS, YUL-BRU would make a lot of sense.

As for Beirut, that will only commence once the Government approves the route (which it has declined to do so for security reasons).

Quoting CayMan (Reply 9):
I am aware first hand that AC latin american operations assume that at some point a return of YYz MAD would or will dove tail well with the successful expansion they have had into latin America. I am also told YYZ MAD did fine, it was an a/c shortage that suspended it.

Agreed, this route would make sense for AC if they really want to increase their market share (and hopefully yield) in Latin America.

HanginOut
Dreaming of the day I can work for an airline

imatams

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:34 am

What I'd like to see is YYZ-AMS becoming a year-round route, instead of a seasonal summer-schedule. Any chance on that?
And while they're at it, YVR-AMS would be even better  cool  yeah, right..

IM

ACYWG

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:43 am

Quoting IMatAMS (Reply 11):
What I'd like to see is YYZ-AMS becoming a year-round route, instead of a seasonal summer-schedule. Any chance on that?

I would imagine that the current situation is fine with KLM running that route with 744's and AF also sort of edging on that market from Paris. I don't see much of an increase on that one for the time being.

BigD

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:43 am

Accargo,

I would definitely think the yield is there for daily YOW-FRA service given that a lot of high yielding federal government and high tech employees often route through FRA to destinations throughout Europe, Africa and the Middle East. AC has previously stated its intentions to launch the route. My understanding is that the "delay" has been aircraft availability.

BigD

LHZXF

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:56 am

I don't know anything about AC expansion plans for the coming year though I do know they're dropping their seasonal GLA service ex YYZ. I think it's the first time AC wont serve direct from Canada in over 20years though I could be wrong about that.

Also I see them moving more towards cargo at the moment than pax routes especially after giving up their combi's.

Paul

CRJ900

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:06 am

What about Halifax? From reading about it on the web, it looks like a great city for both biz and pleasure, and the area has half a million people or so living there. Will AC fly more European routes from YHZ? I know Zoom fly to several cities from YHZ, but do you think there is potential for more year round flights, to Rome, Paris etc?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

dforce1

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:03 am

Does anyone know if there is a direct flight from any West Coast North American city to Spain/Portugal? I would be extremely surprised if everyone on the West Coast had to route through an Eastern City or connect in London.

Also, yield vs. traffic? Could someone please explain the difference and perhaps define what is referred to by yield?

cloud4000

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:43 am

No one has mentioned any expansion of more direct Canada-India service, including expanding service out of YYZ, and starting service out of YVR and/or YYC, all with heavy Indian populations.
Boston, USA

EI321
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:43 am

DFORCE1,

Off the top of my head.....

Iberia fly to Vancouver, LA, Seattle, San Diego among others

TAP to LA, San Fran, San diego

[Edited 2005-11-28 21:43:56]

ACDC8

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:44 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 18):
Iberia fly to Vancouver,

IB doesn't offer any services to YVR, I don't believe they ever have either.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

FLYACYYZ

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:45 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 18):
DFORCE1,

Off the top of my head.....

Iberia fly to Vancouver, LA, Seattle, San Diego among others

TAP to LA, San Fran, San diego

None of the above...

Probably some codeshare flights in place.
Above and Beyond

flyyul

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:46 am

Calgary-India.

Now ive heard it all.

EI321
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:48 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 19):
IB doesn't offer any services to YVR, I don't believe they ever have either

Sorry must be a code share, was on their website.

ACDC8

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:50 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 22):
Sorry must be a code share, was on their website.

Must be with AA going through the US, I don't ever recall seeing an IB flight number taged on to BA 084/085.

A342

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:56 am

Anyone to know how YYZ-MUC is doing ? If it does well, an A333 could be put on the route.
Also LH had MUC-YVR flights last summer, 3x/week with an A343. They weren´t restarted this summer. Maybe a 762ER could fly this route.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

yow

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:04 am

Quoting Accargo (Reply 5):
But is the yield there?

Given that over 60% of YOW's O&D traffic is comprised of biz pax, I'd say the yield is there. Big D summed it up nicely as to why exactly.

ACDC8

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting A342 (Reply 24):
Anyone to know how YYZ-MUC is doing ? If it does well, an A333 could be put on the route.
Also LH had MUC-YVR flights last summer, 3x/week with an A343. They weren´t restarted this summer. Maybe a 762ER could fly this route

The problem with YVR is that the majority of it's traffic is tourist based. That's why in the summer months one sees a large charter burst in YVR. During the winter months the airport just about dies off in regards to Euro services. The only 4 airlines that fly from YVR to Europe all year are:

AC to LHR
BA to LHR
KL to AMS
LH to FRA

and even some of these services are reduced during the winter months such as KLM from a MD11 to a B767 and LH from a B747 to an A340. So I wouldn't expect to see much Euro traffic in YVR in the near future.

[Edited 2005-11-28 22:23:11]

aircanl1011

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:20 am

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 15):
What about Halifax? From reading about it on the web, it looks like a great city for both biz and pleasure, and the area has half a million people or so living there. Will AC fly more European routes from YHZ? I know Zoom fly to several cities from YHZ, but do you think there is potential for more year round flights, to Rome, Paris etc?

Halifax may very well be a lovely place to visit but the chances of AC expanding routes from there are slim. There simply is not the demand and the justification for expansion from the Maritime Provinces.
CYMRU AM BYTH / WALES FOREVER

BCNGRO

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:58 am

What about a (seasonal) flight to BCN? It could be fed by JK from Spain and TP from Portugal plus they would get most of the cruise traffic in the Mediterranean.

After a big growth in the flights to the USA in the last years (DL, CO, US) I can't see why a flight to Canada shouldn't be profitable.
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

vinniewinnie

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:23 am

Brussels might be a good option although unfortunately I wonder if there would be enough demand! Etihad is already serving the destination from Toronto in partnership with SNBA so maybe that is just about enough for now!

A 767 Flying first to Brussels then maybe Beirut might do the trick no? What do you all reckon? If I'm correct there is a market between all these destinations! And with a nice codeshare with SNBA sure they could return maybe a modest but rather nice profit as well!

HanginOut

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:51 am

Quoting VinnieWinnie (Reply 29):
A 767 Flying first to Brussels then maybe Beirut might do the trick no? What do you all reckon? If I'm correct there is a market between all these destinations! And with a nice codeshare with SNBA sure they could return maybe a modest but rather nice profit as well!

As noted in my post above, AC will not fly to Beirut until the Canadian Government allows it to (for security reasons - that won't be solved any time soon). As for a codeshare with SNBA, why? AC already codeshares with BMI and LH, who both fly there.

Also, Etihad flies YYZ-BRU. I recommended that AC fly YUL-BRU. I think that the market would be larger to connect two large French speaking cities with a daily flight, than 3X weekly to Toronto. If they had a daily flight, that would be better but the bilateral agreement does not allow this.

HanginOut
Dreaming of the day I can work for an airline

b741

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:00 am

I'm sure YWG-LHR will work. Heck, it used to run for about 20 years straight before it was dropped.
Being Bilingual, I Speak English And Aviation

ACYWG

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:58 am

Quoting B741 (Reply 31):
I'm sure YWG-LHR will work. Heck, it used to run for about 20 years straight before it was dropped.

I agree. It ran for years! only problem now might be that at peak hours the terminal is almost at capacity. Since a widebody requires adjacent gates to be shut down for the plane to gate in it might be only useable as a charter until the new terminal comes fully online in 2009.

Boeing744

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:24 am

Quoting B741 (Reply 31):

That world be an interesting route. I think it could work, because it would get a lot of connecting passengers from Saskatchewan and YEG. That would make a total of 7 cities that AC flys to LHR from.

Quoting YOW" class=quote target=_blank>YOW (Reply 25):

I think a flight to FRA from YOW would have great yields, with many business and government pax. It would be a great codeshare for LH too.

Quoting BCNGRO (Reply 28):

This is maybe feasable, but I think that it would be better to have it as a continuation on a MAD or LIS flight.

Quoting Cloud4000 (Reply 17):

Quoting FLYYUL (Reply 21):

I agree that YYC to India would not work, but a YVR flight would be great. I think it would have high enough loads to even use an A343. If there is enough traffic from YYC, why not just connect through YVR?

Another good route may be a (seasonal)YVR-CDG. I know it has been attempted in the past and dropped, but now that AC will have some extra aircraft, why not try it?

ACDC8

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:29 am

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 33):
Another good route may be a (seasonal)YVR-CDG. I know it has been attempted in the past and dropped, but now that AC will have some extra aircraft, why not try it?

Zoom is going to have a go at it this coming summer, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

don81603

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:40 am

Quoting B741 (Reply 31):

Zoom has started flights from YWG-LGW, but from what I've seen, the frequency is poor (every other week if I read it correctly)

As for AC's new 777's, I'm curious if they will put them on the YVR-SYD route freeing up the 767's for other shorter routes.

As for thge widebodies taking 2 gates at YWG, I haven't heard of any space issues with Zoom bringing in the 767's.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Boeing744

Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:53 pm

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 35):
As for AC's new 777's, I'm curious if they will put them on the YVR-SYD route freeing up the 767's for other shorter routes.

I am sure if the 777s were put on the Sydney route, it would cease to stop in HNL. Right? Then AC could just keep using a 767 on YVR-HNL.

yyz717

Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:17 pm

Quoting B741 (Reply 31):

Not a chance. Winnipeg is in relative long-term economic decline. Once Canada's 4th largest city, it is now 8th. YWG also has relatively few HQ's which limits the business travel component. If AC cannot even make LHR-YEG work, LHR-YWG does not have a chance.

Even charter carriers avoid YWG-London (altho Zoom did enter this market in summer 2005).

With AC's high labour costs, we will never see LHR-YWG ever again. Sorry for the bad prediction. Just stating facts.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

ACYWG

Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:49 pm

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 37):
Not a chance. Winnipeg is in relative long-term economic decline. Once Canada's 4th largest city, it is now 8th. YWG also has relatively few HQ's which limits the business travel component.

Even charter carriers avoid YWG-London (altho Zoom did enter this market in summer 2005).

With AC's high labour costs, we will never see LHR-YWG ever again. Sorry for the bad prediction. Just stating facts.

You've obviously spent little time in Manitoba, specifically YWG. Where are you from again anyhow? It seems to change weekly. I hardly see how Winnipeg is not a center for commerce, when you look at it in a larger picture. Winnipeg is home to businesses like Great-West/Manulife Financial, Agricore, Standard Aero, Allstream Communications as well as one of the largest communications companies in the country - Canwest.

On top of that, Winnipeg is an old city. It's not a flashy city like Calgary or Edmonton, its sister cities in the west, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have money, YWG and its citizens have a lot more money than you think.

If AC cannot even make LHR-YEG work, LHR-YWG does not have a chance.

The Only thing that Edmonton has going for it is Oil, which really means you get a lot of texans there, and last I checked CO was pulling out of the YEG-IAH market, what does that tell you?

I believe in the strategy of "if you build it, they will come."
Just bring it Air Canada, we'll make it worth your while.

yyz717

Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:49 pm

Quoting ACYWG (Reply 38):
You've obviously spent little time in Manitoba, specifically YWG. Where are you from again anyhow? It seems to change weekly. I hardly see how Winnipeg is not a center for commerce, when you look at it in a larger picture. Winnipeg is home to businesses like Great-West/Manulife Financial, Agricore, Standard Aero, Allstream Communications as well as one of the largest communications companies in the country - Canwest.

You're not listening. YWG used to be Canada's 4th largest city. Now 8th. It has been eclipsed by YYC and YEG both of which used to be smaller cities. Those HQ's in YWG pale in comparison to the much larger HQ concentration in YYC and YEG, not to mention the higher per capita income.

When even charter carriers (who much lower operating costs than AC) avoid YWG-London, what makes you think AC would be interested in the market?

If AC cannot even make LHR-YEG work, LHR-YWG does not have a chance.

The Only thing that Edmonton has going for it is Oil,

Chuckle. Well that oil has increased YEG's population in 30 years to about 50% more than YWG (it used to be less) and with a higher pci. And even then AC is not interested in LHR-YEG.

Just bring it Air Canada, we'll make it worth your while.

Ya right.

I accept that as a YWG-er, you are a booster of YWG, but no economic or demographic reality exists today that would ever support sked service from YWG to London. Ever again.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

threepoint

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:06 pm

Winnipeg is in relative long-term economic decline. Once Canada's 4th largest city, it is now 8th.

I disagree with your logic. Your current ranking merely suggests that other cities are enjoying higher population growth and in no way implies that YWG is declining economically. The two concepts (population vs economy) are not necessarily inextricably tied together.

Having said all that, I would imagine YWG-LHR lies somewhere on the lower end of the AC priority list.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

yyz717

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:21 pm

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 40):
Winnipeg is in relative long-term economic decline. Once Canada's 4th largest city, it is now 8th.

I disagree with your logic. Your current ranking merely suggests that other cities are enjoying higher population growth and in no way implies that YWG is declining economically. The two concepts (population vs economy) are not necessarily inextricably tied together.

The key word is "relatively" which I have mentioned several times. I can remember as a kid in YWG in summer 1975 seeing a daily AC 741 arrive from LHR/YYZ when YWG was a natural transatlantic city for AC. YWG also had CP 742/D10 service to AMS. YWG's population has barely grown since then. AC's growth is now focused elsewhere. YWG (and YUL) as cities are in relative economic decline compared to YYZ, YYC, YEG and YVR.

threepoint

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:33 pm

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 41):
YWG (and YUL) as cities are in relative economic decline compared to YYZ, YYC, YEG and YVR.

Let's agree to disagree. While the four cities you mentioned are likely doing better economically and are more attractive destinations for air carriers, YWG and YUL are by no means in any sort of decline. They continue to post positive growth...just more slowly. Any reduction in national influence should not be confused with a decline in wealth or economic activity.
Historical service using a large aircraft type does not indicate profitability...this country abounds with cases of airlines using inappropriate aircraft types on low yield routes. Whether YWG was suitable for previous service to LHR/AMS, I honestly don't know.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

yyz717

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:37 pm

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 42):
Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 41):
YWG (and YUL) as cities are in relative economic decline compared to YYZ, YYC, YEG and YVR.

Let's agree to disagree. While the four cities you mentioned are likely doing better economically and are more attractive destinations for air carriers, YWG and YUL are by no means in any sort of decline.

"Relative" decline. That's what growing slower means.

The PCI in YWG is markedly lower than that of YYC, YEG and YVR. Hence any WestCan expansion by AC will be in those markets, not YWG.

katanapilot

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:46 pm

With 1.2 million people in Ottawa-Gatineau, and a projected growth of 50% (1.8 million) by 2020, I'm certain we will see a lot of new routes out of YOW in the next few years. By the time these planes are delivered, i'm sure FRA will be viable, and maybe even CDG (ottawa region has over 500,000 francaphones which will help).

I'm sick of flying through YYZ and YUL to get anywhere ha ha.

kaitak744

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:06 pm

Well, keep in mind that they only have a hand full of 777s will be fleet expansion. The majority is going towards fleet replacement. Same with the 787, which will replace the 767 1 on 1.

Air Canada has stated that they will use the 5 777-200LRs on YZZ-HGK and YVR-SYD (non-stop). The YZZ-DEL will be switched to 787-8. (temporary A340-500 until 787 arrives)

(they did order 5 -200LRs right? Forgive me if I am wrong)

ACDC8

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:04 pm

Personally, I can't see any long haul routes originating in YWG, YEG, YOW or YHZ. YOW is too close to YYZ and YUL and YEG is to close to YYC and even YVR. YWG is not of interest to enough people to justify starting a long haul route somewhere, even LHR. It would seem to make more economic sense (for the next several years at least), just to increase capacity out of YVR, YYC, YYZ and YUL if needed and increase the feed into these cities.

LH121GLA

Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:09 pm

Quoting LHZXF (Reply 14):
I think it's the first time AC wont serve direct from Canada in over 20years though I could be wrong about that.

I think it's actually closer to 60 years!!

krisyyz

Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:24 pm

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 45):
they did order 5 -200LRs right? Forgive me if I am wrong

As far as I know, neither AC nor Boeing has given an exact breakdown of AC's B777 order. I do know that the first 3 aircraft will be B777ERs.

Personally I would think the majority of the 18 B777 will be LR's.

Krisyyz

FLYACYYZ

Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:41 pm

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 45):
The YZZ-DEL will be switched to 787-8. (temporary A340-500 until 787 arrives)

Don't see the A345's being put on Delhi. The company is a stickler when it comes to fleet commonality, and I see the A345's the first out the door as the 777's arrive. Personally see the 777 on the route, but only after higher-yield and priority routes are looked after (Asia, Australia, South America). Until then..enjoy the stopover at ZRH.

Quoting A342 (Reply 24):

I operated what I believe was the last A330 flight MUC-YYZ. It was September 11, 2001. They operated for two summers with 333 equipment to accomodate higher demand. MUC flights are heavy, and if not for the ongoing equipment shortage, would probably once again see 333's during peak season.
Above and Beyond