TheSonntag
Topic Author

DBA And AirBerlin To Cooperate

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:57 am

I didn't find a thread on this topic yet, even though this surprised me. So if it already was posted, just delete it  Smile

Air Berlin and DBA announced today that they will cooperate, from December it will be possible to book AB flights via the DBA homepage and vice-versa.

This is no merger, just a cooperation, but it is an interesting development.

Michael

Beaucaire

RE: DBA And AirBerlin To Cooperate

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:29 am

I also find it surprising nobody mentioned it on this forum -because a possible marriage between the two companies would build Europe's second largest Lowcost carrier..
Air Berlin has currently 51 Planes, DBA 31 and GEXX about 18 (without counting the ones leased to DBA..)
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

A350

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:16 am

A co-operation, or even one day a merger of these airlines would definitely a smart step. They fit together very well, since they are all a kind of hybrid between LCC and legacy and offer excellent alternatives to both.

A350

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:36 am

Quoting A350 (Reply 2):

True, especially as both offer inflight service. While the dba service isn't great (one drink and a snack), it is better than nothing.

There is one point, however, where the philosophies are completely different. AB hates unions and has a dubious opinion towards employees rights, while DBA traditionally is very open towards this issue. But as long as this is no merger, I see no problems coming up.

To me it is extremely surprising to see that DBA is still around. They have been on my "death" list for years, because they usually made losses. It seems Wöhrl has changed it, and I really like the airline. So I am sure DBA has a future...

TriStar500

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:54 pm

This is merely the first, very shallow step in what could possible become a full-blown cooperation. Right now, both airlines are only offering the flights of their respective partner on their own website, but don't codeshare or pay commission for bookings via the other website.

Personally, I strongly hope that both airlines will at least integrate their schedule under one frequent flyer program - this alone would probably already be a strong competitor for Lufthansa's measely "Miles&Less" program here in Germany.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Beaucaire

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:07 pm

Together they would be nearly as big as Easyjet in terms of aircraft number ( DBA,Air Berlin ,Niki and GEXX combined )
But at this stage Air Berlin ist still mainly a warm-water Airline with increasing number of "business destinations" ,whereas DBA is purely a" Business destination" company.The combined airline-group should have more destinations away from pure warm water airports and add France to it's list of countries.(other than Paris,already served by Air Berlin,Niki and DBA )
Also Croatia is missing on their list,although competetive airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet are targeting the former Yougoslavia.With the former flag-carrier JAT being in bad shape,Beograd would be an interesting destination as well.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...