airxliban

Question About SU IL-62M Photo

Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:41 pm

Featured on A.net's homepage now:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Felix Goetting

Was the photo taken at such a high shutter speed that the blades appear not to be turning, or was this engine not on at the time?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

DH106

RE: Question About SU IL-62M Photo

Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:06 am

Those front set visible in the inner engine are stationary stator blades and don't turn.
...I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate....

airxliban

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:50 am

Ah - thanks for the explanation. What do the front blades do if they're not moving?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

American 767

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:55 pm

I think the "blades" that you see not turning are installed to regulate the flow of air into the engine intake and then into the fan blades. If you look closely you'll see just behind those non moving blades, another set of blades turning at high speed. Great picture!

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Ben Soriano

Eirjet

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:23 pm

What many people don't know, (but I am in the know) Is that all the pilots on the Il-62 fleet with Aeroflot back in the 80's/ 90's were Soviet Hand Gliding champions. Cpt. Egor Kristovich (who more than likely is piloting the a/c in this picture) Was the undisputed Russian Gliding Champion from 1986-90.

Due to his heavy workload with the national carrier, he only managed every second Thursday in the month for glider practice - to be a champion, this was not nearly enough - so in order to maintain his talents he received clearance from the Russian aviation authority to use some light practice when operating commercial flights, hence the above picture would be Kristovich 'showing off' his talents at 32,000 ft with all engines shut down, this rare occurrence was only approved during day time flying and when the Capt was making visual approaches to his destination.

Krishovich no longer flies with Aeroflot, his talents are no being utilized by Ryanair as Michael O'Leary wishes to spearhead a new initiative within his airline to add further savings to FR's accounts -

It was announces this morning that Cpt. Kristovich and an Irish pilot by the name of Ciaran O'Brien will begin test flights on 738's with 1 LTR fuel tanks. This will allow FR burn fuel only on take-off and glide the remainder of the flight,to their destination.

If you wish to learn more, please drop me a line.

Eirjet  hyper 
Aviation has a 100% record, we've never left one up there......

LH459

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:46 am

Quoting Eirjet (Reply 4):
What many people don't know, (but I am in the know) Is that all the pilots on the Il-62 fleet with Aeroflot back in the 80's/ 90's were Soviet Hand Gliding champions. Cpt. Egor Kristovich (who more than likely is piloting the a/c in this picture) Was the undisputed Russian Gliding Champion from 1986-90.

Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!  rotfl 
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

levg79

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:20 am

I think the same thing is with the MD-80s, where the outer blades on the engine are not moving. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Leo.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.