airbear

SYD-LHR Nonstop...Is It Really Desireable?

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:39 pm

With QF's fleet decision due this week, I was thinking... would I really want to from SYD-LHR non-stop? I can see some "human" problems associated with such an flights.

The problems I see mainly relate to hygene conditions. Firstly, as opposed to airlines such as CX or SQ, where I have noticed the FA's keeping the toilets clean on a regular basis during long flights, even in Y class, I have never seen QF FA's do this. So, when toilets block up or run out of toilet paper or paper towels or just become filthy and smelly, with 300 or so people on board for 20 hours I can see the potential for big trouble.

Will QF have to employ an extra crew member just as an in-flight janitor/cabin maintainance person to keep things running smoothly - as well as smaller things like galley equipment, or will several blocked toilets at one time, cause a diversion?

DfwRevolution

RE: SYD-LHR Nonstop...Is It Really Desireable?

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:49 pm

Quoting Airbear (Thread starter):
With QF's fleet decision due this week, I was thinking... would I really want to from SYD-LHR non-stop?

A smaller, premium market is always willing to pay for a more spacious cabin and shorter flight. For some people, saving several hours in trip time may be worth the time spent couped up in the cabin...

So, when toilets block up or run out of toilet paper or paper towels or just become filthy and smelly, with 300 or so people on board for 20 hours I can see the potential for big trouble.

No aircraft will be able to carry 300 passengers on this route, period. A more likely configuration is a 772LR with 180-220 seats.

Will QF have to employ an extra crew member just as an in-flight janitor/cabin maintainance person to keep things running smoothly

They haven't even announced they will begin such service. If they do, I suspect they will have no choice but to create a subproduct addressing these issues.

N1120A

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:59 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 1):
For some people, saving several hours in trip time may be worth the time spent couped up in the cabin...

A non-stop flight would only save 2-2.5 hours on the trip
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jacobin777

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:11 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 2):

yes..but its also the fact pax won't have to wake up and during the flight for arrivals, departures, etc...not to mention, I don't know about how it works on the SYD-LHR-SYD route, but in USA-Pakistan/India-USA routes, pax have to get off the plane...such a majour inconvenience.....

having flown on 14-16 hour flights, a few extra hours wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for a nonstop flight......like SQ's SIN-EWR flight.
"Up the Irons!"

LAXDESI

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:32 pm

Is that flying time or does it include 1.5 hour spent at an intermediate stop?

mariner

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:36 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 3):
ot to mention, I don't know about how it works on the SYD-LHR-SYD route, but in USA-Pakistan/India-USA routes, pax have to get off the plane...such a majour inconvenience.....

Ever since that appalling Forgeard thread, I don't participate in anything remorely resembling A v B.

This thread verges on that, so I'll stress that my comment is only to you, in a spirit of trying to help you get more out of life.

On your USA/sub-continent flights, try a stopover, in say, somewhere nice. Paris. London. Beirut, even.

It's what many do from SYD to LHR. A couple of days in Singapore or - better yet, Bangkok - does wonders for the shopping!

I'm almost thinking of planning a trip to Europe now so I can justify stopping in Bangkok and buying some fabric at the Jim Thompson Shop - at one quarter of the price I would pay in Oz.

Not to mention a couple of great meals.

I worry about you. Put some fun in your flying.

Smile

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

aa757first

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:39 pm

Will QF have to employ an extra crew member just as an in-flight janitor/cabin maintainance person to keep things running smoothly - as well as smaller things like galley equipment, or will several blocked toilets at one time, cause a diversion?

Or they can make the flight attendants do it. Considering, you know, its their job...

AAndrew

blrsea

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:48 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 5):
On your USA/sub-continent flights, try a stopover, in say, somewhere nice. Paris. London. Beirut, even.

It's what many do from SYD to LHR. A couple of days in Singapore or - better yet, Bangkok - does wonders for the shopping!

Unfortunately, you don't understand desis (people from Indian subcontinent)  Smile They want to spend as much time as possible in their own country during their vacation. And typical US annual vacations being just 2-3 weeks, many would prefer to get to their destination as soon as possible.

FYI, the stopover in Europe for US-India flights over atlantic, the stopover is in London/Paris/Frankfurt etc. Over the Pacific, it is more likely to be Seoul/HKG/Singapore/Kaula Lampur/Bangkok, typically one-two stopovers over pacific depending on your route.

As for the business travellers, well they can't have 1-2 day stopovers everytime on their trip. Big grin

Simpilicity

Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm

desireable? Of course but it won't happen. LHR/SYD on the other hand probably will. Westbound might be able to fly PER/LHR NONSTOP?

mariner

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:01 pm

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 7):
Unfortunately, you don't understand desis (people from Indian subcontinent)

As equally, I could say that you don't understand Australians and New Zealanders.  Smile

However, I thought I had made it clear that my message was not for all "desis" - or for all Aussies or all Kiwis. Or even all Brits. Or all anyone.

It was purely and simply for Jacobin777. I am sorry that I did not make that clear enough.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

MarshalN

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:05 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 3):
yes..but its also the fact pax won't have to wake up and during the flight for arrivals, departures, etc...not to mention, I don't know about how it works on the SYD-LHR-SYD route, but in USA-Pakistan/India-USA routes, pax have to get off the plane...such a majour inconvenience.....

having flown on 14-16 hour flights, a few extra hours wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for a nonstop flight......like SQ's SIN-EWR flight.

I've been on quite a few 16 hour segments, and I have to say that 16 hours is about the max I can take it on a plane in one stretch. I simply cannot imagine myself sitting in a plane for 20 hours. Some people might not mind, but I think at that point I'm just going to say "forget it, I'm taking a stopover".

N1120A

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:12 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 4):
Is that flying time or does it include 1.5 hour spent at an intermediate stop?

Yes, it should
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jacobin777

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:08 pm

This thread verges on that, so I'll stress that my comment is only to you, in a spirit of trying to help you get more out of life.

I hope I wasn't imbuing you in any way.. no 

sometimes people don't have the freedom to do that and they must get to their destination ASAP......I would like to have the joy of stopping for a couple of days in Singapore or Bangkok........maybe next spring while on my way to SYD...

I worry about you. Put some fun in your flying.

lol..thanks for the concern cheerful ...I'll be a-ok (I think)..in fact, I'll be flying in a few hours..buts its only a "short" flight compared to SYD-LHR.....

it gets a bit old and stale after a while...even with my laptop and a powerport plug, there is so much I can do in terms of work, play video games, watch movies, and look out the window......

I'm hoping there will be more air carriers getting the Connexion by Boeing internet, I wouldn't mind paying an extra $30 for all flight internet, especially if its a loooong flight....

Quoting Mariner (Reply 9):

It was purely and simply for Jacobin777. I am sorry that I did not make that clear enough.

i feel exclusive... Smile

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 10):
I've been on quite a few 16 hour segments, and I have to say that 16 hours is about the max I can take it on a plane in one stretch. I simply cannot imagine myself sitting in a plane for 20 hours. Some people might not mind, but I think at that point I'm just going to say "forget it, I'm taking a stopover".

you have a valid point there, but if I can log onto A.net from a plane then I think I can bare the extra few hours... biggrin 

wave 
"Up the Irons!"

Gemuser

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:30 pm

How do you work that out?

While nobody knows exactly, yet, I think its more likley 3.5-4.5 hours. My calculation:

1) Stop over time: 1:40, But this is doors open to doors closed time, add
2)Actual landing & taxi time and actual taxi & take of time. At SIN this seems to about 20-25m each, so lets say 45min.
3)Time from FL390 to ground, net. About 30min
4) Time to FL 280, with full fuel load, about 30 min
5) Time FL280 to FL390, several hours,but lets call it a net 20min diffrence to flight time.
6) Distance saved about 30min

Total 3:15. IMHO this would be the minimum under normal operating conditions. Calculations base on QF9 MEl-SIN-LHR timetable, B744.

The current scheduled elapesed time is 23.5 hours. A non stop service COULD, MAYBE be scheduled for 20 hours.

I would certianly opt for this non stop, all other things being equal. I think most Ozzies/Kiwis would agree.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

Beaucaire

Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:03 pm

A more medical and health related aspect that would me make hesitate to use a 20 hour non-stopper is the lack of humidity in the aircraft.
After eight hours I have dried out nostrils,dry skin and sometimes get tears in my eyes.So an intermediate stop of just 1,5 hours helps to re-hydrate the body.
As a previous post suggests rightly so,the toilets will look horrible after 12 hours without service and the smell that evaporates to the seats close to the sanitary area in any aircraft after many hours in-flight is not amusing.
From a more technical point of view - to transport fuel for a 20 hours non-stopper SYD-LHR is somewhat penalizing,in that you have to consider an additional amount of fuel to transport more fuel...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

BestWestern

Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:13 pm

I did SYD LHR earlier this year. Non Stop - forget it - Its way too long a flight. I was in Business, and with the additional space, etc I was still looking forward to my stop over at ICN, where I got a good six hours sleep in the transit hotel, and some shopping in. Much better than another 13 hours onboard. ( I recommend the KE service)

So, you take a non stop, and arrive wrecked into Heathrow in the early morning... only saving over the QF one stop was leaving from SYD two hours later.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

jeffrito

Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:19 pm

As I understand it, the associated aircraft will be outfitted with hypersleep chambers, which are currently under development. The bugs are being worked out, as early models required constant rebooting and passengers complained of chronic pinky-toe cramps.

mikedlayer

Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:39 pm

I've never flown the route, however will be doing so in the coming year so I'm not quite sure how such a long flight is going to feel to me.

But having flown many long flights myself, my view on the matter is that you just have to get on and do it. Sooner you start, sooner you finish. I'm not sure a couple of hours break would make much difference on such a long flight, would it?

A342

Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:42 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 1):
No aircraft will be able to carry 300 passengers on this route, period.

Do you exclude a potential A388R ? The A380 has a lot of growth potential.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

ba319-131

Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:01 pm

Quoting MarshalN (Reply 10):

- I agree, take a stop, far better.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 15):
I did SYD LHR earlier this year. Non Stop - forget it - Its way too long a flight. I was in Business, and with the additional space, etc I was still looking forward to my stop over at ICN, where I got a good six hours sleep in the transit hotel, and some shopping in. Much better than another 13 hours onboard

- I'm planning a SYD trip next year, and plan a stop en route too!!
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

ozglobal

Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:19 pm

I've done this trip 16 times in 5 years for business, in J class. Once in Y.

i) When you're already travelling 23hrs flying time, closer to 28 door-door, what is the big deal about reducing the flying time to 20hrs (make that earlier meeting? I don't think so)
ii) Business travel is as much about arriving fit for work as it is about arriving as quickly as possible. If I get there 2hrs earlier, but de-hydrated, sleep deprived and, along with my fellow passagers, smelling somewhat 'lived-in', am I better off?

On the other hand in current J class services:
i) The Kangaroo route breaks into comfortable sectors Europe-SIN (12-13hrs) / SIN-SYD/MEL 7-8hrs. There's plenty of time to sleep, eat, work, watch movies, even with the stopover of 1.5hrs
ii) Most of us need a freshen up after 13hrs in a plane. Go to the lounge, have a shower or use the pool on the roof of the airport; take a massage or at least go for a long walk - Much better for the sense of well-being and condition on arrival
iii) Crews: you get a fully fresh crew in Asia, whilst continuing in the same a/c and flt number. Crews can pass their 'use by date' after 12hrs. Yes I know you would carry additional crew, but they will not be as fresh.
iv) What will be served for the 3rd and 4th meal services? Spacefood?

I don't see the value propostition, even for business travellers. I'll stick with the one stop service in J and look forward to QF's A380 service with more space (only 474 seats) and in flight lounges in each class (F,J,Y).
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Ryan h

Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:22 pm

If I had to I could probably do a flight that long, but I do like a stopover on a long flight to stretch my legs etc.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

Aither

Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:36 pm

There is the health issue but also the environmental issue : on such very long haul flight, it's more fuel/environment efficient to do one stop -even if that means two take off- in order not to carry the extra tons of fuel and food and water etc necessary for the whole non stop flight.

All these more fuel efficient aircraft manufacturers are advertising are worthless if they make the overall network "not fuel optimized".

[Edited 2005-12-03 12:38:58]

[Edited 2005-12-03 12:40:25]
Never trust the obvious

sllevin

Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:48 pm

You know how the last five minutes waiting for the jetway to come to the plane seems to take forever? That's what the stopover is like -- just an eternity. Especially from Europe...just when you are ready to crash out for real, you have to straighten up, land, get off the plane, etc etc., then back on the plane, and finally get going again. Now, if I were travelling in coach, I'd see some argument to wanting the stop, but in F or J, no thanks, I'd rather just keep on truckin!

Steve

sunrisevalley

Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:51 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 8):
Westbound might be able to fly PER/LHR NONSTOP?

You clearly are not up to speed with the subject. Firstly QF called for 10000nm still air capability, secondly, who ever said that there would be a westbound leg?
Given the typical winds, the SYD-LHR route would usually be east bound , thus a true round the world flight.
There was a response to a thread on this list a while ago that stated that SQ use an east bound route , when winds dictate it , from EWR to SIN.

A319XFW

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:41 pm

Doesn't AC fly direct YYZ to DEL direct with their A345's? And then probably soon with their 772's?

Quoting A342 (Reply 18):
Do you exclude a potential A388R ? The A380 has a lot of growth potential.

The A388 doesn't have a centre tank at the mo, so it depends if the 30000kg extra will get you there.... But unlikely. But never say never, as with 'only' 300 passengers it's 200 less than normal, but the 300 pax would have to pay the difference (extra) the other 200 would have....

MiCorazonAzul

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:51 pm

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 6):
Or they can make the flight attendants do it. Considering, you know, its their job...

yea, like our flight attendants that clean the entire plane in between flights.

I am personally not a huge fan of these ultra long haul flights.
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

Boogyjay

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:42 am

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 25):
The A388 doesn't have a centre tank at the mo, so it depends if the 30000kg extra will get you there....

The A380-800ER will have a central wingbox fuel tank adding 60000l i.e. ~48000kg of extra fuel, not 30000kg.

whitehatter

Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:57 am

The BBC had a reporter on the Boeing test flight recently from HKG to LHR, who did a piece on flying ultra-longhaul. His report was not good. Nothing against the aircraft and its performance, just the flight and its effect on him.

Apart from the couple of hours gained on a theoretical ULR flight from Australia to London, the major negative factor is psychological. That halfway (or whatever) break in the journey is a factor which helps to make the trip bearable for a great many passengers. Even if it's just a refueling stop there is an effect on the passenger which 'resets' their mental clock with regard to boredom and endurance of the journey.

Even front cabin travel is not going to mitigate that. There is a psychological barrier to get over for those long flights which has a massively draining effect on the passenger, who may well get off at the other end demanding they be rerouted on the return to a flight which makes at least one stop.

The economics of the operation are another factor, but it's the number of hours locked in that tube which is going to be a huge hurdle. That's what the BBC guy found the hardest, those endless hours sat in the 772LR without any major change in the scenery or activities around him. Sending someone on a business trip isn't going to be desirable if they emerge at the other end as a wreck.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

A319XFW

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:05 am

Quoting BoogyJay (Reply 27):
The A380-800ER will have a central wingbox fuel tank adding 60000l i.e. ~48000kg of extra fuel, not 30000kg.

Surely you mean the A380-800F? As the planning so far is that will have a centre tank (unless FedEx, UPS and Emirates decide not to have it).
But like on all Airbus products (A320, A330 and A340 at least) they didn't have centre tanks to start with and then that was changed.

Don't forget that only the rear section of the centre wingbox will be used as the centre tank (mid spar to rear spar). But you might be right and I was remembering wrong.... Shall have to check when I get to work  Smile

Paul

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:37 am

Yeah its only desireable if you in C or F.

I do the trip every year and always in Business, there is no way on earth I would ever sit in Y for that length of time. I swear I would not go even if someone paid my ticket for me.

However I kind of like having a stopover and getting up and stretching the legs at the airports, it also gives one a chance to check other international business lounges. Great stuff!

Regards

Paul
Veni, vidi, vici.

Ken777

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:47 am

I've done US to Australia about 60 times since starting my own little business and for the past few years have used the RTW approach instead of plain round trips. While I could head straight to LHR from Australia I find it far better to stop in Asia. My 60+ year old body does not like flights over 15 hours (nor does it like west to east flights, which is why I went the RTW route).

the simple fact is that I arrive in LHR in far better shape after a night (or a few) in Asia, plus I get to experience the different cities that I can fly through on the way. Since I am a one man company I can make a decision that stopping for health reasons is important and there is no boss to tell me not to. The benefits of seeing the world is well worth the few days I miss at the office and is far better for my health. I'll pass on the non-stop.

AC787

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:16 am

Quoting SunriseValley (Reply 24):
Given the typical winds, the SYD-LHR route would usually be east bound , thus a true round the world flight.

Is this true? I had always pictured it would still go the usual route of west bound across asia.

Boogyjay

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:20 am

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 29):
Surely you mean the A380-800F? As the planning so far is that will have a centre tank (unless FedEx, UPS and Emirates decide not to have it).

Well not really. In an Air&Cosmos article about the A380-MRTB, they say it'll be based on the A388F. Then they later add: "Optionnaly, Jean-Christophe Poisson proposes the modification planned for the A380-800ER, that is to bring the tank capacity to 370,000 liters (against 310,000 liters) using the central wingbox".
That's where I got it but I'd be more than happy to have more infos if you can have and can release some.  Smile

N79969

Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:10 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 28):
Apart from the couple of hours gained on a theoretical ULR flight from Australia to London, the major negative factor is psychological. That halfway (or whatever) break in the journey is a factor which helps to make the trip bearable for a great many passengers. Even if it's just a refueling stop there is an effect on the passenger which 'resets' their mental clock with regard to boredom and endurance of the journey.

Quoting Aither (Reply 22):
There is the health issue but also the environmental issue : on such very long haul flight, it's more fuel/environment efficient to do one stop -even if that means two take off- in order not to carry the extra tons of fuel and food and water etc necessary for the whole non stop flight.

All these more fuel efficient aircraft manufacturers are advertising are worthless if they make the overall network "not fuel optimized".

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 20):
i) When you're already travelling 23hrs flying time, closer to 28 door-door, what is the big deal about reducing the flying time to 20hrs (make that earlier meeting? I don't think so)

Amazingly none of these tech/operational issues or expressions of social concern are raised when discussing existing 17-18 hour flights operated by Thai, Singapore Air, etc with A340-500. Coincidence? I think not. I am not sure what magical flight duration line is being crossed here.

I guarantee that if Qantas was on the verge of ordering 345 (or actually does so on December 7 and surprise everyone), we would see 180 degree turns in the points of view expressed above.

I think Airbear is raising good points. Flights of such duration creates complexities stemming from human factors and economic considerations. Qantas will have to address issues such as hygiene and so on.

Aither

Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:55 am

Quoting N79969 (Reply 34):
Amazingly none of these tech/operational issues or expressions of social concern are raised when discussing existing 17-18 hour flights operated by Thai, Singapore Air, etc with A340-500. Coincidence? I think not. I am not sure what magical flight duration line is being crossed here.

You watch X-Files too much.

I would not like to fly SIN-EWR non stop as well. I was not saying UlR routes cannot be profitable, as long as they attract a lot of business traffic, but from an ecological standpoint this is not good.

Also the importance of "time" can be different : i guess in the US, time is more important -> "Time is Money".
For many other countries, especially in Asia but in Europe as well, time seems to "cost less".

[Edited 2005-12-03 20:03:18]
Never trust the obvious

airxliban

Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:06 am

Just out of curiosity, when we are talking about a distance as far as SYD-LHR, would drilling through the centre of earth create a path of shorter distance than the comparative air travel route?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

anstar

Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:07 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 6):

Shhhhh. Don't tell the QF Cabin Crew this....

N79969

Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:26 am

Quoting Aither (Reply 35):
You watch X-Files too much.

This is just a perplexing comment..

Quoting Aither (Reply 35):
I would not like to fly SIN-EWR non stop as well. I was not saying UlR routes cannot be profitable, as long as they attract a lot of business traffic, but from an ecological standpoint this is not good.

Also the importance of "time" can be different : i guess in the US, time is more important -> "Time is Money".
For many other countries, especially in Asia but in Europe as well, time seems to "cost less".

There have been numerous threads devoted to ULH flights...yet the silence from you and your like-minded ilk on the very issues raised above is simply deafening. The "ecology" issue that you raise has elevated the standard for disingenous, bogus arguments to a new (and yet again perplexing) height.

This thread is about an Australian (perhaps the most laid-back people on the planet) company that is seemingly on the verge of betting hundreds of millions of dollars on the idea that Europeans and Australians are willing to fork out to top Dollar/British Pound to save a few hours on this trip. This flight has no connection to the United States.

For a certain part of the world's population regardless of nationality-- time is money. Qantas is betting on it apparently...as have many others.

This is nothing new. About 35 years ago, flying between the the west coast of the United States to Europe required stops. So did flying between Europe and Asia. Now they are all almost non-stop and I do not hear anyone complaining about the new convenience.

[Edited 2005-12-03 20:31:24]

mNeo

Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:41 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 36):
Just out of curiosity, when we are talking about a distance as far as SYD-LHR, would drilling through the centre of earth create a path of shorter distance than the comparative air travel route?

Yes it would be shorter. Infact If one wer to drill underground from any two distant points the distance would be MUCH shorter. Just take any ball and you will realize that the distance would be cut by about 1/4th(?)